Laid it down softly, still embarrassing

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
The Air show was going on this weekend at the base and I volunteered to work it. So, I was on base trying to turn left. Keep in mind that we have a lot of civilians coming to the base for the first time that have no idea where they are going. So I have a car (facing me) in front of me turning right and another car thinking of going straight but at the same time hesitating, so I am stopped and get tired of waiting in the middle of the road. I did something that i never do, I stalled on an angle and the bike went down. I fought it all the way down so it just barely touched leaving a small scratch on the fairing and engine. My adrenaline must have been pumping because I was able to lift it right back up by the handle bars as soon as it touched. I was going to put the frame sliders on the night before but I got lazy!:spank:

There were a lot of people watching too. Lesson learned

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
It's ALWAYS embarrassing when you drop the bike :( and this probably won't be the last time you do. I hope this motivates you to get those frame sliders on now though!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Air show was going on this weekend at the base and I volunteered to work it. So, I was on base trying to turn left. Keep in mind that we have a lot of civilians coming to the base for the first time that have no idea where they are going. So I have a car (facing me) in front of me turning right and another car thinking of going straight but at the same time hesitating, so I am stopped and get tired of waiting in the middle of the road. I did something that i never do, I stalled on an angle and the bike went down. I fought it all the way down so it just barely touched leaving a small scratch on the fairing and engine. My adrenaline must have been pumping because I was able to lift it right back up by the handle bars as soon as it touched. I was going to put the frame sliders on the night before but I got lazy!:spank:

Well after lifting that thing back up like that, I aint messin with you!

Cliff

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I laid my bike down backing into the garage once. My foot slipped, and over it went, with me fighting it the whole way. The next day, I was pretty sore, and couldn't figure out why, until I remembered that I had been wrestling with a 400 lb bike the night before.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped mine a few weeks ago parking at work foot slipped and same as you fought it the whole way down. but I already had frame sliders so just laid it on the and picked it back up no damage done. Still I makes you feel like an idiot for a long time.

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
I laid my bike down backing into the garage once. My foot slipped, and over it went, with me fighting it the whole way. The next day, I was pretty sore, and couldn't figure out why, until I remembered that I had been wrestling with a 400 lb bike the night before.

Yeah, I didn't really even think about what I had done until later. I think I was so pissed when it happen that I just I kind of lifted it upright without putting much thought into it. If I would have thought, how am I going lift this 400lb bike by myself? then I don't think I could have done it that easily. I just wanted to escape the embarrassing moment.

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com

Same thing happened to me my friend, only no one was watching, but I learned my lesson and had the sliders installed yesterday, hope you´ve done the same! :thumbup:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My adrenaline must have been pumping because I was able to lift it right back up by the handle bars as soon as it touched.

just be happy you could lift it, had you grabbed it and yanked real hard and nothing happened, then it would have really been embarrassing :D
i have only stalled my bike about 4 times in the year and a half i have had it... 3 out of the 4 times were because i attempted to make a hard left from a stop, (gets me every time) and once was because after a few months of not riding, i forgot about that whole "clutch needs to be in when you shift into first" thing. which is funny because i have never done that on my manual car.

every time i feel like a nOOb though... especially the time i had my wife on the back, and went to make a hard left (u turn) around a median with 5 unknown busa's behind me.. i know they were laughin when that thing jolted on me.. even my wife gave me a hard time.

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the fall... at least you came to no harm and only very minor bike damage.

The bike only weighs 400lbs... most of us should be able to easily lift that with our legs.

lupusobus

Insanity is Sanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it amazing what you could do when the adrenaline is pumping.. I had a similar experience in my first month of riding. I stalled in making a right turn and the bike tip over on the right side. I was so embrassed and pissed, I just grabbed the handle bar and pushed the bike upright. I got back on and rode off. Mind you I'm a lightweight in my stature (130lbs) :D

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the fall... at least you came to no harm and only very minor bike damage.

The bike only weighs 400lbs... most of us should be able to easily lift that with our legs.

When I laid it down I didn't use the handlebars (since I had slid off the bike anyway). I just grabbed the side and squatted it up.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The base has cameras on every corner so you should be on YouTube any minute now. :p :justkidding: :D

P = (V x n^i x DI) / q, where:

P: Probability of dropping your bike
V: (1990 subtracted from the Year your bike was made)
n: number of people standing around
i: number of those people who are looking in your direction
DI: Visibility index, equal to the amount of sunlight divided by %age of tree limbs, other vehicles, etc blocking view of said drop.
q: number of times you've already dropped your bike.

:D

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Sucks to hear you dropped your bike. On my recent getoff, my adrenaline was pumping and I was able to lift the bike up using the handlebars, too. I'm only 170lbs and I had cracked the radius in my left arm from the fall, and I was still able to muscle it up. Took me two tries, though. As mentioned earlier, adrenaline is some weird stuff.

W

wrightme43

Whats the difference between a car and a bike?

Bikes fall down. No biggy man, it happens.

Then there is this.

There is just something wrong with a machine that will do 150mph then fall over if you stop and dont hold it up.

Mr ED

Reaction score
www.steveszone.co.uk
Chucked mine in a ditch after 1 week from new, (grabbed to much brake on a gravel bend).
No great damage due to the soft landing, embarrassing that four ladies had to get the bike off me though! So soft landings seem to be the way to go if you insist on throwing it off the road!