How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

• Less than 3001 miles

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 3001 - 6000 miles

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • 6001 - 9000 miles

Votes: 49 43.4%
  • 9001 - 12,000 miles

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 12,001 - 15,000 miles

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 15,000+ miles

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
W

wrightme43

3000 miles out of the stock dunlops and a pilot Power. I have a right wrist problem (don't know not to use it) plus mostly mountain twisty riding. Rarely use the brake when riding a swift pace which means the tire is working just as hard on decelration as when under power. Flip side of low miles is tons of smiles, eh?

Just put a Pilot road on the rear with the Pilot power up front. The Road seems to stick just as well and should up my milage by a few thousand between changes.

Don't be cheap and ride a tire until cords unless of course your butt isn't worth much.

Yeah tonight I was out riding, I stopped off at a gas station when it started thunderstorming. I talked with a guy from Nashville who was heading the same way I was. Its pouring down rain.

His front tire was slick and showing cords.

We left out together and rode as far as I was going, him in the pouring rain on a slick. I have my avons that rock in the rain. Dude was a stunter though. WTF?

Rizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm ready at 8,500. I was planning to do it this week. Yesterday the rear tire went flat. Grabbed some air and made it 20 miles to a Wally World. Used one of those cheap cans of goop and air. It got me home. Lesson learned. Replace them before you need to and carry a tire kit.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's me who got over 13,000 miles on my tires. Still had tread on them too. I posted pics and wrote up a reveiw on the stock tires. Even measured how much tread I had left. My ride up is under the Tire Tech section under the tires and review thread.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My stock bridgstones had 10,000 miles when I changed them. It wasn't quite to the wear bars yet, but it had a HUGE strip down the center from constant highway riding which made it squirrelly in turns.
I'm in the same situation, got about 400 miles to go to get the big 10K, will be ordering some kind of dual-compound tires this week.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
6200 miles on the stock Dunlop 252, switched it to a Roadsmart and got 20 miles out of that..........................................then got cut off and crashed.:(

Crashing sucks, crashing after you just put a new tire on, sucks even more.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced both tires at 14,000 because the front tire had little or no tread,:spank: there was still mileage left in the rear tire but only 1 or 2k.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just replaced the front not too long ago with 11,500 miles on it. I usually get between 6000-9000 miles for the rear, depending on my riding of course. As a rule of thumb for me, I do two rears for every front unless either needs replaced sooner.

For those with over 9k on the rear...:tard: That right handle grip can twist!:rof:

P.S. No offense

:D:D:D

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still on stock rear tire, I only have about 3 miles ride to work.:( Maybe another year or two and I'll be ready for new ones unless tire rot kicks in first.:eek:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am at about 6300 miles so far and i am expecting 8000 and it should be sufficiently toast...

8000 miles and i was wrong... i am thinking i can get 9 at least, probably could get 10, but i have a track day and want to replace it before then.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought my FZ in mid May with 2400 miles. Took out the tire on the NJ Turnpike at 80 a week later. The new tire has 8600 but the center is worn. I'll be replacing it soon with a touring tire. (and yes. Thats 8600 miles in three months.)

BTW. If you think your AAA will help you, make sure you have the RV endorsement. I found out the hard way. I had to get towed off the highway for $100. Then another $125 to rent a U-haul.

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
I got less than 1000 kilometres so i guess thats around 600 miles. Still plenty of tread on it. Its just got a big slit in it from a knife. Some a-hole decided they would put my life at risk and put a gash in my tyre, they slit it right down to the base of the tyre and with the extra weight on the back on Toy Run Day with my wife she went pop. Always check for this and foreign objects. I do now.

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3700 miles on my Bridgestones that came on the bike, and the rear looks and handles really well. I'll be looking at the dual component tires, but truthfully, if I get near 10,000 miles on the bridgestones, I'll just get them again.

Pretty darn good tires.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5000 miles for my bike. Was changed when i bought it. Have presently done 5000 miles on my second tire - Michelin Pilot Road 2ct, with i reckon at least another 1000 miles left in it.

PLANEMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up a piece of metal at 2500 on Dunlop 252's. Changed to Michelin Pilot Powers front and rear. Extraordinary improvement on mountain roads.

usa35

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably a lot less now...

Just today, traffic rapidly stacked up in front of me. Managed to lock up the rear tire and left what seemed like at least a 150 foot slide. No flat spot, though. Do the stock fizzer tires flat-spot easily? Doesn't seem like it, but I also think I modulated just enough to rotate the tire a bit...

I remember glancing in my mirror as I was sliding, looking for cars about to hit me, and saw my nice greasy streak drawn out behind me. Since I was already sliding, decided to not get on the front brakes too hard... Was within a few feet of the soccer mom in front of me - saw her eyes light up, too, and she even gently veered towards the shoulder to give me a little room, just in case. Smart woman.

Only 1800 miles on the bike. 3000 on the tire now... ;-)