busted my FZ6 up

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site
As others have noted, thank you for your service...

As for the wreck, they happen. As a retired PO from SW Florida for 25 years, from what you state and that she was charged in the crash, your good to go (so to speak). Could you have handled the bike differently in an emergency situation, perhaps.. Are you required to drive defensivly, no, but it helps to anticipate that left hand turn in front of you...Experiance helps but that takes time and practice. Ride like your invisable.. She clearly violated your (and your buddies) right of way..

BTW, I had a similar wreck when I was 19, an old man pulled a left in front of me in 1977, totaled my 1975 RD 350, put me in the hospital for a month and numerous surgeries as well.

You need to see a lawyer (IMHO, you have very solid case) and as noted prevously, watch you put out in public..

Good luck...

I'll be talking to legal on Monday for action that I need to take, armed with police report and images.

As for your wreck, month in the hospital and multiple surgeries, you're scaring me a bit. :( Glad to hear that there's more people that people imagine that are able to "walk away" from these types of incidents.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be talking to legal on Monday for action that I need to take, armed with police report and images.

As for your wreck, month in the hospital and multiple surgeries, you're scaring me a bit. :( Glad to hear that there's more people that people imagine that are able to "walk away" from these types of incidents.

Well, I didn't walk away and still have scars to prove it. Broken right femur in two places, broken jaw, 4 places(3/4) helmet, dislocated shoulder, numerous busted teeth(steel plate with screws in the jaw). My right leg is about an inch shorter than the other but I've learned to live with it :)...

The wreck happened on a Friday, about noon, coming home from college, an old man made a left turn in front of me, I apparently hit the rear, right door of his ford SW (this is 9-30-1977). I think, my jaw, caught the drip edge of the SW and busted it back and locked it open. (If i had a full helmet, I may have just broke my neck) I say that as I lost memory from about a block from the crash (a Friday) and remember, to this date, the following Wednesday waking up in a hospital..

Whats really messed up, the car behind him, saw me coming (with my headlight on-mandatory in NY in 1977) looking thru his vehicle!!

The speed limit was 30MPH. I don't remember the crash at all, but looking at the bike, (now with my PO experiance and working various wrecks of all types in 25 years), I was likely doing 30-40 MPH but stopped immediatly upon impact (not good). The forks were bent back, the front spoke wheel destroyed, front tire pushed back far enough to dent one of the two muffler header pipes, bent handle bars, etc.

I was 19 at the time, IMHO, my youth was the only reason I survived...

Looking back now, and how I rode, I should have expected him to turn and been prepared (slow down, cover brakes, look for an escape route if needed, etc). Back then as a new STREET rider (I did have 4 years of dirt bike riding/sanctioned MX racing under my belt), I didn't practice good defensive street driving/riding.

I do now, with time and miles under my belt...

Sorry to ramble but it'll take some time to recover and you will get there... BTW, my parents/I did seek a lawyer and were successful..

Scott

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes can be replaced, people can't. Glad you're okay now. Heal up and if you want to ride again, consider yourself lucky that you can. :)

Oh, and time to get some riding pants! :p

(We can all see that jeans clearly don't cut it now so it's a good lesson to others!)

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is making me think more about protection for my lower body.

When I ride to work, I always wear jeans under a pair of Nomex fire-retardant coveralls, which are required at the plant where I work.

When I take the car to work, I usually wear gym shorts under my Nomex.

Does anyone have experience with riding pants that would go over the coveralls in place of the jeans underneath?

For me, that might be a better option than wearing Kevlar jeans under my Nomex.

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I didn't walk away and still have scars to prove it. Broken right femur in two places, broken jaw, 4 places(3/4) helmet, dislocated shoulder, numerous busted teeth(steel plate with screws in the jaw). My right leg is about an inch shorter than the other but I've learned to live with it :)...

The wreck happened on a Friday, about noon, coming home from college, an old man made a left turn in front of me, I apparently hit the rear, right door of his ford SW (this is 9-30-1977). I think, my jaw, caught the drip edge of the SW and busted it back and locked it open. (If i had a full helmet, I may have just broke my neck) I say that as I lost memory from about a block from the crash (a Friday) and remember, to this date, the following Wednesday waking up in a hospital..

Whats really messed up, the car behind him, saw me coming (with my headlight on-mandatory in NY in 1977) looking thru his vehicle!!

The speed limit was 30MPH. I don't remember the crash at all, but looking at the bike, (now with my PO experiance and working various wrecks of all types in 25 years), I was likely doing 30-40 MPH but stopped immediatly upon impact (not good). The forks were bent back, the front spoke wheel destroyed, front tire pushed back far enough to dent one of the two muffler header pipes, bent handle bars, etc.

I was 19 at the time, IMHO, my youth was the only reason I survived...

Looking back now, and how I rode, I should have expected him to turn and been prepared (slow down, cover brakes, look for an escape route if needed, etc). Back then as a new STREET rider (I did have 4 years of dirt bike riding/sanctioned MX racing under my belt), I didn't practice good defensive street driving/riding.

I do now, with time and miles under my belt...

Sorry to ramble but it'll take some time to recover and you will get there... BTW, my parents/I did seek a lawyer and were successful..

Scott

Whew, that is a hell of a wreck man! It sounds like a worse case scenario, and unfortunately it's what we all should be prepared for. A lot of people avoid motorcycles for this very reason, but I've also seen the same cagers driving without seat-belts, cutting off, tailgating, driving without blinkers, excessive speed, and etc...

It biffs me a bit when I have to get into the hazards of motorcycle riding conversation with the same who drive their cars without a care in the world.

Thankfully you were wearing some sort of helmet, flip flops and wife beater ATGATT just makes me want to throw a stick between the spokes of these fools. Even a half shell is better than nothing, and shows you care about yourself enough for protection. Seeing the marring on my helmet, I will always wear a full-face.

Although you're through you accident, I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I've noticed that riders are a little more resilient than most people.

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site

When I ride to work, I always wear jeans under a pair of Nomex fire-retardant coveralls, which are required at the plant where I work.

Does anyone have experience with riding pants that would go over the coveralls in place of the jeans underneath?

Yeah, it took a wreck to make me realize it. There are all types of "cover" all style pants that have pads and kevlar you can wear over anything. I'm going to go this route since, I have a uniform and it will be more convenient, not to mention that it's more than just 1 layer if I'm wearing pants under them. Coupe hundred for pants, it better than the pain and medical bills you will have to go through.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hitting the front brakes, and applied a bit to much pressure and locked the wheel up, whick bucked the back of the bike up a bit and dropped all my control. I was able to release the front brake and return the back end, but my fork turned from the torque of the initial release whiched caused my balance to break. The FZ fell on the right side and slid about 50ft to a stop. So, I prevented a high side, but still dropped the bike...hard.

People, practice your quick stops. Start slowly, and do the same as the MSF. steadily increase your speed ina controlled environmeny and get comfortable with your balance and locking up your tires. You think your a great rider untill somethign like this happens.

Exactly! You think if you practiced your quick stops to a point where you were spot on, you think you would have had a different outcome? Or knowing in the back of your mind that the greatest area for conflict for a motorcyclist will be at intersections so maybe you or your friend would have had the horn covered or slow down or even adjusted position?

There is a reason why those Fire Engines blast their air horns when they are running code when they approach an intersection.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whew, that is a hell of a wreck man! It sounds like a worse case scenario, and unfortunately it's what we all should be prepared for. A lot of people avoid motorcycles for this very reason, but I've also seen the same cagers driving without seat-belts, cutting off, tailgating, driving without blinkers, excessive speed, and etc...

It biffs me a bit when I have to get into the hazards of motorcycle riding conversation with the same who drive their cars without a care in the world.

Thankfully you were wearing some sort of helmet, flip flops and wife beater ATGATT just makes me want to throw a stick between the spokes of these fools. Even a half shell is better than nothing, and shows you care about yourself enough for protection. Seeing the marring on my helmet, I will always wear a full-face.

Although you're through you accident, I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I've noticed that riders are a little more resilient than most people.

It was law to wear a helmet and I would have anyway...

I don't think I had anything else on (no shorts, jeans, I don't think any gloves, been 35 years). Never got road rash, just broke bones.

Now, in Florida, there's no helmet law, however I still wear my top of the line 3/4, leather/gel gloves, jeans, and either a textile or full leather jacket depending on the weather...

As noted, bikes can be replaced, your health cannot...

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah geez now I'm gonna have to sit through ANOTHER Air Force Motorcycle Training Video!!!

Just kidding, glad you're alright. Bikes are cheap, ATGATT indeed.

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly! You think if you practiced your quick stops to a point where you were spot on, you think you would have had a different outcome? Or knowing in the back of your mind that the greatest area for conflict for a motorcyclist will be at intersections so maybe you or your friend would have had the horn covered or slow down or even adjusted position?

There is a reason why those Fire Engines blast their air horns when they are running code when they approach an intersection.

Well, if I had controlled my slide perfectly and skidded straight to a stop in a perfect world, then perhaps some of this could have been avoided. If I had fancy ABS then all of this could have been avoided IMHO, :D. But the reaction time was two swift for an average rider, there's no idea what I could have hit in a skid, and there was still the concern for my downed friend which messed up my judgement.

For an intersection, the best advice I can give, if stay out of the left lane (if possible) Slow to a controllable brake speed, and avoid blind areas where cagers can sneak their front ends out. Not every situation is avoidable, but being hyper aware to the upcoming danger might save you from major injury in an event like this.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your service! Hope you heal quick. Locked up the front wheel on my Ninja 250 once and came close to going down but let off quick and recovered. New rider at the time, got my attention.

Don't remember where I saw it but most motorcycle fatalities are cause by vehicles turning to their left in front of the bikes. When riding on secondary roads am always nervous about people turning and pulling out in front of my. I will weave to get their attention - did it to a police car one time. When a car is in front I will tend to ride closer so there is not a gap for someone to turn thru.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site

In addition to the Kevlar Jeans maybe you should look into some knee shin guards.

I wear Kevlar jeans with some Icon knee-shin guards. The guards go under my jeans, most people can't even tell I am wearing them. As long as you wear 3/4 or tall boots they will stay up. An extra plus is that it stops the wind from hitting your lower legs for those colder rides and they're vented enough to keep you from sweating into you socks.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
No, ignorantly I figured jeans were enough because everyone else I see wears them. The held up decently, but the initial impact is what tore them appart and exposed the skin. I will be getting some REAL riding pants this next time arround.

sorry to hear of your accident! you were very lucky to have received relatively minor injuries when considering you were wearing jeans! it could have been much worse for you.

I was in an accident before an elderly man, biggest hazards on the road :(
you cant be careful enough!
even south park have a piss take of elderly drivers! enjoy :Flash:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMPzRXYexLI]Southpark- elderly drivers clip - YouTube[/ame]

hope you recover soon!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted in several above posts, I've learned to move about in the lane depending on traffic conditions...

If there's someone to the right on a side street, I move over to that way so they hopefully see me better but still leave an out /prepare to stop, etc.

If in the right lane on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction), get in the furthest most left part of the left lane (HB on) so your not in a blind spot in the right lane (happened last week to me last week, a car started to pull in front of me).

And DEFINITLY, DO NOT RIDE in the CENTER of the roadway, there's car grease/drippins, nails, and all kinds of crap there.

I prefer to ride, just to the edge, out of the "bumpy car tire" area, and still staying out of the grease.. Most nails/screws in the rear tire are kicked up from the front tire.

And obviously get out of the blind spot of a cage by either getting ahead or slowing down a bit and give them room should they change lanes...

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site
As noted in several above posts, I've learned to move about in the lane depending on traffic conditions...

If there's someone to the right on a side street, I move over to that way so they hopefully see me better but still leave an out /prepare to stop, etc.

If in the right lane on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction), get in the furthest most left part of the left lane (HB on) so your not in a blind spot in the right lane (happened last week to me last week, a car started to pull in front of me).

And DEFINITLY, DO NOT RIDE in the CENTER of the roadway, there's car grease/drippins, nails, and all kinds of crap there.

I prefer to ride, just to the edge, out of the "bumpy car tire" area, and still staying out of the grease.. Most nails/screws in the rear tire are kicked up from the front tire.

And obviously get out of the blind spot of a cage by either getting ahead or slowing down a bit and give them room should they change lanes...

Thanks for all the advice in this thread! It's sharing experience like this, that's helps keep experience and raise awareness.

Go to a ricer forum and look at how aggressive they talk to each other. Thanks for being a good person!

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice in this thread! It's sharing experience like this, that's helps keep experience and raise awareness.

Go to a ricer forum and look at how aggressive they talk to each other. Thanks for being a good person!

So true. I'm glad I found a mature community. It helps keep me safe and provides tons of great advice.

Ashc

Reaction score
Visit site
Crap guys, I need some HELP!!!

Alright, MY insurance company just go through rummaging over the bike and are going to total the FZ out. I'm supposed to meet the adjuster tomorrow with the title to move the process along. However I was reading I should have filed with her insurance, but I'm clearly not at fault and probably have a case. Will accepting a pay out from MY insurance company mess up my legal opportunities? Should I tell them to wait till I see an attorney?

As far as I know their insurance is still claiming no fault. I'm afraid if i take this pay-out then i will be kicking myself in the teeth.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I always thought your ins company paid out first when there's a dispute so you can get moving again. Then once they figure everything out, the ins companies settle up on the back end, assign blame, adjust rates, etc.

This happened when my truck was hit while parked and the guy claimed fault but he failed to make good on his promise to settle up in cash. I reported, my ins paid me and they went after him/his ins.

This is different so I'll defer to people with more experience.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Dude, i dropped my old man's cb750 exactly the same way once.

If i was better trained, i would have saved it, but the panic brake grab is a killer.

Thanks for sharing, and i hope you get going soon. Why do you think frame damage? If the bike slid, frame SHOULD still be ok ... ?