Back from Triumph demo ("review" and pics)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got to ride Speed Triple. Demo ride was a bit short of 30 minutes. Total of 14 miles. Few curves and a bit of highway riding.

The good:

Torque!!!: Holy cow does this thing pull!!! Rolling on from 3k rpm feels about the same as rolling on from 8k rpm on FZ6.. perhaps even a bit stronger!

Air flow: Even though my screen is now very good on FZ6 (chopped and slotted), there was even less noise on this bike. Zero buffeting. I am now convinced that faired

Brakes: Very strong front brake. Minimal effort to slow the bike down and modulation is very good.

Peg vibration: Pretty much none.

The bad:

Lever feel: I'm spoiled by aftermarket levers (shorty Pazza knock-offs). The ones on Triumph felt cheap and flimsy. Reach was adjustable on both, so at least there was that.

Transmission: Once started and shifted into first, the bike would not shift back to N. I asked the guy if it was normal for these bikes to act like this and he said he'd been having problems with that specific one.. don't know how honest he was being.
In general, shifting was OK.. throws seem a bit longer than on FZ6. All in all smooth, but not the smoothest.

Exhaust: OK.. not really the exhaust, but when engine-braking, the thing would pop like crazy. I'm hoping it's because the specific bike I rode has been abused and they're not all like that.

Handlebar vibration: I was sure it would be way better than my FZ6, but it wasn't at all. Once again, I don't have a stock setup (I've got aftermarket bar, heavy bar ends and fat soft grips), but stock Speed Triple actually had a bit more bar vibration.

-----------------------------------

Overall, I really enjoyed riding it, but if the transmission and exhaust issues are *normal*, I don't think I'd consider buying one. This is just my opinion.. no offense to anyone who owns one :)

The douche factor: As I'm getting ready to leave, 2 cruisers ride in. 1st one has a guy and girl on it.. both wearing tank tops, shorts and flip flops. 2nd guy is alone, but is dressed in the same super protective Corona top as the first one. 1st guy pulls in 2 spots away from me. His lady gets off and he proceeds to get off and drops the bike on its side (oops.. someone forgot to put the side-stand down). They pull the bike up and then his buddy pulls in behind him and proceeds to scratch his front fender and his friend's rear fender by pulling in way too close.
Funny and sad at the same time.. oh well.

As far as the promised food and drinks @ xtreme machines (Millstone NJ) there was NOTHING at all at first. I got there at 9 and the store didn't even open till 10, even though Triumph crew was setup before 9. When I came back from demo ride at about 11, they had few sad looking hot dogs and some warm water bottles. That was it. I know they don't owe me anything, but I think it would've been better if they didn't promise "free food and drinks" on their site to begin with.

And now for some pictures:

classic.jpg

daytona.jpg

fz6.jpg

rocket.jpg

street.jpg

truck.jpg

tston.jpg

ural.jpg

Last edited:

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
cool! How come you didn't ride any others? I got there late and only had time for 2 rides. Did the Speed 3 and a Bonny for kicks. I've ridden it before but was killin time as a friend was trying out the S3. We mainly went so he could test a Tiger.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cool! How come you didn't ride any others?

I would absolutely have ridden others, BUT.. the guy wouldn't let me schedule demos back to back. Meaning I'd have to wait at least 30 minutes in between rides.
Had to get back home cause my in-laws are coming over and the demo is over an hour away from my house. Really though, I rode the one bike I was really interested in... I'm happy :D

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I yearn for a Tiger and have test ridden it before. The triple was high on my list. I wanted to get on the Street 3 too but it was fixing to storm.

How's you like the throttle? When I was gearing up one of the Triumph guys asked if I had ridden one before and I said no. He then said "careful with the throttle, it's probably a bit touchy compared to what your used to". Good thing he did, or I might have lost my passenger!

I was highly impressed with the Speed Triple!

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm headed to a Triumph demo tomorrow AM. My main pick to test is the Street Triple R. If time allows I'll put my rear on a Tiger and Daytona 675, the latter just for giggles. I'm sure the race position is going to be uncomfortable. I'm really interested in Triumph's upcoming 675-800cc range Tiger "cub?" which is due next year. That may be the best bet but, for now, I hope my FZ6 does not pale in comparison.

Triumph Come Home

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm headed to a Triumph demo tomorrow AM. My main pick to test is the Street Triple R. If time allows I'll put my rear on a Tiger and Daytona 675, the latter just for giggles. I'm sure the race position is going to be uncomfortable. I'm really interested in Triumph's upcoming 675-800cc range Tiger "cub?" which is due next year. That may be the best bet but, for now, I hope my FZ6 does not pale in comparison.

Triumph Come Home

Tim

I sat on Daytona for about 30 seconds.. that's about all my body could handle. No idea how people ride on the street in that position.
I won't lie to you.. FZ6 felt "unfast" after Speed Triple, but honestly I'd rather have my FZ6 :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review Erci.

I can't judge - I am yet to ride Mikes 09 Speed 3.

He loves it. Fun factor bike. There are items he doesn't like about it - few transmission probs - 4/5 and 5/6 - can hit neutral - have to be positive in gear changes, but he still loves her. There's nothing stock on her now. Put SC Project GP line pipes on her and lots of carbon fiber. But yes, the exhaust popping is normal..... There are transmission issues, but not the one you reported. Each bike has their own quirks. I suppose this one makes up for it through the twisties :D

He used to have a Daytona 675 and loved it, but it was a fun bike - definitely not a commuter. Not comfortable for long rides.

Last edited:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 felt "unfast" after Speed Triple, but honestly I'd rather have my FZ6 :D

I just got rid of a Triumph Thunderbird, great looking machine but it tended to be problematic reliability wise. In my experience you cannot beat a Japanese bike for overall reliability. When you are out on the road that is important to me. I toyed with the idea of getting a Street Triple R, but looking at the cost and relibility I went with the FZ6. A bit less performance perhaps, but a lot cheaper and a lot more reliable.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got to ride Speed Triple. Demo ride was a bit short of 30 minutes. Total of 14 miles. Few curves and a bit of highway riding.

The good:

Torque!!!: Holy cow does this thing pull!!! Rolling on from 3k rpm feels about the same as rolling on from 8k rpm on FZ6.. perhaps even a bit stronger!

Air flow: Even though my screen is now very good on FZ6 (chopped and slotted), there was even less noise on this bike. Zero buffeting. I am now convinced that faired

Brakes: Very strong front brake. Minimal effort to slow the bike down and modulation is very good.

Peg vibration: Pretty much none.

The bad:

NOT CURRENTLY OWNING ONE!

There ya go, ive fixed your post :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got rid of a Triumph Thunderbird, great looking machine but it tended to be problematic reliability wise. In my experience you cannot beat a Japanese bike for overall reliability. When you are out on the road that is important to me. I toyed with the idea of getting a Street Triple R, but looking at the cost and relibility I went with the FZ6. A bit less performance perhaps, but a lot cheaper and a lot more reliable.
You must be unlucky. I know from about 2006 Triumph have vastly improved their reliability problems. 06 Daytona 675 - never had a problem. 09 Speed Triple - so far so good :thumbup: