How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

• Less than 3001 miles

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 3001 - 6000 miles

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • 6001 - 9000 miles

Votes: 49 43.4%
  • 9001 - 12,000 miles

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 12,001 - 15,000 miles

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 15,000+ miles

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interestingly, my bike had a dunlop 2-something on the front and bridgestone 021 on the rear. I just had them replaced a couple days ago. A little over 6k. I went with bstone 021's. I like Bridgestone tires; they wear well and, for me/my riding style, are predictable.

I replace tires before they *need* to be replaced. I do a fairly long commute twice a week (~100 miles) so my center had a pretty good flat strip in it. Makes for funky handling on turn-in.

New rubber almost feels decadent.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had 1500 miles on my new bike and picked up a nail. Shop said softer tires attract the nails and screws like a magnet. Replaced it with a new tire and in 1500 more miles got a small thorn in my tire. It leaked so very slowly, had a heck of a time finding the leak. Nobody would break down the tire and patch it from the inside. Everyone wants to sell new tires because of liability issues. What i did was to put the bike on the center stand, and let the air of of rear tire, then with a small syringe I put rubber cement into the tiny hold and let it dry overnight. Aired it up the next day and have never had to put air in it again. Not sure this is the correct thing to do, but it sure did work. I'll change
the tire out when I feel like I got at least some of my money out of it.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
That's innovative...hadn't heard that one (using just cement) before. I would probably have plugged it? Softer tires attract nails,etc., like a magnet, huh?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to be honest when I say I do not know yet. My '05 had great tread left when I sold it with 6300 miles on it. Thus far, I have 4500 on the new '08 and not a lot of wear yet. :D

corvette

Reaction score
Visit site
my stock had about 200 miles, then a nail.
then i put a dunlop 616 and got 13,500 ish.
i just put on 2 michelin pilot road 2.
thay feel great. much better leaning

corvette

Reaction score
Visit site
i put 13,000 ish on my first set of tires. dunlop 616.
i got a nail in the original about 200 mile after i got the bike.
i just put on some pilot road 2. love them.:rockon:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Don't be cheap and ride a tire until cords unless of course your butt isn't worth much.

What? I thought those cords were the wear indicators. :D

I'll get serious now... I rode round trip to an event Thunder in the Sand from Ames [ approx. 350 miles] the other day and felt I had maybe a thousand miles left, tops, on my rear tire. However, looking at it I see the wear indicator flush with the tire at 8500 miles. Front tire is cupped bad, which is normal for these BT-020 tires, so this week I should have new tires on her.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i am sure the bike has the stock rear on it., (which i am changing this weekend hopfully) and i am at about 3800 miles.. these last 500 miles have gone quickly (they wore fast) i can get a pirelli mounted for a decent price and i havent run them yet so im gonna try it..

on a side note.. my honda 919 had the same size f/r and i got about the same mileage on those. i think it my style and mass i dont think i will ever get good wear

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
I got about 7k out of the front and 8.5k out of the rear (bridgestones). I left Orlando, FL thinking my rubber was fine for a cross country trip. I only made it to Jacksonville FL before noticing a shimmy in the front end when I took my hands off the bars. After checking the tire pressure I noticed that the front tire was kinda lumpy left of the center strip. I made it all the way to Tulsa before the wear indicators started showing on the rear.

The worst part of the whole thing was that in Jacksonville I had to find a shop open on Monday and in Tulsa I had to find a shop open after 4 on Saturday. If I had done it before I left I could have shoped around a bit. As it was I had to take whatever they had on hand for whatever they decided to charge me and I ended up with mis-matched tires. Lesson learned.

DRAEGER

Reaction score
Visit site
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2007 FZ6 (last year model bought 2 1/2 weeks ago, saved a bundle on it that way). I managed to get a small finish nail in my tire at 1725 miles... (sucks)

New tire comes in this Tuesday, stuck a walmart plug in the stock Dunlop and it is holding great, but its just so I still ride around town with the girlfriend (25mph or less).

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
How on Earth are people getting that many miles out of the stockers? :confused:
I'm around 3,300 and wear bars are really close. I was hoping to get almost double, looks like I have to go tire shopping soon.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got about 9,000km on the stock rear Dunlop and about 12,000km on the front, which is about the same as what I get on the Bridgestone BT-010s I have been using since.