How many miles on your clutch?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm just asking because mine just took a poop on me (FZ6R)... well almost. It started to slip when I gun it hard. I have 32K on my ride, maintenance always to spec and plenty of free play on the clutch too.

I understand that the 6R is built on the cheap side a bit but I tough the bottom end was all 03-05 R6? Maybe they installed softer springs for beginners? I have the PCV, exhaust and FZ6 Cams set up but that's only +10 to 12 ponies at the best.

I was just wondering how many miles you guys put on a clutch set? No one on the 6R has enough mileage or abuse it enough to give me some input.

I ordered a EBC race series clutch with Kevlar disc, steel plates and heavy duty springs. Hope it all fix it! :(

Thanks!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've personally never herd of anyone having to replace their clutch and I know Vegas has almost 80k if not more! I know the fz6 and r6 use the same plates and 90% of the same hardware but I just found out they redesigned he clutch for the 6r so they probably did cheep out on it or did like you were saying. But I'm almost positive you could get a fz or r6 clutch kit to work for the 6r

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A clutch should last the lifetime of any vehicle if you're are using in correctly... Clutches only burn out due to misuse...

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
A clutch should last the lifetime of any vehicle if your are using in correctly... Clutches only burn out due to misuse...

I think that depends on how long the life of vehicle is. After 168K miles on my Miata the clutch was starting to slip. And the clutch is designed to be the weakest link in the drivetrain.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
A clutch should last the lifetime of any vehicle if your are using in correctly... Clutches only burn out due to misuse...

Not entirely true. They can last the life of the vehicle but they are designed to be worn down not last forever. Plus they are designed for the vehicle in stock trim, you go adding power and changing gear ratios like marthy has done and it will reduce its life span. Although 32k and it's gone already, I wonder if maybe it wasn't faulty to begin with?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
23k miles here. still works as designed. Agreeing here if you protect the clutch by using it right it will last a very long time but also it is a wear item so eventually it will need replacing

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my Original cable at 70k miles with another OEM cable but I'm still on the original clutch plates at 82k.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm just asking because mine just took a poop on me (FZ6R)... well almost. It started to slip when I gun it hard. I have 32K on my ride, maintenance always to spec and plenty of free play on the clutch too.

I understand that the 6R is built on the cheap side a bit but I tough the bottom end was all 03-05 R6? Maybe they installed softer springs for beginners? I have the PCV, exhaust and FZ6 Cams set up but that's only +10 to 12 ponies at the best.

I was just wondering how many miles you guys put on a clutch set? No one on the 6R has enough mileage or abuse it enough to give me some input.

I ordered a EBC race series clutch with Kevlar disc, steel plates and heavy duty springs. Hope it all fix it! :(

Thanks!
Were you using Yama-Lube or car engine oil?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

How do you figure? 2 Cases:
1) vehicle travels coast to coast at freeway speeds. Clutch life >100,000 Is that the life of the vehicle? maybe not, maybe so. . .
2) vehicle crawls through traffic in stop and go every day using the clutch 100's of times per day to take-off and shift. Hint ~ Like my commute home some days. 25 miles of BS traffic.

Both are within the means of the vehicle intended use. You tell me which one is going to burn a up clutch first? Rather apparent isn't it and won't last a life time and its not abuse/misuse.

I disagree! >>Clutches only burn out due to misuse...

FWIW: when I take off the RPM's seldom if ever rise above 1500RPM and the clutch is fully engaged - meaning I don't slip it out over 100 feet at 3200RPM. But I guarantee you that stop and go traffic WILL END the life of my clutch sooner than the pure highway miles. Just sayin. . .

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you figure? 2 Cases:
1) vehicle travels coast to coast at freeway speeds. Clutch life >100,000 Is that the life of the vehicle? maybe not, maybe so. . .
2) vehicle crawls through traffic in stop and go every day using the clutch 100's of times per day to take-off and shift. Hint ~ Like my commute home some days. 25 miles of BS traffic.

Both are within the means of the vehicle intended use. You tell me which one is going to burn a up clutch first? Rather apparent isn't it and won't last a life time and its not abuse/misuse.

I disagree! >>Clutches only burn out due to misuse...

FWIW: when I take off the RPM's seldom if ever rise above 1500RPM and the clutch is fully engaged - meaning I don't slip it out over 100 feet at 3200RPM. But I guarantee you that stop and go traffic WILL END the life of my clutch sooner than the pure highway miles. Just sayin. . .

I have just shy of 200,000 km on my standard '07 Ford Ranger... Daily stop and go traffic on my trek to work... I am a contractor so I often carry a load as well... Still orginal clutch... I will be buying a new vehicle before the clutch goes... I have had standards (Trucks and bikes) since the late 70's still have yet to have a clutch issues... All about using it correctly... I stand by what I said... Use it corectly and you'll sell or scrap the vehicle before you lose a clutch...

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
23K on my FZ6 and the clutch shows no signs of wear. I take my bike to the drag strip occasionally and launch it very hard all the time.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I get what your saying but your also talking about a truck which I imagine is fairly stock, designed to carry a load, and i doubt gets raced or drove "spiritedly" like a fz would be. Im sure if you babied your bike, never raced it, left it with at least stock gearing, and always properly maintained it the clutch very well might last as long as the engine. Take into consideration that a stock fz6r puts down about 65hp to the wheel and his is making almost 80hp to the wheel (almost a 20% increase in power), he has lowered his final drive ratio, which also puts more strain on the clutch upon take off, and i think he has done quite a bit of 2up riding on a bike that apparently has a cheeper clutch than its predecessors so it would be inevitable that the weakest link in the driveline would give under those circumstances sooner than normal and considering marthy has worked on quite a few professional race teams as a mechanic I'm pretty sure he knows how to operate a clutch properly.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
I am coming up to 60000kms and mine is still fine
I do regularly adjust my cable though
Was thinking of getting a new one but reading this thread i reckon i will just wait til i am closer to 100k before worrying about it

What i really need to do is get that APE timing chain tensioner installed
The rattle noise is getting quite nasty

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 34K miles on my bike with plenty of traffic light GP's ;)

I've changed the cable once as it ran out of adjustment can't remember when but think it was at 24K