Hypothetical police situation

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Question:

If a cop is chasing two speeding bikers who run but pulls over another who doesn't, third guy was speeding but not nearly as fast, and the guy who gets pulled over gives a name of one of the @ssholes who disappeared, what is the legal recourse here. No plate was seen, it was fairly dark, the guy who got nailed gave his opinion of who he thought it was, no details, address or anything, and the cop gives him a warning but is obviously very pissed off, what is the next step for the cop? Just curious.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the Cop has nothing? He let the one off with a warning, the rest is hear say.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Who me? :D Nothing! And I stick by my story! But I did install my 2bros. last night...

Moral of story- don't ride with these-->:squid: and if you do, and they almost land you in jail for something they did, and leave you to the wolves, all bets are off.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Who me? :D Nothing! And I stick by my story! But I did install my 2bros. last night...

Moral of story- don't ride with these-->:squid: and if you do, and they almost land you in jail for something they did, and leave you to the wolves, all bets are off.

:rof: Just glad this story had a happy ending.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Question:

If a cop is chasing two speeding bikers who run but pulls over another who doesn't, third guy was speeding but not nearly as fast, and the guy who gets pulled over gives a name of one of the @ssholes who disappeared, what is the legal recourse here. No plate was seen, it was fairly dark, the guy who got nailed gave his opinion of who he thought it was, no details, address or anything, and the cop gives him a warning but is obviously very pissed off, what is the next step for the cop? Just curious.

Find the nearest krispy kreame for hot doughnuts and a coffee to celebrate a job well done!

"Lord I appologize."

Sounds like he doesnt have much. Probably just forget about it. Chances are those guys will end up hurting themselves before they hurt someone else.

-bryan

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the Cop has nothing? He let the one off with a warning, the rest is hear say.

Second that. I am Not a lawyer. The reason the cop was so mad was there's nothing he can do. Even if he found the guys later at the gas station he pretty much has to catch them in the act to have a chance in court. That's why so many places are going towards radar+cameras. They snap your photo and send you a ticket. Then it's up to you to hire someone to fight it. You lose either way. :( Don't pay it and you won't get your license renewed. Not enough incentive? Don't pay it and have your state income tax rebate withheld. Still not convinced? Don't pay it and have your house sold at auction!!! This is absurd. Where's dako when you need him... :rant:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were in that situation, I'd just say I did not know then and was kind of tagging along waiting for them to stop so I could meet them.

"But I'm the responsible one who stopped while they ran Officer."

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were in that situation, I'd just say I did not know then and was kind of tagging along waiting for them to stop so I could meet them.

"But I'm the responsible one who stopped while they ran Officer."

Yeah. :rof: What are you, some kind of habitual truth teller ... :liar:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The driver would have to be identified. Some officers will stop to no end until the offender is identified. Also depends on whether it is a misdemeanor or felony.

Last edited:

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rule of thumb is don't pursue fleeing motorcycles because when they wreck and kill or maim themselves, you will not be involved in the massive lawsuit that is sure to follow. Unless a serious felony has been committed, robbery,murder etc..

Last edited:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
Is your question, what could happen to the guys who got away? If so, they just committed a felony. Probable cause means an officer does not have to observe the crime. A good officer will follow up and track the name down. The fact that a license plate was not seen is really inconsequencial (sp?). Too many people think that just because they got away that night there will be no recourse. Just food for thought. Most people are arrested after the crime is committed, not during. Be careful on what advice you receive online, it may not be entirely correct.