How do you get the fuel pump out?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I turned the tank upside down, removed the 6 allen screws, removed the collar, pulled the pump gently upwards.... oops, something is catching! I've tried rotating and tilting it to no avail.

Any tips?

2004 FZ6.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I turned the tank upside down, removed the 6 allen screws, removed the collar, pulled the pump gently upwards.... oops, something is catching! I've tried rotating and tilting it to no avail.

Any tips?

2004 FZ6.

there is small white block mounted on the side of the pump, about half way down the side, this is what catches..all you need to do is reach inside the tank, and unclip this from the side of the pump....it wont drop in too far as it is connected via 2 wires as well.

Once this is removed, the pump will come out, followed by the white block....

getting it back in is easy, re-connect the block before re-inserting pump into the tank, and drop it in, the white block does not get in the way when putting fuel pump back into the tank.

hope that makes sense.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I have tried this... I can see what is catching but does this just pry off or is there a clip holding it? I obviously don't want to break it!

there is a small vertical clip that you push in, and the bracket then just slides off...you shouldnt have any concerns with breaking it.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, guess I'm too stupid for this. Got any pics?

it just so happens that i do, as i just recently did this....hope this helps? the box that slips off is circled, you just unclip it, and let it dangle by the wires, it then comes out, re-atach it before putting it back in, for some reason it does not catch on the way back in...is definitely a fiddly job.

View attachment 17739

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That did the trick, what a bloody mission! Thanks!

dont worry, it was a mission for me, first time as well, have done it about 6 times now...have got the procedure well sorted now....still reckon that you need hands of a 6 year old to get into some of this stuff, and work on it!

:eek:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys!.. I got the pump out and there was sand in the tank! It came with no gas cap so that must be how it got in there.. I vacumed it out and now im good to go..

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
it just so happens that i do, as i just recently did this....hope this helps? the box that slips off is circled, you just unclip it, and let it dangle by the wires, it then comes out, re-atach it before putting it back in, for some reason it does not catch on the way back in...is definitely a fiddly job.

View attachment 17739

<hijack>

Wolfman,

Have you figured out where the fuel filter is? Is it part of the fuel pump assembly?

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my pump out today, thanks to wolfman.

To help indicate exactly the location of the tab here's a closeup of it and how to release it;
DSCF1345-2.jpg

That's what you're looking at when you pull the pump up out of the opening. A flat blade screwdriver will push that tab back and the plastic clip will fall down as you pull up on the pump assembly.

Or, you can just follow the instructions in the service manual;
REMOVING THE FUEL PUMP
1. Remove:
• Fuel pump

Real helpful that. :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<hijack>

Wolfman,

Have you figured out where the fuel filter is? Is it part of the fuel pump assembly?

The fuel filter is part of the pump. Its a fine metal screen thats not replaceable. Once the pump is out, if there's crap on/around it, you can usually blow it out with some compressed air.

Scott

ice

Reaction score
Visit site

View attachment 17739

I`m gona ask a stupid question :confused:

Why do the wires not make the gas tank explode?.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel filter is actually a plastic screen/bag that is permanently attached to the bottom of the pump. It can be cleaned but NOT replaced.

Attached pictures of the filter:
10704d1228089908-wont-run-filter_1.jpg

10706d1228089908-wont-run-filter_3.jpg

10707d1228089908-wont-run-filter_4.jpg

2000ktm

Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman thanks for the help, I also took my assembly apart and cleaned the sock while I had the fuel pump out