How do you guys do it?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to make a big fuss about the weather to much being that i live in Florida, BUT, it's been in the 30-45, but with the wind chill it's even colder. I put on the leathers and use a scarf, along with my street/track boots and i don't feel a thing. For everyone else i give you :thumbup: . Stay warm and be safe.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Grip heaters are a WONDERFUL mod. Just installed a pair. I wish I had got them sooner!

I've found the best underclothes to beat the cold are the green Mil-Spec "long-johns" Those keep me really warm AND dry. I think they're synthetic and wick away moisture from your skin. Can't remember what I paid for em, but they were reasonable.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride all winter, in temp's as low as 0 degrees C.

I have won my battle against the cold.....heated grips, hand guards, screen, thermal suit, glove inners, wind & water proof gloves, double linered (wind & waterproof liner & quilted liner)textile pants, and jacket, neckaclava, thermal socks, full boots.

Movement is restricted slightly, and i feel like the goodyear blimp, but i dont get cold, or wet.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride in similar conditions to Wolfman and all year round also. I have only a 30-40minute commute but I work Afternoon shift so coming home at midnight can get a little chilly. I use Dryrider Nordic Pro pants and have not had any trouble with cold legs. An Ixon xeres jacket that, together with the pants have kept me bone dry. I wear dryrider gloves.....my old ones are reasonably waterproof if I keep the dubbin up to them...my new ones haven't been broken in like the old ones after 12 years of use...lol...but are waterproof and have the wiper blade on them (It doesn't work...lol...back of my thumb works better). On my feet I wear steel capped work boots that cover the ankle well and have a stainless steel plate through the sole. Unfortunately after 12 years these do take on some water now...lol. Lastly a balaclava under my helmet to keep my noggin and neck warm.
I have ridden 550km in this outfit from 2AM-ish 'til 9AM-ish and got rained on very heavily at the start of the trip. I was definitely cold when I got down into South East South Oz but made the trip OK. Had damp fingers and was sloshing in one boot when I arrived at my destination. The whole ride was at sub zero c temps:eek:.

I have never gotten cold on my commute...especially if I shower at work....if I shower at work and then suit up I'm usually 5 minutes from home before I stop feeling uncomfortably warm.:thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding to work isn't an issue, that's only a mile away. I have to idle it in the parking lot for a while so it gets to operating temperature before I have to turn it off again.

I should get a few of those heat packs and stick them in my gloves and boots for the long rides. :D

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding to work isn't an issue, that's only a mile away. I have to idle it in the parking lot for a while so it gets to operating temperature before I have to turn it off again.

I should get a few of those heat packs and stick them in my gloves and boots for the long rides. :D

Lol I'll let you know how that works. I bought 2 pair. Gonna shove some in my gloves and the others in my ankles.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the alpinestars ridge boots and my feet never get cold even with a single pair of tube socks on. Perhaps you should try these?!? :D

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Heated grips + Powermadd guards SOLVE the grip issue. I wear relatively light deerskin/leather gloves and they work GREAT!

Heated vests/jackets are fantastic, but the FZ6 won't support them easily (especially if you have the dual headlight mod and heated grips already - that brings you close to the limit). I'm very interested in getting a battery-operated vest (webbikeworld reviewed an awesome Australian one a few years ago, but it costs $300!!)

If you use heat packs, place them low - apparently near your kidneys is best since placement near the heart has been known to cause CARDIAC ARREST!?!? (consult a doctor on that one)

If you have rain gear, wear it in extreme cold. It'll block some of the wind. I haven't done this, but I hear it makes a big difference.

Buy boots that allow you to move your toes easily. Movement is key to keep the blood flowing. Avoid stuffing so many socks on that your feet feel tight. Waterproof/tall boots are better at keeping out the cold too (not to mention safer).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was growing up in Colorado all I had was my motorcycle for my first four years at college, my fifth and final year I finally got a car. Any how I wore every bit of clothing I owned. The best article was a pair of wool Swiss Army pants. They had a plastic wind liner in the front of the pant leg, sandwiched between two layers of wool. They also had a nice nylon lining. I think I paid about $20.00 for these at a surplus shop. I don't recall what I wore on my feet, probably my Alpine Stars with the silver ski sock liners and a pair of wool ski socks.

If I remember right I wore a tee shirt, a turtle neck, a thermal top, my leather jacket and my ski jacket over that. I think if I crashed I'd bounce!

I remember being so damn cold I put my hand on the head of my motor as I was riding to keep warm.

Once I was riding about 75 miles from my parents house back to school and it began to snow. Huge, fat flakes. About 15 minutes later 4 inches of snow had fallen! I was frozen! Good times, glad I live in Texas now.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of Gerbing electric's (gloves, jacket, socks) that I wear under my Aerostich 1 piece. This comes to 130 watts. I've ridden to work (65 miles) as cold as 16 deg F. When its this cold I wear sweat pants under my jeans though. I haven't ridden this cold on the FZ though. I'm having a hard time finding out how many watts the electrical system can handle. I did two 9 hour days a few weeks ago on the Harley and it never went above 40 deg.

I also have a pair of battery gloves that are good to around 40. I bought them in a hunting/sporting goods store.They're good for about 2 hours on a charge on high.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding at the weekend and it was 24 degrees, thats -4 to me but it was lovely and sunny with no wind.

I was wearing an all in 0ne winter suit. I know it is not safety gear but it is the best thing to wear to keep warm. I wear very thin woolen gloves under my riding gauntlets which help to keep the cold off for abut an hours riding but then the tips of my fingers start getting cold.

My feet don`t get cold as I have fleece lined riding boots. There is no way I will get cold in my all in one suit. In fact it is a bit like boil in the bag.

Steve

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The key is to dress in layers. Dressing in layers just means the wind has a harder time reaching your skin and your body heat has a harder time escaping. Putting on raingear (or other less breathable materials) will trap the heat in but you have to be careful because this can cause too much sweating and dehydration. The places for extra attention are the "seams", your wrists, ankles, neck, and waist. The best way to prevent air getting inside there is to create overlapping layers. For example for maximum wrist protection you would have a light shirt pulled over your wrists, then put your gloves on then pull a thicker shirt over your glove cuffs and finally place your jacket on and tighten the cuffs to minimize air flow.

If you are getting cold then either you dont have enough layers or air is finding a way in. This morning it was about 30 degrees out and I just had on dresspants, overpants w/ rain liner, dress shirt, fleeze jacket, mesh jacket w/ rain liner, and winter riding gloves. I just need to add a scarf etc because air was finding its way down onto my chest and I think I will be fine. My commute is 30 mins at 75mph

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did 40 miles into work this morning when it was 17F out, just bundle up, turn the heated grip[s on high and know you are going to get cold, surprising thing is that i wasn't all that cold until it got to about the 35 mile mark, then my knees got cold and so did my toes.

I still love riding though!

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Typical crazy Wisconsinite... 28f, 60-70mph, gloves, helmet, hoodie, and jeans... I love when it gets cold. All the poser riders are off the road. Plus my riding season would be super short if I only rode when it was "nice" out.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My friends laughed when they saw me wiping the frost off my seat this morning. I laughed and pointed when I rode by them scraping their windshields. :D

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Was about 3C today and fine on the way in wearing leather trousers, t shirt, jumper and a textile Heine Gerike jacket with lining. Plus winter gloves with heated grips. Commute's 30 miles. But.........

Left heated grips on by accident all day so I got very warm jump starting the bike with a flat battery on way home:(

Reaction score
Visit site
We don't get that kind of cold out here on the left coast -- yeah, I know \"go away.\" When it gets \"cold\" here I will wear a balaclava, some insulated gloves and layers underneath my jacket and pants. I can't imagine the temp you're riding in.

I remember a lot of the vfr guys I used to ride with raved about widder electric stuff. And the good folks at aerostich sell some electric stuff, too.

What it requires is installing one of those little electrical socket thingies on your bike to plug the gear into. But the heated stuff is supposed to be pretty frickin' sweet, at least for your torso. Not so sure if they make heated socks...

Ride on!

huh berkeley???

thats what my ex named her kid bc she liked the town haha

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
how do you keep your faceshield from frosting over at that temp? I can't seem to go below 22 F

I don't know how he does it, but I have a Fog Evader breath deflector face mask. If you put it on properly, fogging is gone. I where glasses so if I don't put it on properly, then sometimes one side of my glasses will fog. It requires a little clearance between your nose/mouth and the front of your helmet. I have a flip face and it works fine.

Fog eVader Breath Deflector Mask, anti-fog face mask