Old Funny Story - Revisited

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Original Title: Who are you, and what did you do with my wife?

Before I start the story, please understand that my wife is a wonderful person :thumbup: and has been surprisingly supportive ever since I gingerly mentioned that I was, you know, maybe thinking of buying a bike. (I was riding when we met in college but tapered off then stopped a bit after our first was born and I started a suit & tie job.) But she also has a rep for being pretty much a straight arrow, which seems to come with teaching elementary school music.

So, I find the bike I want, Craigslist. It's a great deal but is 60 miles away and is on the other side of the river, in Ohio. I'm in WV. Plan A was for my neighbor (experienced rider, great guy) to ride it back, but he was not available till Sunday. Then I learn from my local dealer that I need to get the title notarized because it will be switching states, and our best bet was to go to the Ohio BMV. They're not open on Sunday. Will I wait till next weekend? :eek: RIGHT

So, plan B is that I ride it back. Yep, first ride in at least 25 years - 60 miles. The wife is still fine with this. Notice the title of the post?

One more wrinkle. I forgot to look into getting temp plates. We realize this in the parking lot at the BMV. After a bit of discussion we decide to wing it. (This part is unlike either of us. BIKE FEVER!)

Next, I suggest that I should follow her on the way back home, but she insists that she'd rather follow me. She hates the GPS and wasn't watching the road on the way there. After a very brief suspicion that she was going along with the whole bike thing so she could dispose of me by running me down, well fairly brief, I agreed and we go.

So I take off and I'm being VERY VERY careful, sticking to the speed limit EXACTLY! Perfect skills-test-type stops at stop signs, the works. The wife is following closely so, you know, it's less likely anybody, ahem, will get close enough to notice the lack of a plate. The first 20 miles were 2-lane with no place to pass. I noticed that a red Cherokee was tailgating my wife pretty hard for the last few miles before the road widened to 4 lanes. Soon as possible, the Jeep flew by. A few minutes later my wife passes and signals to pull over. She's decided to use a gun?

So I stop, pop the helmet, and walk up to the car. She asks, "Are you doing OK?" I'm grinning ear to ear. Yeah, it's going great. I LOVE this bike! Again she asks, "No, really. Is everything OK?" Hmmmm, I finally recognize the tone of voice, and the look in the eye. So I ask, "What's up Honey? Why are you asking?"

Get ready...

She asks, "Why are you going SO SLOW?" After a moment of stunned silence, maybe a minute or ten, I cracked another grin and asked her the "who are you?" line. But she's serious. :confused: "I was going exactly 55! It wasn't a 65 zone, was it?" She says "No, but you were going 51, not 55." But, but, NO Way! Never...

Hmmmm. After a moment, some of those old brain cells reconnected and I remembered seeing posts on this forum about the speedometer error. I resolved ON THE SPOT that I was going to get one of those calibration correctors. The rest of the trip I did not enjoy estimating my speed by multiplying by 0.9.

After getting home and doing a bit more research I ordered a SpeedoDRD. Installation was very easy. Wife helped calibrate it with ony a few compaints. It works great! Correction of 4.5%.

BTW, the tags were obtained first thing that Monday and the inspection was done Tuesday.

Chris Shoop

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This past weekend Tom Repetti and I hosted some guys from the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc) for a Friday / Saturday ride out of Milford PA. It was great.

So, the first day, Tom was leading and I was sweeping, using Sena Coms (until Tom switches to Cardo). Tom says "the road is clear. Think they'll be ok if I kick t up to (REDACTED to protect the not-so-innocent)? A minute later, I ask, "Weren't you going to go to (REDACTED). Tom: we're there. Me: No, we're at least 5 mph low. Tom: What? So I point out that the FZ6 is known to show a speedo reading at least 5% above what it's actually doing.

That conversation caused me to remember the day that I resolved to get a correction device. So, I dredged up a story that I posted in 2014.

Tom: http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

You can also find them on Amazon, get the Y1 model.

Chris Shoop