How many miles before you started modding?

How many miles did you put on your moto before modding it?

• 0-100 miles

Votes: 184 49.2%
  • 100-300 miles

Votes: 47 12.6%
  • 300-500 miles

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • 500-1000 miles

Votes: 36 9.6%
  • 1000+ miles

Votes: 89 23.8%

• Total voters

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a good question to everyone:

How many miles did you put on your moto, before starting to mod it from stock?

These are miles that YOU have put on it, so if you got your bike with 5000 miles on it (used) and have put on 30 miles, before adding a windscreen, then those are your 30 miles before modding. Not 5300 miles.

This does not include the tank / swingarm sticker removal.

Me personally was 1300 miles before adding BT-16 tires, puig racing screen, and a clear tank pad.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"A Clear tank pad"

That is about as much modding as sticker removal :Ø=)

I changed my seat for the lowered Yamaha seat, pretty damn quickly.

Steve

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I started adding and/or removing stuff at about 50 miles. Frame sliders were the first things that were added and the stock fender was the first thing to go, replaced by the FAZR FE kit. But the real stuff started after I had it for a year, about 1800 miles on it. That's when I got the scorpions, PSR levers...oh..just look at my sig, it's all there :rockon:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
0 Miles/Kms

I had my bike transported new to be stored at my parents house (they had a nice shed that it could be stored in). Then once I completed my MSF courses and I insured it, I installed my Motovation frame sliders before ever taking it out!

28,000Kms later and I'm still modding! Once you start, it never stops!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
In the first 100 miles I put on the Puig Double-Bubble and removed the factory stickers from the fame :D.

I did'nt do anything else until around 18,000 miles when I joined this forum. Now I have to keep one hand on my wallet because I want to do everything I see or hear about here :drool:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree, but doing it all at the same time, with my tires and puig screen, I decided to add it to the list, MR. nit-picker

Just looking at your wish list here and I see frame sliders in it. I am really surprised people wait this long to add them, especially after you read so many stories from other forum members who have laid down the bike on their first ride home from the dealer :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd owned the bike for a total of 1 hour and ordered up Motovation sliders. Then bewteen January and July ordered the Puig, then Akrapovics, then brakelines, then fork springs, Convertibars, had a top clamp made, dual head lights, Corbin, R6 forks, Ohlins, Power Commander, Rizoma FE kit, Rearset set backs, new hand grips etc, etc.

I guess I'm a mod addict...

Little slower pace on the new bike, Touring Pillion seat, solenoid removal, Lower footpegs, Wrist buster thing, seat retention pin conversion, Jardine exhaust and Power Commander. Eventually I think I'll install the CR top clamp and superbike or drag bars.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
about 45 miles before modding
The day I brought her home i went out and picked up frame sliders to protect her just in case I was a moron and dropped her. After that I have done BD43's headlight mod and replaced the stock brake lines With HEL lines and I plan on doing many many more like Jtarkany said i keep one hand on my wallet cause I want to do just about everything I see on here :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking at your wish list here and I see frame sliders in it. I am really surprised people wait this long to add them, especially after you read so many stories from other forum members who have laid down the bike on their first ride home from the dealer :eek:

You are correct, and this is my next mod. Only reason I hadn't was just like anything, when you plan to buy them, something has always came up. Only reason I got the screen first was a mistake. I just forgot about the sliders, I had planned on getting them first.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I test rode it brand new w/o mods, but that was it. I had new turnsignals waiting at home alrady, and I made my own FE. All before I even rode it around the block :D

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct, and this is my next mod. Only reason I hadn't was just like anything, when you plan to buy them, something has always came up. Only reason I got the screen first was a mistake. I just forgot about the sliders, I had planned on getting them first.

:thumbup:

The racing screen indeed was one of the best upgrades from stock. For me, the difference between the stock screen and PUIG was like night and day.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did Motovation sliders and Pazzo levers with less than 100 miles. Glad I did the sliders; they have saved me a lot of money already!

Does a grab-handle switcharoo count as a mod, because I did that at 50 miles? Probably not :spank:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode about 2000 miles without modding it. 1700 of that was getting the bike from home to where I'm stationed now.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
New FZ1 had zero miles and I put a tank camera mount as well as a tank protector on it. I put 58 miles on it that night and the next day while it rained, I destickered it. The rain fell most of the week and the following weekend, with 74 miles on the clock, I put on the Two Bros can and shaved the rear fender a lot!

With 388 miles on it, I modded the airbox and blocked the AIS.

Wasted no time in starting to make it my own. :D

wildman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd owned the bike for a total of 1 hour and ordered up Motovation sliders. Then bewteen January and July ordered the Puig, then Akrapovics, then brakelines, then fork springs, Convertibars, had a top clamp made, dual head lights, Corbin, R6 forks, Ohlins, Power Commander, Rizoma FE kit, Rearset set backs, new hand grips etc, etc.

I guess I'm a mod addict...

Little slower pace on the new bike, Touring Pillion seat, solenoid removal, Lower footpegs, Wrist buster thing, seat retention pin conversion, Jardine exhaust and Power Commander. Eventually I think I'll install the CR top clamp and superbike or drag bars.

Sounds like you have a little too much money sitting around! How about modding MY bike for fun? :thumbup:

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it from the dealership about three blocks to pick up a set of moto tie-downs for the handlebars. Once I made it back to Atlanta from Orlando I rode from downtown the rest of the way home and let my wife drive the truck and trailer back home. Maybe a total of 25 miles...had a chin fairing and a few other goodies for the inside waiting.