Have you replaced your clutch plates? How many miles?

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know these things aren't supposed to last forever, but I haven't seen much about clutches on these forums. If you have replaced your clutch parts, or even just deglazed them, I'd find it helpful to know how many miles in.

I'm getting a little clutch slippage sometimes on my 2004 with 38,000 miles. I'll try a different oil next oil change and measure the plates to see if they're out of spec. (Yamalube for the last two changes, standard Kawi oil for the two before that.)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch plates, no. 106k miles on the oem. Clutch cable, yes. Replaced at 70k miles, not because I had to, just because I wanted to.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check the cable before you go about tearing your clutch assembly apart. I've only ever heard complaints about the cable on the FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you decide to replace the clutch cable, I would stick with the OEM, I recalled that certain aftermarket cables were not quite the correct length, might have been too long. Can't remember, but you can't go wrong with the OEM.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you decide to replace the clutch cable, I would stick with the OEM, I recalled that certain aftermarket cables were not quite the correct length, might have been too long. Can't remember, but you can't go wrong with the OEM.
Second that. Had two misses with aftermarket clutch and speedo cables for my previous bike (Kawa) - either they were too long (the speedo cable) or not bent correctly (the clutch cable ~°90 bend at the clutch lever mounting point)

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, curious how much clutch slippage is normal and when it should be cause for concern.

It's mildly annoying to get on the gas and hear the engine spin up without a corresponding acceleration. I'm due for another oil change in a week or two, I guess I'll try a different brand of oil and see if it's different.

Has anyone had slipping with normal yamalube dino oil?

Regarding the cable: I lube it fairly regularly (every 4k mile interval), and I replaced it after I got the bike with a new OEM cable, but that was over 20k miles ago now.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is NO acceptable slippage that is normal.

As long as you don't have automotive oil (with certain additives) MC dino is fine...

Did you inspect or replace the clutch cable?

If not, your simply damaging your clutch plates further and WILL eventually have to change the cable with the plates...

CHECK BASICS FIRST...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is NO acceptable slippage that is normal.

As long as you don't have automotive oil (with certain additives) MC dino is fine...

Did you inspect or replace the clutch cable?

If not, your simply damaging your clutch plates further and WILL eventually have to change the cable with the plates...

CHECK BASICS FIRST...

Pay close attention to the advice on the oil. Automotive engine oil should NEVER be used in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Slippage is guaranteed. There are some diesel engine oils that work well in motorcycles such as Shell Rotella (non-synthetic). But if you want to use a synthetic oil in your bike, it will have to be a motorcycle specific oil.