I must be NUTS! 22 State Ride?!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
When you come through Vancouver, WA let me know so I can say hello in person. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't get time to do anything close to that.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I-55 N to Festus, MO - Google Maps

What do you guys think. Am I insane or what?

By my count that is 22 states!
from this map you need to hit SR101 from Olympia, WA down to Astoria, OR. SR101 starts in Olympia and goes down to San Diego, CA. You'll get to see the beautiful San Juan Islands and see Vancouver Island in the distant, from the north side of of 101, and the Pacific Ocean on the west part of the Olympic Peninsula, SR101 has some really windy roads, that some people come from all over world to take their high-end sport cars on. I'm not really sure what parts are better than others, I haven't made the trip in a really long time.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
When you come through Vancouver, WA let me know so I can say hello in person. Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't get time to do anything close to that.

The fact that most people never find the time to do something like this is precisely the reason I want to do it. I am married but we both work full time jobs. We want kids but dont have any yet. I will have 3 weeks vacation to use this year but my wife has only one. Once we do have kids I will want to spend my vacation time on them.

Also, my parents never did alot of traveling and yet I love hearing the stories of the places they have been. I am working on stockpiling the story storage so my kids and grandkids can enjoy the same feeling when I am older.

It would really be great to be able to meet and possibly crash on the couches of members here. It would save me lots of money and really enhance the trip.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
http://tinyurl.com/JamesBay

After reading a couple of ride reports on riding to James Bay, I have drawn up this route. It is good to have options and this route hits every northeastern state. In fact, I w ould have hit every state in the east except the carolinas.

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I say GO CRAZY! That looks like a trip my wife and I want to do but ours is 9,293 miles! It's some of your trip but extend that over to NH as the start and end and down into TX, over to the east coast and up the coast.

For our epic journey, we're planning on 3 weeks though and hitting many possible highlights along the way. One goal is to meet at least 1 forum member in every state we go through. :D

I'm totally envious... ;)

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I say GO CRAZY! That looks like a trip my wife and I want to do but ours is 9,293 miles! It's some of your trip but extend that over to NH as the start and end and down into TX, over to the east coast and up the coast.

For our epic journey, we're planning on 3 weeks though and hitting many possible highlights along the way. One goal is to meet at least 1 forum member in every state we go through. :D

I'm totally envious... ;)

21 days riding would be tedious I think. I am planning on ten days whichever route I take.

If I go to James Bay I will be going through NH.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
21 days riding would be tedious I think. I am planning on ten days whichever route I take.

If I go to James Bay I will be going through NH.

Well, we'd be stopping in several places for a few days so it wouldn't be riding every day. ;)

Now, if you come through NH, you know you need to give us a heads-up so we can meet and eat. If you're staying the night, you can garage, wrench and crash here. You wouldn't be the first traveler we've put up over night and fed a hot meal.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Well, we'd be stopping in several places for a few days so it wouldn't be riding every day. ;)

Now, if you come through NH, you know you need to give us a heads-up so we can meet and eat. If you're staying the night, you can garage, wrench and crash here. You wouldn't be the first traveler we've put up over night and fed a hot meal.

Appreciate that. May have to take you up on it.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Dang, dude, Dover (haha triple D's) is right on the Maine border.... PERFECT for my route! If I do choose the Canada route, I'll plan around crashing at your place on the way through.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
It would really be great to be able to meet and possibly crash on the couches of members here. It would save me lots of money and really enhance the trip.

Dirk here is a good guy. I live nearish him and met him a while back. If I lived in the western states Dirk you could stay a night!

Id set a side an extra one or two hundred for speeding tickets!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site

^^^ Ditto what Nick said!! :D Dirk is a very nice guy, and you would be wise to make plans to meet him! (and he would probably be a very nice house guest, too!) :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I extend this offer to any one of you who would be needing a place for a night traveling through NH. Garage the bike, wrench if needed, a hot meal and some good company. If the timing it right, I'd even ride out to meet ya and ride out a ways with you in the morning to see you off. :D

After the day Dirk just had, he needs a break!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
After the day Dirk just had, he needs a break!

TRUE DAT!

What Eric is referring to:
My wife backed off the side of the driveway, then spun the tires enough to sink the blazer into the mud and tear the valve stem off one of the rear wheels. So... had to get grandpa to tow me out, then had to jack up the muddy blazer and take off the muddy tire and put on the spare.

Great fun! Don't you wish you could have been here to help?!

Thanks for the kind words, Beth and Nick.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your sense of adventure and yes- do it while you can at any age!

May I suggest another course of action. Fly to the west coast and rent a bike for 6 days or so.
Have you ever been out west? There is sooo much to see,between Seattle and Phoenix and the right time to do it. Vegas or Arizona in the summer is brutal or many of the best passes in the Sierrra's or Cascades are closed until June some years. You mentioned the coast which is great except for fog or heavy traffic in the summer.

The time you travel helps point you in the best direction to go.
I have done this twice in the past 3 years, once with my wife and once alone. It's great when you don't want to burn up time and tires just getting across some flat states. With all the members out here we can help you find and ride some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere.

Nccoder and the So Cal boys gave me some great routes for when I was down there on a 4 day 1,725 mile ride a few weeks back. The locals always know the BEST roads.

This is also a fun way to ride a different bike than what you have. Perhaps something a bit more up to the task of touring.
For the record if you get close to me I have a place for you to sleep. Ahh... nothing better than planing a road trip!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I understand your reasoning to fly then ride.... but that would defeat the purpose. The destination is not California, the west coast or where ever is the furthest from where I live. From the time I leave my driveway, I have arrived. The destination is the ride!