Insurance covering modded exhaust?

cowboys647

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, so today I was in stop and go traffic on the highway and the girl behind me fell asleep at the wheel and hit me from behind. My two brothers exhaust is all beaten up now and I'm curious if her insurance will cover the exhaust? I never claimed the exhaust to my insurance so is there any problems with that? Oh and I'm ok btw. Helmet plus padded kevlar jackets are a godsend.

Holy cow, hope you are okay!

I would absolutely ask for her insurance company to coverall parts and labor to restore your bike to the way it was before the accident! That includes any gear that was damaged as well.

If they do not, you can sue her and her insurance company for negligence, personal injury, loss time from work, etc. You might even make some $$.

Good luck!

Yes they will. I got into an accident last year and they covered all of my accessorys even my jacket.

Looks like your left mirror got broken, too. Glad you were not injured.

Since she's at fault, her insurance is responsible for returning your bike to pre-wreck condition. Don't let them tell you otherwise, which they might try to do. I got rear-ended last year, and the other driver's insurance tried telling me they weren't going to pay for my aftermarket add-on windshield (it was an old naked XJ) because "motorcycles come with windshields, so that's included in the price". Nope, sorry. :rolleyes:

Now, if you were at fault, it'd depend on your coverage... whether you'd bought aftermarket parts coverage and/or your insurance included it or not.

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm pretty good although my back is a little sore (back surgery a month ago and prolly shouldn't even have been riding. It was definitely her fault. Should I ask the insurance to replace the helmet because I've heard that they are only good for one fall? Plus the helmet helped break the fall. So far with the exhaust, rear wheel being bent, all the plastics, and the mirror I'm thinking its going to be a pretty big bill. What do insurance companies compensate for labor?

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm pretty good although my back is a little sore (back surgery a month ago and prolly shouldn't even have been riding. It was definitely her fault. Should I ask the insurance to replace the helmet because I've heard that they are only good for one fall? Plus the helmet helped break the fall. So far with the exhaust, rear wheel being bent, all the plastics, and the mirror I'm thinking its going to be a pretty big bill. What do insurance companies compensate for labor?

Definitely replace your helmet, especially if you used it. I got paid for my jacket too, since I went down hard on my shoulder. Glad I had the padding there, though I still had a nasty joint separation.

Usually they'll use a local shop to figure up the repair bill. With as much damage as it sounds like it has, don't be surprised if they total it out ($100+ an hour shop labor adds up FAST). If they do, they owe you a check for fair replacement value of your bike. That's where the mods can cause a grey area: are you going to get replacement value of your bike with the mods on it (IE pennies on the dollar for your mods, because that's what they add to resale value) or replacement cost of the bike, plus the replacement cost of the mods? I'd push for the 2nd, unless you want to wait around to find a bike with a 2Bros on it, or lose hundreds buying a stock bike and repurchasing parts.

On the bright side, if they total it and you can do the work yourself, you can buy it back cheap and fix it yourself. Go naked, buy used plastics or cheaper ones from Bikebandit, etc. and you can make out pretty well. Just make sure you've found ALL the damage before deciding to go that route, don't want to get halfway in and find out something hidden is FUBAR and now you're gonna have more into it than it's worth. And don't forget it'll have a salvage/recon title, meaning resale value just went through the floor.

PS: Can I buy your speedo and surrounding plastics if it goes to scrap?

Oh ok I see. I can't see them totaling it out but then again who knows with these insurance companies.
Edit: If they total it I'm def gonna rebuild it so no Speedo :)

Last edited:
+1 on replacing your helmet. I just switched insurance companies and the had me list all my mods and approximate values of them. Her insurance company WILL give you some song and dance about what they will and won't cover. Don't buy it! You have all the rights in this situation and don't let them tell you otherwise! Glad your OK! That's crazy how her car went over the tire and under the exhaust!

Oh ok I see. I can't see them totaling it out but then again who knows with these insurance companies.
Edit: If they total it I'm def gonna rebuild it so no Speedo :)

If they do it the same as cars, they'll owe the shop for teardown, and they'll estimate shop labor to R&R everything that needs replacing. Like I said, it adds up quick, especially considering typical labor rates. My car got totaled out this winter, and the body shop labor rate was only $40/hour, even then labor was a significant chunk of change. AFAIK the breaking point is usually 75% of their calculated value to total it, so probably $4k-ish for your bike.

BTW, what insurance company does she have? I've had absolute nightmares with State Farm and Farmers, even though both were rear-end collisions. I'm not one to get a lawyer involved, but both of those made me wish I'd listened and just gotten a lawyer from the start. Farmers initially (by initially I mean 3 weeks after, when they finally made an offer) thought I'd accept ~$800 + actual medical bills for my bike, accessories, helmet and jacket. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry been out of town for the last week. I'm taking the bike in to get an estimate at a Yamaha dealer tomorrow morning. If it does get totalled, anyone interested in buying a two brothers exhaust slightly dinged on the bottom? Just seeing if I could make a few bucks back...

I'll take first dibs with interest on the two brothers. However, if it's totalled, doesn't the insurance co take possession of everything?

Crazy way she pulled into you too - were you still rolling when she tapped you? Literally drove right into your hindquarters...

Sorry been out of town for the last week. I'm taking the bike in to get an estimate at a Yamaha dealer tomorrow morning. If it does get totalled, anyone interested in buying a two brothers exhaust slightly dinged on the bottom? Just seeing if I could make a few bucks back...

Well I'm getting an estimate myself and then faxing the estimate to the insurance company so if they say its totalled then I'm gonna take off my exhaust and put the stock one back on etc.. Yea I was going about 15 when she hit me.. And gotcha on the dibs

i'd be surprised if the shock wasn't f*cked, and the frame slightly bent

since it's her fault then you can expect the bike to be replaced to the pre-crash condition, make sure you keep track of all your expenses (such as getting a taxi since you are bikeless too)

Back