How much have you spent servicing your bike at the dealership?

How much have you spent getting your bike serviced or repaired at the dealership?

• $ 0.00 bike was still under warranty or I had no repairs or servicing needed.

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • Under $250.00 USD

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • $250 - $500 USD

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • $500 - $1,000 USD

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • $1,000 - and up

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
So far---I hope that I don't sound like I'm bragging---I haven't spent a dime at the dealership. All DIY. I might do the valve adjustment myself...maybe.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Took mine in today for the 600 mile(840) service. Service manager said about $85. A lot but I trust my dealership. We'll see what the bill is soon. Also I get a 15% VIP discount on all services.

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had the 4k service last week (post gravel encounter)- paid $80 for the full service and I was right next to them and my fizzer the whole time (gotta love that open shop format!). They also fixed a bunch of stuff on my bike for free- slapped black bike paint on the scratched crankcase, the bar end, and the tiny mark on the swing arm, straightened the left foot on the center stand (sledgehammer...) and, after attempting to bend my kickstand back in place and accidentally breaking it off, took it next door and had the owner of an auto shop weld it back on (free of charge, but I tipped the guy anyways). They put in a new cotter pin for the foot peg bolt, too- the original was sheared completely off... Getting a set of 021 tires from them next week for only $219 total :rockon: Love that shop...

I want to work my way to up to maintaining my bikes completely on my own, but for now I'm leaving it to the people who really know what they're doing. Just watching and learning atm.

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
The first service was $75. oil and filter @ 500 miles the next at 5000 was $115. PITA fee because I had aftermarket fairings. Did the recall too on the TPS?

Unrelated I still have a speedo error my GPS shows 45 the bike is 51.
I got the speedohealer but haven't installed it yet. LAZY:spank:

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't spent any money yet because I just got mine! But I will do all maintenance so that won't change. I'm anal and don't let many people touch any of my vehicles. :thumbup:

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
screw that, i have given the robbing basterds nothing, except for oil and filters. when i got my bike new i got a free bellypan with the deal and they stripped a timing cover bolt hole and my kick stand switch didnt work.

I am a mechanic so saving the money is worth it. and im still under warrenty so they tell me. but with the quality of the bikes these days i wouldnt think i should need it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably already posted here, but after a few Crown and Cokes I'm too lazy to look. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA...NOTHING. :thumbup: :D

Have a nice day.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Got mine back yesterday. 600 (840) mile service. Had them install the frame sliders. They somehow managed to "stretch" my front brake line after I installed barbacks(cut the plasic bracket and modified a bit as it was VERY tight). Re-filled master cyl. after I lost a tablespoon or so!!! Re-postioned front brake lever to spec. $102-15% VIP = $88. Expensive? Kinda. Peace of mind that everything is OK=Worth it.
ps, the service writer has owned 54 bikes!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing for a very long time......cheaper & ,more reliable to do it yourself...they always leave something that needs fixing about 2 weeks after you hjave been there...call me cynical, but i am sure they loosen stuff, or leave stuff off...just so you have to come back and spend more of your hard earned!

:eek:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am due for my 600 mi service. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see how much they want or if I can maybe get them to do it for free. If they want too much, I will just do it myself.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I usually DIY but got lazy this time and had the dealer do the 600 mile check up, charge was $185. I'll probably do the rest of them as I already have a little over 1000 miles in two weeks so at 185 a pop that would be a little less then 800 bucks a year for service although I don't think it would be 185 every time.

Jerry

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
$0
I bought a bike 3 months old and it had already done the first service.
Plus I saved $3,000 on new bike price.
Never buy new, my motto.
Still have just under 2 years warranty as well.

I do everything myself except valve clearances

Fahren

Reaction score
Visit site
not sure if i qualify lol owning a 22year old fizzer...but it cost me £200 just to get a snapped exhaust bolt removed, i tried and failed cos it was in there for good...yammy dealer had to remove one front fork, heat the stud, snap it off and drill it..it took him 5 hours and he charges £35 per hour...plus he had already had a quick go at removing it b4 he said he would have to drill it out so that was another £35....rear tyre cost me £91 fitted and balanced...just ride in and the guys do the rest!!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, cost savings is not the only benefit from DIY routine stuff; it's knowing first hand that it's been done and done RIGHT. For example, if you brought it in to a shop for spark plug change---how would you really even know if the job had ever been done? Unless, one is willing to mark plugs, etc., there's just too much reliance on a shop worker's honesty/integrity ...in my opinion. Sure, you can ask for old parts, etc., but still. I'd rather do it myself. So far, 15 K miles and I've spend ZERO (but I don't want to sound as if I'm bragging).

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, cost savings is not the only benefit from DIY routine stuff; it's knowing first hand that it's been done and done RIGHT. For example, if you brought it in to a shop for spark plug change---how would you really even know if the job had ever been done? Unless, one is willing to mark plugs, etc., there's just too much reliance on a shop worker's honesty/integrity ...in my opinion. Sure, you can ask for old parts, etc., but still. I'd rather do it myself. So far, 15 K miles and I've spend ZERO (but I don't want to sound as if I'm bragging).

Exactly...this is with cars but same thing can happen anywhere.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJjqr0QbIk]YouTube - Jiffy Lube Scam - Pay for work never done[/ame]

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am due for my 600 mi service. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see how much they want or if I can maybe get them to do it for free. If they want too much, I will just do it myself.

just out of curiosity do you work for free?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is one thing that I will ask every shop to do, whenever I get something replaced, I always ask for them to save the scrapped part so that I can inspect it. No scrapped parts, no pay.

This way, I can see that at least something has been replaced, even if it's not from my own bike.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I probably answered the poll incorrectly. ("Under $250")
I carried my back wheel into the dealership and had them to install a new rear tire and balance it for me.
(Tire only had 840 miles on it but a sheet metal screw made a masive hole in the original)