Kinda Funny Story

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a total newby when it comes to motorcycles. I took the MSF course, and and now a duly licensed motorcyclist. Not more than an hour ago, title to a 2005 silver FZ6 with 9400 miles on the clock was signed over to me by its previous owner. Hands were shaken, and it was time to ride away on my new
(to me) bike. I pushed the starter and it fired up normally. Being a total newby, I stalled the bike as I was preparing to ride out of the seller's driveway. Embarrassing to be sure, but, well, I'm a novice on a strange motorcycle. Anyway it's a simple push of the starter to get going again. Except that instead of the rumble of an idling engine, nothing but a clicking sound results. The battery was dead. The seller had the cycle in the shop for just this reason 1 month ago. A new battery was installed, and presumably they checked the charging circuits and alternator, as they reported it was a healthy motorcycle.

So now instead of being ridden to its new home, my FZ6 is still sitting in the seller's garage awaiting transport back to the shop for repair. The seller has agreed that it's on him to pay for whatever is needed, and hopefully for him the shop will stand behind their previously done work.

Too bad, as I would really like to be riding it right now.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, Welcome! :welcome:

Second, Congrats on the new bike! :thumbup:

Third, man that sux! New bike and you can't ride it yet! Be careful, stick around (this is a great forum), and hope your wait isn't too much longer!

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
Congrats on getting the license and doing it the right way!!!

As far as what happened, I'm glad whatever the problem was appeared today and not 3 days from now. But, man, would I be annoyed if it were me - already sitting on the bike!!!

Congrats, once again, and don't forget to post some pics. This is a great forum, and you'll find all the information you need here (I am new here myself - bought '04 in August and I am still amazed by this great community!)

Cheers!:Sport:

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
TC,

good question. It seems that this particular bike has had a history of this sort of thing:
the battery won't hold a charge, or is not being properly charged when the engine runs. The bike was serviced 1 month ago, and the battery was reportedly replaced. As much as I want to ride my new motorcycle, I can wait to make sure there is no mechanical or electrical issue that will come back to bite me. The purchase was for a bike in good repair, not one with gremlins.

Everybody,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of mods dies it have??? I had a similar problem and was getting way frustrated eventually I tore out the heated grips and dual headlight mod... When I just changed the grips saw that the wires under th grips were smashed... Could be...

Flydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of mods dies it have??? I had a similar problem and was getting way frustrated eventually I tore out the heated grips and dual headlight mod... When I just changed the grips saw that the wires under th grips were smashed... Could be...

no mods. It's a stock bike. But it's good thought. I'm just glad the problem showed up when it did so the seller took responsibility. He seems like a stand-up guy. He could have washed his hands of it, as he already had the cash.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and I hope after it's "fixed" you don't have anymore issues with this...since it's already been repaired once! :rolleyes:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for information or just hanging out.

I feel your pain about being a noob and stalling out. When I picked up my 06 FZ6 from the dealership I must have stalled it three or four times just trying to get out of the parking lot. :spank: It took me a bit to get used to the clutch control but once I got a feel for it I was doing much better.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the greatest forum in the world :thumbup:
Congrats on the new ride , when you get a chance to actually ride it im sure she'll deliver the time of your life :D