How do you start on a hill?

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a complete noob to motorcycles. I literally rode a motorcycle for my first time a couple of weeks ago and it was on my brand new 2008 FZ6. I talked a lot to my friends and watched a lot of videos before doing and I now have 200 miles on the bike between city roads and about 30 highway miles. I am gradually feeling more comfortable on the bike.

Anyway, I still have trouble on hills sometimes. I have been trying the technique of covering the rear brake with my right foot, letting the clutch out and giving it a little throttle until the engine catches, then lift my foot off the brake and once i get going bring my left leg up on the peg. Is this the technique I should be trying to perfect? I'm taking the MSF course next weekend so they will most likely teach me there.. I'm just interested now though.

:Sport:

Rocky,
Sounds like you've figured it out. I haven't taken the MSF course, but I don't think they'll have a better way to start on a hill. I't would be much more difficult to cover the front brake while increasing the throttle, and I don't think the Fred Flinstone foot thing will get you going up the hill either.

Rocky,
Sounds like you've figured it out. I haven't taken the MSF course, but I don't think they'll have a better way to start on a hill. I't would be much more difficult to cover the front brake while increasing the throttle, and I don't think the Fred Flinstone foot thing will get you going up the hill either.
How about turning the bike around and going down hill? Seriously you sound like you have cracked it. Just make sure that your idle speed is set to the right rpm 1250RPM. It makes starting off so much easier. Good luck on the MSF.

Nelly

When I was in my bike school, instructor advise me to learn to use the throttle and the front break at the same time. If you get this, it will be much easier to start.

i do what you do except a little differently. i cover the back brake but at the same time let out the clutch to where it pulls then give it gas. but also at the same time you have to let off the brake or it will stall

i do what you do except a little differently. i cover the back brake but at the same time let out the clutch to where it pulls then give it gas. but also at the same time you have to let off the brake or it will stall
That is good advise mate, and also what I do.

Yep, same here. I usually keep my foot on the rear brake and let the clutch go until it engages and then give some gas while letting off the rear brake.
Dani

When I was in my bike school, instructor advise me to learn to use the throttle and the front break at the same time. If you get this, it will be much easier to start.

That's what I do too. I start out with both feet on the ground, right hand covering the front brake, and then I apply throttle while simultaneously releasing the front brake to get moving. I don't feel comfortable having only one foot on the ground on a sloping hill.

I do what Serraph does. After embarssing my self a few times, I went to a hill with little traffic and did the hill start again and again. I think it is good to learn how to operate the front brake and throttle at the same time, because you will use it from time to time

How about turning the bike around and going down hill? Seriously you sound like you have cracked it. Just make sure that your idle speed is set to the right rpm 1250RPM. It makes starting off so much easier. Good luck on the MSF.

Nelly
Do you mean that I turn the throttle to 1250 before releasing the clutch? If not, isn't idle speed controlled by the computer?

One needs to co-ordinate the rear brake, clutch ( remember the friction point), and throttle... while in the ready position, applying the rear brake find the friction point just before you want to move off, give a little gas while letting up on the rear brake and slowly letting out clutch the rest of the way out...

Slipping the clutch on a motorcycle with a wet clutch (like the FZ) is no big deal - FYI.

This is the method I use and it works awesome for me but I do know folks that do have trouble with it.

I used to drive a stick car, so I have a decent feel for the clutch I guess. In a car you roll back for a second then get going. If I encountered a really really steep hill then I would use the back brake, I suppose. However, I basically start letting out the clutch and front brake at the same time and get on the gas as soon as I am off the brake. So I roll back between 1-6 inches and then I am stopped in place and then moving forward when I am ready. As soon as I am moving forward I pick up my feet. Surely other people do this? I prefer to have both feet on the ground so if/when rolling backwards I can catch myself if I lose my balance. However, when I am stopped at the stoplight I usually use the back brake to stand still (on one leg) so my hands can rest. Sounds like this is the opposite of everyone else.... oh well. Works for me :thumbup:

I use the front brake method too. Practice it on flat ground first then move to gradual inclines and work up to steeper inclines until you're totally comfortable.

Even with much practice, I still have a rare mistake and stall the bike, typically at the beginning of the riding season. :D

I like to have both feet on the ground so I use the front brake to keep me in my place then let the clutch out till I reach the friction zone. When it's my turn to go release the brake let out the clutch give it a little gas and away you go. Find a parking lot with a hill and practice to find a method that works for you.

Back