Leo Vince exhaust question

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 with Leo Vince SBK evo II cans and lv decat pipe installed by previous owner. I have a stock catalytic converter pipe I would like to put back on (bought from a member of the forum) with all other parts of the lv system remaining in place. Would I be able to just weld a small eyelet/nut onto the bottom side of the cat oem cat pipe to accept the retention spring and use this instead of the decat pipe to make the bike quieter?

Here are some stolen pics of the 2 parts for comparison.

9enugu3y.jpg

betysyzy.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
If the stock pipe is the same diameter at that point i don't see why not!

Do you have the DB killers in or was it sold to you without them?
The Leo Vince with DB killers are a little bit louder than stock, but they are easy to live with IMO.

Maybe unplug the pipe going from the cans to the decat pipe and see if it fits on the cat pipe.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the baffles installed and still find it too loud. Having heard fz6's with stock exhaust on YouTube, I think it is much louder than stock with the decat pipe and the baffles in. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this our knew if the dimensions of the pipes would allow it.

I haven't tried to fit them together yet. I was concerned that I would make the spring retainer off and be unable to hook it back on if it was a no-go. Is it pretty easy to work with those things?

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the baffles installed and still find it too loud. Having heard fz6's with stock exhaust on YouTube, I think it is much louder than stock with the decat pipe and the baffles in. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this our knew if the dimensions of the pipes would allow it.

I haven't tried to fit them together yet. I was concerned that I would make the spring retainer off and be unable to hook it back on if it was a no-go. Is it pretty easy to work with those things?

They are really easy to install, the kit comes with a small hook that you use to pull the springs in place.

It is a cheap version of this, you could probably make one with some thick wire:

Bike It Exhaust Can T Handle Spring Hook Tool Garage/ Workshop Use | eBay

I cannot guarantee that you will be able to remove the center pipe without removing the cans though, during the install you first put the decat pipe, then the middle pipe, and then mount the cans to it, so you might have to do that in reverse.

Maybe measure the diameter of the pipes with a caliper first so you don't waist your time if they are not even close to matching!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Alas, I tried to throw the cat pipe on in place of the decat pipe and no joy. The lv Y pipe is flared out at the engine side to accept the slightly smaller decat pipe and is about 2mm wider diameter than the oem cat pipe. Since I have nothing to lose, I will try to modify the cat pipe to mate with the flared Y pipe. As of now, there is major leakage at the junction making a big noisy mess.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can widen the mouth of the oem cat pipe a few mm's? Or maybe a quick and dirty way to seal the leak in the interim?

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a good idea. They can probably easily widen the cat pipe for me. I guess I'll just reassemble it with the decat pipe and wait until I can get a muffler shop to take a look. Thanks for the help, I'll post back here I'd I follow through with the plan.

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
it wont fit mate i had this issue - you need the full leo vince exhaust system it doesnt fit on the stock cat pipe totally different diameters i'll link my thread(s) in a minute http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/49528-swap-leo-vince-cat-delete-pipe-2.html ------------- http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/48854-leo-vince-exhaust-04-06-07-10-help-2.html you could do the OPPOSITE of what i did and cut both the leo vince cat delete pipe and the stock pipe and weld in the cat part of the system to the leo vince part (with the hook on it) ,they are different diameters but it would still work ( the photo is an s1 leo vince modified using 50mm stainless tubing 1.5mm thick to fit an s2 using the bottom fitting from the stock cat pipe)

Last edited:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I remember your thread but forgot you were going to weld something up yourself. I ended up just going back to the full leo set-up for the time being