lo to hi

g.lowtharp

Reaction score
Visit site
my morimoto mini d2s will not switch from lo to hi.I switched the solenoid wires and when I pulled wire out it switched to hi. Just make contact back and forth and it switches lo hi. Either wire does this.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did they run seperate wires for the solenoid or does it share a ground? I don't know I'm just guessing but I suspect its normal off state should be low beam and the solenoid is powered for high beam. Now if it has no common ground, having the solenoid wires reversed would power the solenoid but NOT move the shudder. Reverse the sol wires.
Also, some have reported the shudder sticking so you might inspect the mechanics of it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I retrofit Morimoto projectors into cars, I've tested and messed with them plenty of times.

In order for the high beam to activate you have to apply 12V to EITHER of the 2 solenoid wires and ground the other one.

It does not matter which wire is + and which is -. They are non polar. It's just an electromagnetic coil.

The easiest way to wire the solenoid on a stock bike is to simply run both solenoids into the original high beam socket connector. 1 wire from each solenoid has to run into one side of the high beam connector and the other wire of each to the other side and it will work. The HID ballast should be getting their signal to turn on from the low beam connector.

If your bike was wired for dual low beams before the retrofit this might be your problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike was wired for dual low beams before the retrofit this might be your problem.

If you have properly switched low beams it would not create a problem. Incorrect wiring would most probably be the problem.

The solenoids should be getting signal from the high beam wire. The OEM color code for the high beam wire is black with a yellow tracer. The low beam signal that is not switched on the OEM faired version of the FZ6 is black with a green tracer. The wire from the Motogiro headlamp mod that is the switched low beam is the green wire. Neither the BD43 or Motogiro headlight mods would create a problem with any HID installation.

Please check your wiring instructions and wiring. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I retrofit Morimoto projectors into cars, I've tested and messed with them plenty of times.

In order for the high beam to activate you have to apply 12V to EITHER of the 2 solenoid wires and ground the other one.

It does not matter which wire is + and which is -. They are non polar. It's just an electromagnetic coil.

The easiest way to wire the solenoid on a stock bike is to simply run both solenoids into the original high beam socket connector. 1 wire from each solenoid has to run into one side of the high beam connector and the other wire of each to the other side and it will work. The HID ballast should be getting their signal to turn on from the low beam connector.

I was thinking the polarity should not matter but I've seen some solenoids drive the core opposite direction depending on polarity. From the interweb:
My projectors have 2 red wires, which one is the positive and which one is the ground?

It does not make a difference; the solenoid should work regardless of how you wire them. Most bi-xenon solenoids are not polarity sensitive, but if they are - the color code to their wiring should be easily verified. (red or yellow = positive, black or brown = ground, etc)

Anyway - OP says problem solved.... :thumbup: