I went down, but I'm back!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. you're very lucky to be alive and to *walk* away without breaking any bones is a miracle really. Glad you're mostly OK. Looking forward to seeing what your next bike choice will be.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are ok - that's the most important part, and sorry about the bike. Welcome back!

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Very scary! I'm glad you will be ok, heal soon but don't try to rush it. Take care. Hopefully the other guy learned his lesson before he kills someone.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Lemme get this again. You're on a BIKE on a two-way traffic highway, and unaware if there is oncoming traffic in the other lane, you overtake a motorhome on a blind corner? Wow! This kind of idiot probably doesn't even know which end of a gun the bullet comes out. Thanks for the post!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ouch that sucks.. hopefully you'll heal up quickly.. +1 on taking the other guy to court.. someone like that should also have lost their license...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're alive... Ojai is an amazing, but treacherous road... Almost everyone I know that rides that road often has crashed on it (including me...).

I see this in your future :D

2011-triumph-speed-triple-official-4.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If I was there with you I would have had a hard time not attacking the guy. WTF. I would have at least attempted to choke the **** out of him until he cried about how dumb and sorry he was. Geeze. What a jerk.

Crazy that the police let someone ride away after they have clearly demonstrated that they are not fit to do so.

Glad you are ok.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Sh*t dude!! I am so glad you are OK! Be sure to see a doctor, and follow up.

What an assh*le to pass on a blind turn like that! That's exactly why you don't do stuff like that, and if you'd been driving instead of riding you could both be dead, and certainly he would be.

You know, that’s exactly what I said to him after that!
I understand that we all do mistakes, but this was a series of mistakes one after another, that just by an insane luck didn’t ended in something tragic…
Pass on a double yellow line, pass on a blind spot, pass in a turn, going on the middle of the opposite lane, c’mon, somebody have to pay for all that!

I am definitely lucky he wasn’t driving!

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're alive... Ojai is an amazing, but treacherous road... Almost everyone I know that rides that road often has crashed on it (including me...).

They've ruined the new Speed 3 with the horrible headlight! Prefer the old bug eyes, like Prebstars 09 one :D The rest of it is ok though

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Glad to see you're not permanently injured or worse! I can only imagine how scary that must've been. I've seen some dumb passes over here on 84 and the like, but dang, that takes the cake for DUMB. :eek: Welcome back!

How is the Triumph totaled? Frame damage? It doesn't even look that bad, considering what happened. I thought it'd be a million pieces.

What you don’t see in the pictures is the entire instrument cluster that was completely ripped off the bike; it was laying on the hwy 30 feet away from the ditch I went into. That alone is like $1,500. That was attached to the frame with a solid aluminum arm – everything was gone.
The fork is $2,000, and so on.

They took it to the Triumph dealer and the estimate for the repairs are over $7,000.
They told me is totaled.

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site

… yes, very nice - teasing a man who is suffering; how can you live with yourself?!
I know this new one, is just gorgeous, I loved my Speed Triple, superb engine & handling, I definitely want something similar, will see, I’ll keep you posted.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
They've ruined the new Speed 3 with the horrible headlight! Prefer the old bug eyes, like Prebstars 09 one :D The rest of it is ok though

"ruined"? :) I like it :BLAA:

… yes, very nice - teasing a man who is suffering; how can you live with yourself?!
I know this new one, is just gorgeous, I loved my Speed Triple, superb engine & handling, I definitely want something similar, will see, I’ll keep you posted.

The Triples are awesome... I'd love to own one.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Those headlights are the "optional" headlights on the new Speed Triple. The round ones are still the standard headlights, thank g-d.

Dave (Wavex), there is a Triple ready to be borrowed any time you want to hit Boston brow...:cheer:

To the OP, thank g-d you are alright. This could have been much worse. As a Rehab Doc, I can tell you that the physical therapy is incredibly important and that you do as you're told in there. If they say do exercises as home, DO THEM! This will greatly speed up your recovery time and ensure a return to pre-accident condition.

Frankly it's better off that your bike is totaled. After that much damage, the bike wouldn't be the same anyway. Better off getting a new one and knowing that it's in perfect shape.:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad to hear you are doing better. I can't imagine what you've been through.

A friend of mine had the exact thing happen on the 17 going to Santa Cruz, only his left arm is completely paralyzed from the shoulder down.

Count your blessings my friend.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, don't get me wrong. I'd still have one :thumbup: Mikes does look pretty sexy sitting in the shed.

RSW81 - Thank goodness that shape is optional :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, don't get me wrong. I'd still have one :thumbup: Mikes does look pretty sexy sitting in the shed.

RSW81 - Thank goodness that shape is optional :D

I just read another updated review of the new Speed and it looks like it was originally intended as an option, but is unfortunately the stock headlight now.:spank:

Those are easy enough to swap out for the round ones though... which is what I'd do if I got one of these.

One of the nice things that changed is the frame is more narrow, making it easier to reach the ground when stopped. I went to demo both the Street and Speed and didn't bother even driving the Speed because I couldn't reach the ground comfortably due to the wide frame behind the tank. The Street I can easily flat foot no problem.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
What you don’t see in the pictures is the entire instrument cluster that was completely ripped off the bike; it was laying on the hwy 30 feet away from the ditch I went into. That alone is like $1,500. That was attached to the frame with a solid aluminum arm – everything was gone.
The fork is $2,000, and so on.

They took it to the Triumph dealer and the estimate for the repairs are over $7,000.
They told me is totaled.

Oh, I see. I figured the forks were money, but had no idea about the rest. That's too bad. You could always find another one somewhere I'm sure. Unless you're looking for an upgrade/something different of course. So many bikes, so little cash.....:D

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, I see. I figured the forks were money, but had no idea about the rest. That's too bad. You could always find another one somewhere I'm sure. Unless you're looking for an upgrade/something different of course. So many bikes, so little cash.....:D

In fact, I just received the estimate from the dealer, and the forks are not even there!
Total is $7900, from that labor is $820 only (keeping the old forks).
Expensive parts – and keep in mind there is no fairings/plastics.