I Defy The Vmax!!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell you why I don't like the 2009 VMAX:

-The engine is perfect, it's just EVERYTHING AROUND the engine looks slapped together.
-There were obviously too many people working on this project; too many cooks equals cheap food.
-It's VERY OBVIOUS that when you look at the NEW Vmax, Yamaha couldn't decide what to do with the bike.

I actually have TONS of respect for the 1985 Vmax, because Yamaha new EXACTLY what they were doing with that bike. They were like, "This is it, guys! We're going to build a cruiser/street hybrid bike that will **** the **** out of everybody else on the drag!!"

...and they did it before, but I don't think so now.

For the 2009 Vmax, Yamaha was like, "Okay, we want to upgrade the Vmax....hmm...how are we going to do it?"

(6 prototypes later)

"Uhh, I think we've got it now...hmmm....maybe we'll use that ONE SIZED tire too large for the common populace? Yeah...200 is the way to go! Now the consumer will be ****ED over in getting a new tire, which they'll BURN OUT all the time because it's a DRAG BIKE!! Yeah...190 will be too easy to find and replace."

Ohh yeah...your supercharger? Well, we have to have a talk about that. You see, the 2009 Vmax has a STINGENT air sensor! If you mess with the those parameter on the Vmax, you'll have the engine warning light come on! Guaranteed. It's like the new cars!

Here's the question: What are the drag times like? I honestly don't think the 2009 Vmax can match a ZX-14 or Hayabusa or whatever.

Those are my rants. I thought the 2009 Vmax was going to be the ULTIMATE drag-bike out of the box...but there are some second thoughts with this one.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I surprised Yamaha changed it any. When did it first come out? It took this long to finally update the thing. Hell maybe the Banche will get a face lift now... its been over due for at least 10 years now. But then again they cant hold a candle to the new YFZ 450...

-bryan

H

HavBlue

Originally Posted by Elm
You see, the 2009 Vmax has a STINGENT air sensor!

Originally posted by Fred
I'm sorry, it's got a what?

Hey, can I get an answer to this one as well?

Elm, I haven't a clue what your background in motorcycles is nor do I know what you are riding now. What I do know is this, ya really need to get a grip on what you are looking at and the history behind it. At present, Yamaha is attempting to get back that which they lost about 20 years ago and that's the flat out record for the fastest 1/4 mile production street machine. In the last 10 years bikes like the XX, Hayabusa and ZX-14 have made it clear sportbikes rule the roost however, it would appear this may change and soon. The V-Max has never been the stylish head turner or even the technologically superior machine but one thing is for certain, they were fast and even the older 1980's models in good condition could give most bikes of today a real headache in a straight line. If you want fluff, buy a Silverwing because the V-Max is about to put the cruiser back on a map at the top of the hill.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there needs to be a little bit more education before the mouth starts to move! If the o2 sensor was a problem then there would not be any on any FI Bike nor car for that matter. by the way a little bit more education Yamaha makes Zero 2 Stroke Snowmobiles, ATV's, watercrafts...... the Banshee was dead in 2006. They made minor internal changes to the VMAX for those 20 some years. It was a great seller up until about 2005. The main reason you do not see a whole lot is the cost of insurance..... and fuel price.... they weren't the best on gas...

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The new V-max is so expensive. I really liked the old V-Max. A very unique motorcycle. Really advanced intake technology back then(V-Booost). Kinda reminds me of the old Maxims and Secas with their YICS technology. Just like the old one howerver, I still think it looks like Frankenstein's motorcycle. They advertise V-Max as a quater mile runner. The specs given in Cycle World says that it has a electronically limited top speed of 137 MPH/220 KPH. It makes about 197 horsepower, and max torque of 123 Ft-Lb a@ 6500 RPM. V-Boost is replaced with YCCI R1 intake technology. Lots of interesting stuff in the article. I really like how Yamaha tried to retain some of the old Vmax. However with that high price, it seems like Yamaha is aiming at the older more successful crowd or old V-max loyalists. What ticks me off the most is that it doesn't come with a centerstand anymore.

H

HavBlue

The new V-max is so expensive. I really liked the old V-Max. A very unique motorcycle. Really advanced intake technology back then(V-Booost). Kinda reminds me of the old Maxims and Secas with their YICS technology. Just like the old one however, I still think it looks like Frankenstein's motorcycle. They advertise V-Max as a quater mile runner. The specs given in Cycle World says that it has a electronically limited top speed of 137 MPH/220 KPH. It makes about 197 horsepower, and max torque of 123 Ft-Lb a@ 6500 RPM. V-Boost is replaced with YCCI R1 intake technology. Lots of interesting stuff in the article. I really like how Yamaha tried to retain some of the old Vmax. However with that high price, it seems like Yamaha is aiming at the older more successful crowd or old V-max loyalists. What ticks me off the most is that it doesn't come with a centerstand anymore.

You forgot to mention it has a strip mode that allows 6 more mph on the top end. Either way the bike has to make a 9.70 pass to make the solid mark. The lowest box stock et I could find was the ZX-10 at 9.76 at 149mph

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
In the last 10 years bikes like the XX, Hayabusa and ZX-14 have made it clear sportbikes rule the roost however, it would appear this may change and soon.

Oh MAN! You should see the battles between the 2008 Hayabusa and Zx-14! Talk about Clash of the Titans! I've seen races between these bikes and they're SO CLOSE to each other. We're talking a .001 second difference.

Suzuki and Kawasaki have no clue about the 2009 Vmax. Oh, and nevermind about the STRINGENT oxygen sensor. I asked the Iridium Terrorist about that and he said it's only in the exhaust and can be easily bypassed if you want a supercharger in the Vmax. He thinks it's fast, but the Suzuki/Kawasaki war will craft mightier weapons in the quest for the fastest 1/4 mile time.

Claud LOVES the Vmax. He thinks it's a cruiser's wet dream. Claud says:

The VMAX is the Millennium Falcon of motorcycles.

Raid The Revenge thinks people should focus more on finesse over power.

I still think the Vmax looks like poop that goes fast. <raspberry>

Here's another video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cgniw06P8U&NR=1"]YouTube - 2009 Yamaha VMAX walk through[/ame]

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
by the way a little bit more education Yamaha makes Zero 2 Stroke Snowmobiles, ATV's, watercrafts...... the Banshee was dead in 2006.

I guess you missed my sarcasim..

This is the last year for any two stroke from the big 4, for the life I cant remember who it is or what. Its still early in the morning.

-bryan

H

HavBlue

I guess you missed my sarcasim..

This is the last year for any two stroke from the big 4, for the life I cant remember who it is or what. Its still early in the morning.

-bryan

Yeah and those of us that do still have the two strokes are not getting rid of them. I love my 2 strokes......

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im sorry i guess i did miss the sarcasm... the top speed is limited, however that can all be changed. its electronically limited all street cars are limited however you see them go down drag strips at a much faster speed....

H

HavBlue

all street cars are limited however you see them go down drag strips at a much faster speed....

My wifes isn't and it will sit at 140 all day long if needs be. It's not modified either.......

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wifes isn't and it will sit at 140 all day long if needs be. It's not modified either.......

Vehicles are limited to some arbitrary speed which the manufacturer decides, or the maximum speed rating of the tires that the vehicle was equipped with from the factory- whichever is lower.

Or they simply can't go as fast or faster than what the tires equipped from the factory are rated for, because it doesn't have enough power.

That way if someone modifies their car and crashed because the tires fail when they're over the max speed rating, it's the consumers fault for modifying the car beyond factory specifications.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as that 200 rear tire METZELER makes one in the ME880. not very hard to attain..... plus give the other manufactures a few months and every single one will have at least one tire available for it. Just because it will do 140 how do you know that it is not limited to just above that?....

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as that 200 rear tire METZELER makes one in the ME880. not very hard to attain..... plus give the other manufactures a few months and every single one will have at least one tire available for it. Just because it will do 140 how do you know that it is not limited to just above that?....

Also many of the newer electronically controlled cars and stuff don't cut out when they've reached their limiter, they just sit steady at it and can make it very convincing that it's topped itself out and just doesn't have enough power to go faster.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 06-07 Hyundai Sonata models did not have a speed limiter. The V6 cars could attain 150 mph. The 08 and newer cars have a limiter, due to police departments whining that they could not catch a $20,000 car in a high speed chase.:eek: Maybe the police should finally dump the Crown Vics and actually get cars that can keep up with modern family sedans.:D So not every vehicle sold has a limiter set from the factory.

Sorry for the highjack.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com

Oh, and nevermind about the STRINGENT oxygen sensor. I asked the Iridium Terrorist about that and he said it's only in the exhaust and can be easily bypassed if you want a supercharger in the Vmax.

A couple of corrections.

1. Stringent Oxygen Sensor? You need to check your terminology. I've never heard of a Stringent Oxygen Sensor. Neither has Google. 0 hits for "Stringent oxygen sensor."

2. There's two types of oxygen sensors, narrowband and wideband. Most vehicles have narrowbands from the factory. A few, generally hybrids, have widebands.

3. Both narrowband and wideband sensors work just fine with forced induction. There's no need to bypass anything. Every EFI computer has certain RPM's and MAP/TPS values where it'll ignore Lambda input. Since you have to reprogram for boost anyway, it's the work of moments to have the computer ignore Lambda under boost.

If you're interested in learning more, there's a couple of very good resources out there. You can learn a lot by reading the through MegaSquirt Forums This is the website for the MegaSquirt EFI controller, an open source fuel injection solution. You can learn a lot here.

Also, for a really good read, pick up "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell. It's, in my opinion, the bible of all things boosted. There's not much that it leaves unanswered.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Everything I type in ALL CAPS (STRINGENT oxygen sensor) is my own crap.

Can someone post a link for a size 200 tire? I want to know how easy it is to buy one.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
...this came up too many times for me not to say something

'Stringent' is an adjective (meaning: restrictive or rigid), not the name of a part or product.

"Many motorcyclists find helmet laws to be too stringent."

Last edited: