Is it too early?

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey.

I am getting major cabin fever. The sun has been out in Vermont for a week now, we had two days of rain, the roads look pretty clean.

It is going to be around 50 degrees for the next week at least.

Is it stupid for me to go out? It is only March after all! :confused::confused::confused:

I am torn!

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
In the end, it's all up to you. But, if it were me and 50 outside.....I would go!

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey.

I am getting major cabin fever. The sun has been out in Vermont for a week now, we had two days of rain, the roads look pretty clean.

It is going to be around 50 degrees for the next week at least.

Is it stupid for me to go out? It is only March after all! :confused::confused::confused:

I am torn!

Go for it man! I live in wisconsin and i just brought my bike out today. Just take it easy on turns and you'll be fine.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hello neighbor, over in NH i have been the only bike on the roads for the past 2 days. go for it but be careful and watch out for melting water that can re-freeze on the road and also obviously debris. But you should be fine as long as you take it easy and don;t push it. The tires won't heat up either so no hard leaning :thumbup:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I started last week. Had to take a few days off when there were high winds and rain followed by temps in the teens, but the season has started. I say, as long as there is no ice on the road, then you're good to go. What out for pot holes. They are everywhere in the Chicagoland area

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
saw 3 guys on bikes yesterday. and there is still a crapload of slush out there on the roads as well as snow not to mentoin tons of gravel. brave bunch those guys were.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the roads aren't snowy/icy it's time!!

I've been out for a few weeks now and other than taking it slow with the crap roads around here, it's worth it!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I just went throught the same thing. But as long as it's warm enough so that there's no ice, it should be ok. Just look out for sand, run off, etc. Also keep in mind that your tires will not be nearly as grippy on the cold road. Take her out, take it easy, and see how you feel.
Go for it!! :thumbup:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
shoot, we had a portland to coast run with 20 or so bikes driving on ice through the mountains 4 weeks ago :)

If it looks like ice put your feet on the ground, if they slide real easy keep them there!

I admit to some fear factor shrinkage, but it was definitely worth the trip.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode about 160 miles yesterday and the temp was a high of 49 degrees. I say if it's dry and above 40, go for it!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's not too early. I went riding here last weekend in the high 40's and was comfortable, would have gone riding today (low 50's) but was busy with other stuff, saw a couple bikes on the road though.

As others have noted, there will be sand etc in the roads, and the road itself will be very cold. Also, keep in mind that there will be potholes along your favorite routes that weren't there last fall.

Also remember that as rusty as you may have gotten, cagers haven't seen bikes for months either, and will be exceptionally oblivious: I had one last weekend pull up on my right at a stoplight and share my lane (erm...huh?). I assumed he was turning right. He apparently thought I was turning left. When the light turned green, we found ourselves negotiating for the same lane going forward. :rolleyes:

Take it easy and stay sharp, but get out there! :thumbup:

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The roads are in pretty good shape in central MA, southern VT and NH. Put a few hundred miles on this weekend, no problems. Ez does in in the shady spots, sand & watch for the damn frost heaves, they can pitch you real good.

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I started last week. Had to take a few days off when there were high winds and rain followed by temps in the teens, but the season has started. I say, as long as there is no ice on the road, then you're good to go. What out for pot holes. They are everywhere in the Chicagoland area

At my stupid age (old) I just didn't realised, a lot of you can't ride all the year round because of the weather. :jawdrop:

In most of Oz we might get wet and the temp might drop to 10 degrees (that's C), but this stuff called "snow" and "ice" is not really seen. As a biker I can pick my days. Sorry this is in no way meant to be a "so there...... sought of post", but I just didn't realise how lucky we are.
Keep warm and more importantly keep safe. :thumbup: