Information needed: Gear changes problem

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

So today i scared the **** out of myself and can't stop digging about it in the net and cannot find squat. The problem is this:

As I was climbing onto the bike I bumbed the ****ed and it went into a gear from neutral without clutch, I was like "what the ****" so I bumped it up and down and the gears switched easily no force needed without the clutch. Is this supposed to happen. The bike was NOT running! So I started it and completed my journey hom using the clutch like I normally do, when I arrived I shut off the bike in second and tried ****ing into neutral without the clutch and it worked ?!?!!?!?!? and hten into first worked too, after that I switched to neutral but it wouldn't switch into second, so I think something might be wrong.

Any input would be appreciated.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ridden my bike in months, so I can't remember if this is normal.

I really just wanted to comment on how funny I think it is that our filter is blocking shifting

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
not a mechanic here but been around cars more than bikes, its normal, if it didnt want to go in gear 2nd time than you should of rolled the bike and inch or so and it would of popped in.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
But without the clutch ?!?!? i mean it doesn't require effert even and I defo remember not being able to **** without a clutch on a stationary, bike that's not on even :confused:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When the engine is running the clutch unloads the strain on the gears. Depending on how and where the bike is resting (when off) it may or may not be c0cked in and out of gear based upon the load from the drive chain holding the bike in place. Yes i had use that word!
However, even when there is no load or strain imposed by the rear (bike not on flat ground), the gear box **may not** easily shift until the rear tire moves due to the actual gears needing to align.

Internal to the transmission are essentially round pegs that must fit into holes (called clutch dogs). When the engine is running and your moving this happens without much effort. When parked, its left to chance and may not go into gear until the tire is moved.

In short; its all 100% Normal! Ride and enjoy!

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
When the engine is running the clutch unloads the strain on the gears. Depending on how and where the bike is resting (when off) it may or may not be c0cked in and out of gear based upon the load from the drive chain holding the bike in place. Yes i had use that word!
However, even when there is no load or strain imposed by the rear (bike not on flat ground), the gear box **may not** easily shift until the rear tire moves due to the actual gears needing to align.

Internal to the transmission are essentially round pegs that must fit into holes (called clutch dogs). When the engine is running and your moving this happens without much effort. When parked, its left to chance and may not go into gear until the tire is moved.

In short; its all 100% Normal! Ride and enjoy!

Good man, big load off my mind then :p I switched to Repsol full synthetic oil for 4t racing bikes and was a bit scared it had to do something with the issue :p

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

So today i scared the **** out of myself and can't stop digging about it in the net and cannot find squat. The problem is this:

As I was climbing onto the bike I bumbed the ****ed and it went into a gear from neutral without clutch, I was like "what the ****" so I bumped it up and down and the gears switched easily no force needed without the clutch. Is this supposed to happen. The bike was NOT running! So I started it and completed my journey hom using the clutch like I normally do, when I arrived I shut off the bike in second and tried ****ing into neutral without the clutch and it worked ?!?!!?!?!? and hten into first worked too, after that I switched to neutral but it wouldn't switch into second, so I think something might be wrong.

Any input would be appreciated.

FinalImpact did a super job of explaining! Take a look at this video and you will see the transmission being shifted. Not sure of your overall level of mechanical knowledge, but if you watch this and look at the tranny parts breakdown in the service manual, you should be able to advance your understanding of what's happening inside.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mame4V9tQAc]2005 Yamaha FZ6-S Transmission Exposed - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We did this a while ago....
More pictures as if the Video didn't do enough!

This is normal and here is the technical WHY explanation. In short the gears don't go in at a stop as they physically can't fit the peg in the hole until the gears rotate a small amount.

I'm stealing a picture here; but see the gears here (bottom of pic, last two gears); the clutch dogs must fit into the recess in the opposing gear to lock it in. When you're stopped and the clutch is disengaged, sometimes the cogs rest right on the ridge separating the recess thus it will not drop into gear until you A) roll the bike moving the output shaft, B) release the clutch moving the input shaft.

Make sense?
IMG_0935_zpseb641be8.jpg

Thanks Adam!

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, I get so hooked on technical stuff like that, you made me want to disassemble my bike just to see the gearbox in action.