Is the FZ6 really that good ?

Obviously the OP has never been married, my wife has all these problems too. :thumbup:

Never thought of it that way, but it is so true.

You want to talk about buzzy engines. Go ride a GSXR, R6, Ninja, or CBR for a long ride. I owned a 2005 ZZR before my FZ and just commuting 35 minutes to work in the morning at cruising speeds hurt. The FZ6 is a dream ride compared to any of the super sports and you still have the power and agility they do for almost 3000.00 less. Bang for buck factor, you cant beat the FZ6.

It sounds to me like you've gone through all of the posts and found all of the problems from riders all over the world who have encountered these problems throughout the course of several years.

Have you ever read about the rear differential locking up at eighty miles an hour causing a head on crash with a lampost where the seatbelts were faulty and wouldn't disengage leaving an entire family inside of their smashed up car to burn to death?

Go look at Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler and see what kind of horrible horrible accidents have been the result of thier faulty manufacturing.

I know you are talking about bikes and not cars but you have to take into consideration that the problems that you have found are minimal, most people never even experience them. There is no way that out of millions of bikes produced there isn't going to be one or two that have some kind of small problem.

On the overall, the fz is a great bike. There are a thousand posts about how great this bike is for every one post about some small issue with it.

I'd give weight to the buzzy complaint. It's my biggest problem with the bike. It's not as bad now as at first, because of breaking the engine in and also getting used to it. As much as I like the bike, it doesn't "disappear" as much as my first bike, a Ninja 250. There is nothing like riding and having the bike go invisible, so that it feels like only you, flying in the wind like a little bird. Because of the vibration, I seldom feel that with the Fiz.

The mistake, IMO, was in putting a racing engine, even one detuned, into a bike that is supposed to be an all-rounder. I don't need to hit 14K rpms. I never have, doubt I ever will. I'd rather stay much lower.

As for the gearbox, I give it high marks. A bit clunky 1 to 2, and downshifting unless you're moving, but otherwise excellent.

All in all, a very good bike, esp considering the price, and the looks are also great. But it's not perfect.

The mistake, IMO, was in putting a racing engine, even one detuned, into a bike that is supposed to be an all-rounder. I don't need to hit 14K rpms. I never have, doubt I ever will. I'd rather stay much lower.
To me that is what makes it an all-rounder. The FZ is a Dr. Jeckle, Mr. Hyde. I can putt around town, or hit it hard on the track. If it was like an SV650, great bike mind you, that runs out of steam up high in the power band I wouldn't have been interested in it.

Everyone has different priorities. To me an "Swiss army knife" all-rounder would have more wattage for touring/Winter goodies. A lower seat would have been a plus, even for this 32" inseam. But above all I think the engine was a bad mismatch to the bike's stated purpose. It's possible I will get to the track someday, but not too likely. I'm glad it suits your purposes. I'm happy with it, but not without qualification.

I love the FZ, wife has got a GSR which at this time of year I have to take out if it hasn't been ridden for a couple of weeks. Today being one of those days.

The FZ is refined by comparison with the GSR, has better low down power, and to me does everything better. The GSR feels a little more flickable but then that does make it feel twitchier when the road surface isn't perfect.

The FZ is better than my Bandit that I used to love. About the only thing the GSR is better for is the lovely smooth gearbox, but I will gladly trade a clunkier gearbox for all the other benefits of the FZ. Did I say I love the FZ :)

Just chiming in, as most of the points have been well addressed. It's a mechanical device. It's got lots of little whirly bits doing their thing. It's going to make a little noise and vibrate a little. Meh. It's not perfect but it's really darn good.

Fuel leak or smell? Nope. But seriously, unlike a car where the fuel system is thoroughly sequestered under the bowels of the vehicle, we ride with the tank right between our legs. Um, seems like proximity might have something to do with this "issue."

Clunky gearbox? Yeah, a little when it was new. Broke the bike it, then switched to full synthetic oil and the gearbox is silky smooth. Maybe only the slightest hint of clunkage when at a standstill and the bike is cold.

As far as the vibration, I just short shift it while riding around town. I'm not lugging it mind you, just riding it below what I consider the first power band. I can quickly knock it down a gear or two if I need power. I knew going into the bike that since it was in in-line four it was going to have some buzz somewhere. But I'm really pleasantly surprised by its manners on the freeway. I ride it for about 100 miles each way on my commute and don't even notice vibration. To me, pretty remarkable.

Reminds me of a column by one of the Citybike writers. He was going on about how moto riders are so fussy, so demanding, so fickle. We're always wanting the manufacturers to build this or that bike -- and then we'll be happy. His point: the best bike you've ever ridden is probably the one you're riding right now.

Everyone has different priorities. To me an \\"Swiss army knife\\" all-rounder would have more wattage for touring/Winter goodies. A lower seat would have been a plus, even for this 32\\" inseam. But above all I think the engine was a bad mismatch to the bike's stated purpose. It's possible I will get to the track someday, but not too likely. I'm glad it suits your purposes. I'm happy with it, but not without qualification.

I don't think the buzz is bad at all. The inline 4 is pretty feels smooth to me, but I like revs. As for the seat height, I have a 32" inseam and can easily put both feet on the ground, what else would you want?

Back