How fast is too fast? (regarding police)

How fast can you go before you get a ticket?

• Stop speeding and you won't have to worry!!!!

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • 1-5 MPH over posted limit

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • 5-10 MPH over posted limit

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • 10-15 MPH over posted limit

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • 15-20 MPH over posted limit

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • 20+ MPH over posted limit

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Other??--Please explain

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I always go about 10 over except for the last week of the month i slow a little because all the cops are out trying to make their quota ahhaha. Its crazy how many cops will be on the same strech of freeway at the end of the month :).

Before i did my speedo correction it was reading 87 but i really going about 75mph. So are we talking real speed or jacked up motorcycle speedo speed hahaha

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The expressways to work are marked 55, but I get passed like I'm standing still at 75 and I'm barely keeping up with traffic.

I drove my cage to work and decided to stay with the flow of traffic, 80 - 85 was the norm. I decided these folks are crazy and moved over. Shoot, semis were doing 75 - 80!

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends what type of riding I'm doing. Commuting and around town I am going to be riding with traffic like a sensible human being.

Early Sunday morning in the twisties? Not going to post the max speed vs speed limits which are encountered.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the only actual speeding ticket (not counting all the other kinds!) I've gotten was for 52mph in a 25... so I'd say the line is somewhere shy of that. And no, I wasn't zipping through a neighborhood, it was a 4-lane highway that dropped right from 55 to 25 into town, and I wasn't fast enough on the middle pedal for Mr. Law.

I zipped past an NC state trooper on I-95 once doing ~80 in a 65, he gave me a friendly wave... not even the "slow down" wave. Then again, I've also been pulled over for 65 in a 55. I like to keep my moving violations nice and spaced out, so I always just get warnings now. :D (Actually, I've somehow not been pulled over for a moving violation in about 6 years, and haven't gotten a ticket in 8 or 9, through a combination of situational awareness and a ton of sheer good luck)

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally tend to stay 5-9 mph over. The only time I got a speeding ticket was in a school zone... :spank: And I was doing 14 over (34 in a 20).

In my defense it was my high school during lunch time and I was certainly not the only one going that fast. The school police officer pulled me over :(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was pulled over doing 23 over, 83 in a 60. Managed to dodge the ticket...

Hell I figured a five lane freeway had to be 70, right???

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1003&pictureid=6752

In 2010 Mark and I were on the NorCal/SoCal ride and got pulled over by CHP Officer Peterson for doing 70 in a 55 zone just outside of Borrego Springs. 70 mph was quite generous on Officer Peterson's part as I normally look at tach and not the speedo when out with the hoons, but he let us go with a warning to "slow it down a notch" and subsequently he has become an Honorary member of the forum for numerous reasons....:rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I would not suggest racing a 68 firebird,against a 73 camaro,and pass your girlfreind's brother in law at 140mph,who also just happens to be the town deputy..... we had to show him our cars and listen to him gripe about how he almost killed his police car trying to cross the hwy median turn around and come chase us... of course no ticket,but I did have to take Snot fishing so he would keep his mouth shut..... :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the times I was pulled over I was doing over 10+ MPH. I've passed cops on the highway doing 5 over while the guy in front of the cop was locked in on the actual speed limit and nothing happened.

In the area I'm at now if I go the speed limit I feel like a traffic cone because everyone speeds around me and it really bugs me. I do this when my wife is following or riding with me because I don't want to hear about it when we get to our destination or because she tends to get punchie (to the kidneys) when I'm going "to fast" for her.

If I'm in a group I keep up unless they are doing something crazy (doesn't happen often) or if they are better at taking corners than I am.

When I'm by myself I try to keep it no more than 10 depending on traffic, if I'm by myself I stay around 5-ish.

(my two cents)

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I know several policemen and have posed this question to them. They all have said 10mph will get you pulled over, and how you react is really the decider if you get a ticket or not. So be nice if you get pulled over, apologize to the officer and wish him a good day.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that a state trooper really didn't like me going 110 mph in a 55 awhile back. On the other hand one passed my nephew, (head on), when he was going 160 on his Ninja in a 55 mph. About twenty minutes later the state trooper pulled up to where they were all snacking and drinking sodas and said: "Nice bikes. They'll run won't they? I know they will - I have one. Just slow down and take it easy, okay?" (Cool dude)
Sometimes I think that some LEO's are savvy enough to know what these bikes today are capable of and they just appreciate it if you are anywhere close to the speed limit! JMO

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course, the story changes off the highway. 35 in a 25 is speeding. 20 in a 15 school zone is speeding.

Correction, 16 mph in a 15 mph is speeding, there is zero tolerance when it comes to school zones. Back in Vegas, they actually had School District Police enforcing school zones, and you were pressing your luck even at 1 or 2 over.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on where you are, time of the month, time of day, weather conditions, etc.

Example: in rush hour traffic volume a cop will probably not even give you a glance at 15mph over....try that at 2:15am on a Saturday morning and you are 100% getting pulled over.

Personally I have never been pulled over for less than 10 over but I rarely go over 7 over unless conditions are perfect.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on . . . time of the month

I have yet to be pulled over, but I'll keep that excuse in mind. :D

Uh, back on topic.

But yeah, sometimes there are way more police out than usual. I've never noticed which time of month it is, but hubby suspects they have ticket quotas to fill. I believe the RCMP aren't allowed to operate at a deficit, or at least it used to be that way, so it could be that they use traffic fines to make ends meet.

D

Dave.TX

The lady I stopped the other day, I said to her, "Now all those people you passed in the last 10 minutes have passed you and are well on their way. All that time you were making is now lost."

It's my discretion if I want to make a stop or not.

When I'm riding/driving my personal vehicles I always do the speed limit through the smaller towns, never over. Out in the wide open spaces I do the limit or no more than 5 over unless the flow of traffic has us going faster. I let others run the lead and hope they're the ones that get caught. Kinda like Smoke and the Bandit stuff. There's always an idiot that will block for the rest of us.

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
Driving for 36 years and no tickets; not that I haven't deserved some. My rule is up to nine over on higher speed roads and no more than five on lower speed roads. I'll go with traffic on any road to stay safe and maintain a safe position in traffic.

Came back from Ontario with two cop buddies a couple of years ago and they kept ragging me to speed up. Said ten over was fine, eleven was when they got interested. I wasn't interested in a ticket in Canada or Minnesota, so I did my speed and let them bitch.

More important to me than fun is safe fun, so I'll ride at whatever speed I can still process my environment completely. On some roads around here, and at times of the day or seasons when deer are more active, that will mean going slower than posted speed. I want the shiny side up at all times and no skid marks in my drawers.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
On a 30mph road on the way to campus I blasted through 1st into 2nd and then coasted to the turn I needed to make about a 1/8 mile from the last turn. last I saw I was at 80 and still accelerating, I started coasting and then looked to my left to see a cop parked on a sidestreet. I don't know why I didn't get pulled over but I'm very glad I didn't. I have a problem about wanting to go fast