just had a small highside on the hwy

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
sooooo..... it was a perfectly nice sunny day out today in toronto. temp about 10 C. went riding with two buddies. i was in front we were going straight at about 100-120kph in the fast lane. this van 1 car ahead of me decided to turn into the express merge lane the LAST MINUTE. he couldn't make it and stopped 2 feet in front of the guardrail (those water barrels) on the shoulder. the car in front of me had to slam on the brakes. i was keeping about 2 sec distance in between. i went hard on the brakes but knew wasn't gonna stop in time. swerved in my own lane and slowed to about 20kph before my bike went sideways and threw me off (but finally stopped in time). with my sidi boots i still got a sore foot. without them probably a broken ankle for sure. and bruised right hip.

somehow the handlebar hit the gas tank and left a small dent. right side pod is smashed. right footpeg snapped off (riding home with one foot hanging in the air felt weird lol). my givi engine guard is slightly bent but saved the engine and frame from any damage.

ride safe guys :D

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Did anyone actually make contact?

I'm glad you're just a little bit sore from all of that.... I hope there were police reports filed? Make sure you visit a Dr. and have them sign off on you being okay. That may only be for peace of mind for the insurance companies, but it's a good thing to cross off the list.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, that sucks mate. Glad you came out of it with no major injuries, the bike can be fixed.

Another case of car drivers causing sh!t because they don't use their head.

Hope the ankle heals up quick and you can get back out there.

:rockon:

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Did anyone actually make contact?

I'm glad you're just a little bit sore from all of that.... I hope there were police reports filed? Make sure you visit a Dr. and have them sign off on you being okay. That may only be for peace of mind for the insurance companies, but it's a good thing to cross off the list.

no one contacted anyone. we just rode home after.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for telling us abou this.
When I did my riders licence down here in Oz they teach us about survival space. More than a 3 second gap between me and the car in front and moving away from cars by our side etc.
I practice it all the time.
Hope this helps others and glad you are safe.:thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Bummer on the lack of a report.... that would have been handy if you needed to make a claim on your insurance.

I guess I am surprised the fairing made it through that in one piece, if the pod got whacked.

You'll need to check the steering stops on the frame to make sure they are in one piece after that, as well.... either the bars bent enough to let them hit the tank, or the fork was allowed to rotate more than intended.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
driving in the GTA sucks man, riding is worse, every day something happened
that caused me grief, that was 20 years ago, I'm sure it's worse now...glad to
hear you're OK

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really happy to know it wasn't a lot more serious! Heal fast, fix the damage and ride safe!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH! Highsides are so damn scary! I'm glad your injuries were "only" bumps and bruises. Get well soon!

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you didnt get hit by the dumb-azz cager. That was probably pretty scary, hope you get fixed up quick! You and your bike, that is.:thumbup:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I always follow 2 seconds behind on the freeway. I've always thought that would be sufficient time to avoid if someone slammed on their brakes in front, but I've never had the opportunity to try it out. Maybe not. More than 2 seconds doesn't really seem viable. People will be riding up your rear, perceving that you are going too slow if you have a 3 sec gap.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear your ok!
2s gap is the stopping distance you'll need in non wet riding, however its 3s due to reaction times. I don't always stick with the 3s rule I admit but if I'm in heavy traffic and there is nowhere for me to go if something happens I definately try.
Also if your doing a few K's over the limit you won't get picked up by cops and most people won't overtake unless they are doing well over.