I need some good advise, seriously

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an old helmet? put on your gear with that, then run as fast as you possibly can straight into a wall. Feel good? Nope. Bet your top speed is less than 10 mph. Then, while you're rubbing your bruises, think about how fast you go on the bike. Physics, man.

I was given that advice by my boss, who has lowsided quite a few bikes in his day screwing around dragging knee on the back roads around where we work. Can't say I don't ride like a jackass though.

I have noticed though, that when I've been riding my bike a lot, I drive my car a lot slower, it's just not as fun anymore (in the winter I drive my car pretty hard, she's a Suby:rockon:). So I'm guessing this is the same logic that goes with the 'go to the track' theme that keeps popping up. It's got to be just that much more fun at the track, that when you're out on the road, you can just enjoy the scenery at a legal pace.

Or get a faster bike and scare yourself ****less:ban:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DIRT!!! Lots of DIRT!
Get crazy in the DIRT!, Wheelie, Slide, Jump! Find wet logs to cross that will take your mind off the thrill and focus ON MAD SKILLZ!!! Crash - kick the mud off your chin and do it again! Find a run or track where you can hammer it lap after lap! I did that for so many years! In due time you learn a bunch of limits!

At the moment its just me and my kids so I have them in my thoughts and how down time and/or death would affect them. But ya, I suffer also. Mine is the thirst for a powerful V8, the sound, the power, the gear grabbing, sliding about. . . . It doesn't just go away on its own so I can relate. At least the new ride handles well and has tons of creature comforts!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't kicked the 250 over in a month of Sundays, I might just have to load it up and go see what I can break lol it will probably be me, It's been that long since I've rode it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I might just have to load it up and go see what I can break lol it will probably be me, It's been that long since I've rode it.

^^ ++++++
I went through a faze (in fact I think we both did) of pulling the nose up on the fiz. Had a close call (missed the rear brake) and have since backed off that line of playfulness/stupidness/squidliness. I need a dirt bike to abuse!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Idea =Randy Final Impact. My dirtbike tends to keep me sort of sain on the road. Althought either place (dirt or street) you can get killed in a heartbeat. Just sayin. Trees rocks stumps ect. are immovable objects and can hurt or kill. Ridin in the dirt is sure awesome fun. Probably did not help in a decision but the track would be a good choise to let loose.

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone has mentioned that you should think about how your family will feel if you're killed or badly injured. The other thing to think about is how you would feel if you kill or badly injure someone else's dad, mom, or child. To have that on your conscience would also be a life changing event.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
a speeding ticked generally costs $150-250 depending on the mood of/personality of the cop issuing the ticket. think about what else you could spend that money on. if i hadn't gotten any of the tickets that i have accumulated since i started college, i would feel much more secure finantially. and every ticket ive gotten was in a car on the few occasions where im traveling home from school. (as ive stated in other posts, i only/always drive fast when i travel, especially when alone.)

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
As a long time cyclist, and new to the moto world, I recommend a mountain bike and some good trails. Getting out of control on dirt and rocks without a motor is fun! Then again, I've seen 10K on my tach in 2nd gear, so far that's the most I've done. Oh yeah, I'm old too.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Just hit a pillow. NSFW language

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEE7xzwogMc"]Hit the Pillow - Analyze This (2/4) Movie CLIP (1999) HD - YouTube[/ame]

:D

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
I struggled with the same thing as the OP. I realize that its a demon I cant control and now my bike is for sale.

I bought a DR650 that was converted to a motard and LOVE it. I can dog the hell out of it through the gears and still not get to 100 mph. There are bikes now that have fuel injection, less than 40 hp and ABS brakes such as the Ninja 300 and the Honda CBR250R that let you have a ton of fun at lower speeds.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I struggled with the same thing as the OP. I realize that its a demon I cant control and now my bike is for sale.

I bought a DR650 that was converted to a motard and LOVE it. I can dog the hell out of it through the gears and still not get to 100 mph. There are bikes now that have fuel injection, less than 40 hp and ABS brakes such as the Ninja 300 and the Honda CBR250R that let you have a ton of fun at lower speeds.

When I had my klr I was in the same mind state lol it didn't have any power and couldn't break 100 either, but that didn't stop me lol I actually acted up more on it than I did my fz. Sidewalks were awesome lol

But I'm glad I kinda decided that I was getting carried away yesterday because I do believe they were looking for me today. When I got on i75 I passed 4 state troopers, 2 on the on ramp and 2 a mile past and after I passed both of them pulled out and kept their distance but I still saw em...

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say if it's really an issue that you don't trust yourself with, then maybe a downgrade is what you need. As others mentioned, the ninja 300 or cbr250 or even a supermoto look awesome, yet you won't be able to go much over 100 mph.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not that I don't trust myself because I have too much trust in myself if that makes any sense lol

But no a downgrade wouldn't help at all, like I was just saying when I had my klr I acted up more on it than I did on my fz. But yesterday on my way home I just kept telling myself, take it easy, take it easy, take it easy. Also kinda turned it into a competition with myself to try and see if I can keep the rpms under 6k the entire time for a month and see how it effects my gas mileage.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not that I don't trust myself because I have too much trust in myself if that makes any sense lol

But no a downgrade wouldn't help at all, like I was just saying when I had my klr I acted up more on it than I did on my fz. But yesterday on my way home I just kept telling myself, take it easy, take it easy, take it easy. Also kinda turned it into a competition with myself to try and see if I can keep the rpms under 6k the entire time for a month and see how it effects my gas mileage.

Well the fact that you're writing on here about it, means you actually do want to change your habits. I used to do the same thing, and tell myself to take it easy, just so I could get better gas mileage...lol. Maybe a track bike something you should check out.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
whenever I tell myself to take it easy it usually ends up in me annoying myself and going harder.

whenever you attract that much attention from GSP you need to take a different vehicle for a few days.....think about it, that means they were told on multiple occasions about a flying bike on 75, and received enough to warrant putting 4! GSP on it.....thats ALOT OF ATTENTION!

take your truck for a week.....I know it will kill you, but seriously, you kinda have to at this point....because if they do hit you with the lights you will either be super screwed or you will try and run and end up REALLY screwed. best case you get away but then you cant ride ANYWHERE because there will be cops lookin for that specific bike...or you die...thats worse.

adjust ur throttle cable so that you only get like 60% throttle or somethin....
for real,,, GSP worrys me.....a lot....

grouzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Seek out a hospital nurse and listen to some of the horror stories. My sister in law described a few and it slowed me down.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
whenever I tell myself to take it easy it usually ends up in me annoying myself and going harder.

whenever you attract that much attention from GSP you need to take a different vehicle for a few days.....think about it, that means they were told on multiple occasions about a flying bike on 75, and received enough to warrant putting 4! GSP on it.....thats ALOT OF ATTENTION!

take your truck for a week.....I know it will kill you, but seriously, you kinda have to at this point....because if they do hit you with the lights you will either be super screwed or you will try and run and end up REALLY screwed. best case you get away but then you cant ride ANYWHERE because there will be cops lookin for that specific bike...or you die...thats worse.

adjust ur throttle cable so that you only get like 60% throttle or somethin....
for real,,, GSP worrys me.....a lot....

Yeah gsp don't play around, luckily I have like 4 different ways I can take to work, but either way I prolly will take the truck all next week just because I don't like that attention.