I Defy The Vmax!!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
This engine makes me feel so sad.

-15+ years of development
-6 different prototypes
-Overpriced and Unfit.

Yamaha is beginning to fall into Honda's bad behaviour. Here it is, the worst wonder of the world:

THE 2009 Vmax
attachment.php

2009 Yamaha VMAX Video, video clips, movie, movies

YAMAHA just couldn't decide what to do with this engine, so they did EVERYTHING to it. It's wrong. The R1 and R6 were stripped of their medals and slapped together into this 2009 VMAX like nothing.

Go on! I DARE you to say, "It's good." I dare you to say it's "COOL!" Who'll be the first to say it? ARRGHR GHER hgh! Someone pull the engine out of this bike!! Don't you see it? The engine is screaming with pain and agony in that frame! IT WANTS OUT!! It looks like a giant bacterial cell is engulfing the engine! Get the frame away! ARGHH!!

PLASTIC FUEL TANK!! COATED WITH FLUORIDE!! 15 LITRE TANK!! CRISS-CROSSING COLORS ON THE HUD!! YOU DON'T DO THAT!! 2 RADIATORS FOR THE COOLANT ONLY!!! NO NO NON NON ONNONONOONO NO!!! 200KM TOP SPEED UNLESS YOU DRAG!! NONON ONONO !

THOSE ROTORS ARE FROM KAWASAKI! SOMEBODY PUT THEM BACK!! WAVE-ROTORS MY BIG, THICK, CHUBBY ASS!!

Does Yamaha plan on putting those on their future bikes? OH GOD NO!! PLEASE NO!!

680 lbs of human life wasted away, into this unforgiven machine.

I'm sorry. I'll calm down now. Maybe people will buy it afterall? Seperate chain and shaft drives? NON ONON ON ONO NON NONNO NON ONO NO!

Sorry. I can't stop losing it. I'd better go now.

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

680 lbs of human life wasted away, into this unforgiven machine.

I'm sorry. I'll calm down now. Maybe people will buy it afterall? Seperate chain and shaft drives? NON ONON ON ONO NON NONNO NON ONO NO!

Sorry. I can't stop losing it. I'd better go now.

What? Some of your rant does not make much sense. What do you mean separate chain and shaft drives? It is a shaft driven motorcycle, nothing new there. The cams are chain and gear driven, something Toyota and Nissan have done in the past too. Ducati, Kawasaki, and Yamaha used to use bevel gears to drive the cams on their twins. 680 LBS is light for a power cruiser, ever driven a Vulcan 2000, that bike is over 800 lbs.

And I think it is a neat bike, few will have one, so this is perfect for the "not me too" crowd.

H

HavBlue

Here ya go Elm, get smoked.... This bike is going after the likes of the Busa and ZX-14.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83E_67XqNP4"]YouTube - 2009 VMax First Look[/ame]

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm sorry, but the sound of that engine made my heart bleed. What are they thinking over at Yamaha? It's sounds like a mega loser wimp ass bike.

On the other hand, I don't think it looks that bad

*ducks* :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is one ugly bike, at least in my book. The motor started as a touring bike motor on the Venture Royale. I am pretty sure it was a 1200. The old Venture was very fast so Yamaha stuck it in the VMAX costume. They created this bike into response to Honda's V65 Magna (there's fugly bike).

While you may not like it Elm, it has been a bike that has been popular for many years and always sold out. Very few vehicles have last as long at the VMAX.

H

HavBlue

i'm sorry, but the sound of that engine made my heart bleed. What are they thinking over at Yamaha? It's sounds like a mega loser wimp ass bike.

On the other hand, I don't think it looks that bad

*ducks* :)

Interesting how sound doesn't equate to performance. The FZ6 is a great example. Quite but deadly and I have lost count when it comes to kids and their fixed up cages that thought they could beat up on the little quiet bike sitting next to them; only to find out this bike has teeth and it bites.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting how sound doesn't equate to performance. The FZ6 is a great example. Quite but deadly and I have lost count when it comes to kids and their fixed up cages that thought they could beat up on the little quiet bike sitting next to them; only to find out this bike has teeth and it bites.

FZ6 = wolf in sheeps clothing?

H

HavBlue

FZ6 = wolf in sheeps clothing?

Absolutely....

We can thank Araki and Ashihara who spent a month isolated in a design office is Santa Monica California for the V-Max. Pete is correct in that the original engine was that of the Venture but it only put out 95hp where the improved V-Max version came with 145hp when first introduced. At the time and just before production they (Yamaha) was still having problems with the drivetrain in terms of strength. Interestingly the bike has developed almost a cult following and while it may be ugly to those outside that world, the owners can only equate that monsterous bulk along the lines of two things, torque and speed. This bike will pull your arms out of their sockets and I for one hope it spanks the Busa and ZX-14 in a quarter mile. Time will tell.....

viper94bite

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I guess every bike out there has a crowd that hates it. Personally I have owned many bikes including a VMAX I loved the bike but it did not suit my needs of being able to tour. Loads of power handled pretty good for a cruiser type. I would have kept it as a second bike if I could have.

Whether or not they are attractive bikes or not is all in the eye of the beholder. However I could not count the amount of compliments I had on mine which was nearly stock. People look at these bikes and know that they have power.

Like most stock bikes they don’t sound too mean. That is why there is such a huge aftermarket pipe selection for bikes. And as far as the 2009 I think the bike is wicked cool. Unfortunately the $18k sticker price puts it in harley territory and I’m not gonna even get started on those hunks of scrap.

H

HavBlue

Well I guess every bike out there has a crowd that hates it. Personally I have owned many bikes including a VMAX I loved the bike but it did not suit my needs of being able to tour. Loads of power handled pretty good for a cruiser type. I would have kept it as a second bike if I could have.

Whether or not they are attractive bikes or not is all in the eye of the beholder. However I could not count the amount of compliments I had on mine which was nearly stock. People look at these bikes and know that they have power.

Like most stock bikes they don’t sound too mean. That is why there is such a huge aftermarket pipe selection for bikes. And as far as the 2009 I think the bike is wicked cool. Unfortunately the $18k sticker price puts it in Harley territory and I’m not gonna even get started on those hunks of scrap.

I don't know that I have ever called something a hunk of crap that I hadn't actually spent some time with or owned long enough to know it was or wasn't a hunk of crap. I am on my 3rd Harley and found each of them (all Sporties) to be unique in and of itself. One thing is a certain fact, I have never, not in all the years I have been riding, found a dealer and or aftermarket network that supported a machine anywhere near the way Harley is followed and supported. Interestingly, the Star and other manufacturers of the cruiser lines now mimics Harley to a tee.

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh...

Never really been a huge fan of cruisers anyway, and wouldn't look twice at yet another V-twin or V-quad design. I like the I-4s.

I don't see how slapping TWO V-twins together is somehow better, but to each his own.

I'd rather have an FZ-1!

:)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the best looking.... It is way over priced..... but MAN!!! It can GO GO GO!!! Incredibly FAST bike!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I like it! Drag racers LOVE the Vmax.
You can easily supercharge it.
And it's a good looking machine.

What's not to like?

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it, it looks different. I would not mind owning one if i could afford it :p
The engine makes me think a stock Yamaha engine, kinda has the same buzz and sound, lol. The thing is a monster tho...

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know what the funniest part of all of this is Yamaha is a multi Trillion Dollar operation.... Hmmm do you really think they would spend loads of money on R&D if they thought a bike would flop? I don't think so. Everyone has their own opinion. However some are big and bad behind a keyboard but in public they are the biggest wusses..... My question here is why do you hate it? because you could never afford one or because you are jealous of the people who can afford them? The Vmax doesnt make any sense it makes perfect sense to me. Its fast its different and not everyone can afford one..... why is it over priced I do not seem to see very much on here bout people talking about harley being over priced the only thing harley has changed in 40 years is they added fuel injection now I would say they are over priced there is about as much technology in the new Vmax as there is a Gold wing.... if you want to talk about practical then everyone should be driving solar powered cars and bikes.... their are many impractical bikes on the street lets see. R1, R6, FZ1, FZ6, ZX14, ZX10, ZX6, basically anything that can go over 80mph is impractical..

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your opinion with us ELM!!! respecting your thoughts, everyone has different thoughts about VMAX.....it is one of those love it or hate it bikes...
i never rode one but i know that it is pretty fast and full of torque,,,,
years and years ago,,i was doing around 50 mph and following a crazy vmax rider,,,he decided to have fun and dropped one shift ,,started doing a burnout while going 50 mph, leaving one thick black stripe on the asphalt...i was so impressed of the power of the bike,,,there is no way someone would convince me not to like it :D i dont remember hearing anything bad about it...
plus it never loses money,,even the older models are still going for a lot of money

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Meh...

Never really been a huge fan of cruisers anyway, and wouldn't look twice at yet another V-twin or V-quad design. I like the I-4s.

I don't see how slapping TWO V-twins together is somehow better, but to each his own.

I'd rather have an FZ-1!

:)

Torque! V anything is FAST out of the hole! I can't stand the sound of a V4 MC compared to an I4, but damn can they scoot out of a corner!

If you think a V4 is funny, check out a SQUARE 4, like what the old 2-Stoke 500 GP bikes used, that is one odd motor!