I need some good advise, seriously

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the Philadelphia area where most cars drive at 80mph+ on the highways. I have a rule. I can react, accerate and slow quicker at 120mph than pretty much any car on the road doing 80-90. Not saying I do this all the time. But I do tend to stay about 10mph faster thanst cars. have still had to stretch it a few times though. 155mph on I95 sure was a blast. Dont regret doing it. Wont do it again. Well, probably not.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey buddy,
I have really enjoyed some of your posts on the forum, your since of humor has had my wife giving me that wtf look after reading some of your post. After nearly 11 years in the US Army I have had times I have felt invincible, and times where my own mortality smacked me in the face after the lost of a brother in arms. I do not want to log onto the forum and find myself face to face with that again because I saw you in the Fallen Riders/In Memory of section. So do me a favor, read some of the post in that section. Then sit down, and write out your own Fallen Riders/In Memory of thread. Write out what squish thing might of got you there, write out who is going to be left behind that the rest of us should keep in our prayers, write out a post for you. Save it to your desktop, and every time you start to get squidish just sit down and look it over. Take care.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey buddy,
I have really enjoyed some of your posts on the forum, your since of humor has had my wife giving me that wtf look after reading some of your post. After nearly 11 years in the US Army I have had times I have felt invincible, and times where my own mortality smacked me in the face after the lost of a brother in arms. I do not want to log onto the forum and find myself face to face with that again because I saw you in the Fallen Riders/In Memory of section. So do me a favor, read some of the post in that section. Then sit down, and write out your own Fallen Riders/In Memory of thread. Write out what squish thing might of got you there, write out who is going to be left behind that the rest of us should keep in our prayers, write out a post for you. Save it to your desktop, and every time you start to get squidish just sit down and look it over. Take care.

Damn, that's deep, my brother was in the army for about the same amount of time an is now a local Leo and still in the guard and has told me some of the same things and tried using "scare tactics" telling me how nasty it was scraping this random biker off the road. All that stuff has really made me think in the past but I only thought about it for a min, but I think that writing your own "fallen" bio has big time potential.

Thanks man

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to set a maximum speed that I think is safe for a stretch of rode, before I get to it. That helps me have the idea that XX MPH is what I need to not go over before the endorphins take over and I'm scaring myself.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with opinion here. A track day could work out your demons. Specially if you have an 'off'. A lot safer that coming off on the road and hitting something solid - like a car.
Not wishing to sound flippant, but I found a decent crash slowed me down somewhat.

I really like the self-penned obituary tho. Very sobering

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I was taking a well known curve at about 40 MPH a while back and hit a patch of sand in the middle of the road. The rear skipped a beat and my right foot instinctively went down to the ground to keep the bike stable. It all happened in an instant. I regained control and made it through the rest of the curve. Needless to say, that is the one and only time that my bike/tires have failed to do exactly what I told them to do, and that is all I needed to start slowing down on public roads. I'm young, there's many years ahead, and I really want to save my spirited riding for a track. There are electric motorcycles, automized cars, crash-proof bikes, and other insanely cool technological advancements to look forward to. I would like to see those days.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
It's what I did not to long ago when I met a cop motorcycle doing 50 in a 35 (a no school 4 lane road) I threw him the dueces, look down and saw I was speeding. He hit his brakes and lights and started to bust a u turn, I hit about 120. And thought to myself wtf are you doing?

LOLOLOLOL, nice story. I especially like the "threw him the deuces"

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my first wreck tonight. I hit some gravel/loose road on a 15-20 mph curve in the twisties. The back end busted loose and when it grabbed again it stood the bike up and I was almost out of the corner but the new line I was on was aimed right at the white line/shoulder. I was able to start slowing and almost kept it on the road when it grabbed the shoulder and pulled me off. I snagged a bush that stopped me from flying off a 100+ foot cliff/embankment.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that I wasn't even trying to push it and was actually tyring to go slow.

I guess the moral of the story is **** can happen anytime and it's only a matter of degrees of how bad it gets. I was only going 20 mph when I could have easily been hustling it going 40 and been off a cliff and probably not alive right now.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno :don'tknow:
I'm purdie much in the same boat as you, and have been in this vessel fer over 30 yrs! (Ever since I got my '77 XS750 in '81) Lost my license a couple times back in the day, and now at the ripe old age of 52, have gone a record 5 yrs without a (Convicted) moving violation. (Smashed the previous 3 yr record!)
I too like ta jam, get a rush outta the speed and may be in a RIP thread sum day? But Ride'in is dangerous, 'n sum of us thrive on that. ;)
The track's great if'n you can afford it, but I can't.
If you do find a cure, let me know. :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been down quite a few times, luckily nothing too serious yet, but crashing out dont bother me that much anymore. When I did on the vstrom yeah it shook me up pretty good, and I felt that one for almost 2 weeks and don't remember any of the actual wreck just what led up to it and the after. Maybe if I highsided I might not say that cause that's a little more violent than the lowsides Im used to. I'm still trying desperately to learn how to drift a bike and I found out real quick that lowsides are part of that experience. But I've been fairly good the last few days, not gonna lie and say perfect but I have calmed down considerably.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol that's probably my answer right there, can't believe I haven't thought about it till now. If or should say when this little settlement comes through and get me a new bike make a stunt cage for the fz and call it a day!

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been down quite a few times, luckily nothing too serious yet, but crashing out dont bother me that much anymore. When I did on the vstrom yeah it shook me up pretty good, and I felt that one for almost 2 weeks and don't remember any of the actual wreck just what led up to it and the after. Maybe if I highsided I might not say that cause that's a little more violent than the lowsides Im used to. I'm still trying desperately to learn how to drift a bike and I found out real quick that lowsides are part of that experience. But I've been fairly good the last few days, not gonna lie and say perfect but I have calmed down considerably.
I wuz lucky 'nuff to start in the dirt, where crash'in is just part of ride'in. :steve: Then I got mah street endorsement and continued ta crash on the street. (Back in the dark old dayz of biased ply tires.)
Like you, mostly just lowsides, but I did get hit by a car once, and also bounced of a rock embankment bust'in sum bones, and rip'in sum flesh. :spank:
I still get spirited, but be'in an old bastard, I'm slightly mor careful now. (Haven't wheelied since yesterday!) Though I did bail twice on a muddy-ass road earlier this year. :rof:

fall.jpg

Stunt'in or dirt'in are great escapes; plus ya don't gotta worry 'bout the extortion pigs get'in ya. :rockon:

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find that I do have a hard time not opening it up a bit more than I should when I occasionally get the chance to pass someone on the way to work, and back. I just keep trying to remind myself the bike can do a lot more than I can handle, given my experience. The last time (maybe a month or so ago), I looked down at the speedo & scared the #*% out of myself. :spank: So, I've been trying to go the route of relaxing & focusing on the my surroundings. Riding to work in view of the mountains is pretty awesome. I do also have music to play most evenings to get my kicks, too. That seems to help a lot. :thumbup:

Best wishes, man, and stay safe.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing that pissed me off the most is that I wasn't even trying to push it and was actually tyring to go slow.

I guess the moral of the story is **** can happen anytime and it's only a matter of degrees of how bad it gets. I was only going 20 mph when I could have easily been hustling it going 40 and been off a cliff and probably not alive right now.

my first was early in november, What actually kept me calm was the fact that I wasn't pushin at all, I was able to just accept that it wasn't my fault and that $h!t happens on the calmest of rides.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
my first was early in november, What actually kept me calm was the fact that I wasn't pushin at all, I was able to just accept that it wasn't my fault and that $h!t happens on the calmest of rides.

I know what you mean, it's just been eating at me all morning as I am getting sorer and sorer (is that a word?, lol). I'm lucky it wasn't worse, I'm glad I took the MSF course so that I was prepared better than not. I was going to take the Advanced Rider Course in a couple weeks, but now I have to wait till I get my bike fixed up.

Maybe the OP should consider taking an Advanced Rider Course. The main training group in AZ T.E.A.M Arizona Motorcycle training offer a Total Control I & II Advanced Riding classes ($250 & $300, respectively).

or

We have another shop here that runs the Track Day and offers training.
sbktraining.com

They even have a 3 hour classroom and 3 hour track option usually once a month for only $30 a piece.

Ultimately getting your thrills and skills at those rates is a lot cheaper than the $500 deductible and any other possible epxenses that may occur if you go down.

The Fz6 is confidence inspiring but knowing limits is the most important thing.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have never had a "problem" with the bike... i know my limits.. never been in a crash.. i can totally see how it would hurt like %$# and not to mention what happens to the bike :eek:.. and i have had my moment where the mortality thing kicks on and starts being factored into the decision making process..

as for advise for not "squiding"?? well.. i was given "GROW THE F$%$ UP!!" and "WHAT ARE YOU 12???" from a local state trooper when i first got the bike.. I was let go, he said if i wanted to kill myself, then just make sure im not causing another accident and the above in a 10 min lecture.. no ticket, just the verbal yelling (could even hear him as a trucker went by, yea loud).. but after that I did kinda think about it and it has made me a much better rider / driver / person overall.. i mean, fun is fun, but at some point you do need to act a bit more responsible.. and the track.. the track is truly where its at!!! :thumbup:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a wife and a thirteen year old son. My wife and son deserve to have me drive like I have something to lose. I have urges and once and a while I do try to satisfy them. I just try to remember that I don't want my wife to see the me laying in a hospital or worse.