How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i go which ever side is free really but thinking bout it now i spose i go for left most times ... must be habit .
I also sit on bike n fill the tank ... ( usually with petrol as there are usually toilets in the area if necessary :D)... used to try getting of bike n side stand it but that just doesnt work out level so just sit n fill

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally fill up while on the bike, never really cared which side the pump was on.

As far as the no self serve states go, having lived in Oregon most of my life it never really bothered me. That said fuel attendant was my first job and I was always verrrrry careful with every customers car, no matter if was a pile or a nice car. OTOH I have had some pretty inattentive fuel attendants scratch and dump fuel on the side of my passat, and one retard that thought 89 was premium fuel (funny thing is he was only there for a week, must have been too hard for his meth addled brain to pump fuel.) At least in OR motorcyclists are allowed to fill their own tanks.

The reason you get the riot act from trying to do it yourself in an auto is that the station can be slapped with a $10k fine (they will fire you over it) and the attendant can receive up to a $5k fine which is even worse when you just lost your job. Honestly with those kind of fines in place the stock argument about job creation seems to kind of fade away. All together though its a decent job I was getting payed between $10/hr and $15/hr from 2005-2007 (age 18-20) and it beat the hell out of flipping burgers.

I can't imagine how people start fires at the pump, it's pretty easy to ground yourself to get rid of any static sparks (the girl in that video could have saved herself alot of trouble by touching the metal on the pump or not moving her arms so much in what looks to be a wool sweater). When I was a little younger (read still in my retarded days) I used to put cigarettes out in a small can of gasoline, never once had it catch fire (did it to freak people out) embers have a very hard time igniting gasoline fumes, open flame or sparks however will do it in a heartbeat.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
This...

The reason you get the riot act from trying to do it yourself in an auto is that the station can be slapped with a $10k fine (they will fire you over it) and the attendant can receive up to a $5k fine which is even worse when you just lost your job.

...is the most retarded thing I've read all year. SERIOUSLY? That has got to be biggest the load of sheeit any law has ever produced. 10k to the station, fire an employee making $10-15 an hour, THEN rob him for 5 grand???! While you're at it, why don't you kick the kid in the balls?

How is this retributive justice for pumping gas yourself? And what the F does the guy who pumped the gas himself get, you know... the person who actually committed the "crime?" I'll tell you what he gets... one full tank of unprofessionally pumped gasoline. That'll teach 'em!

I'm moving to the moon. Once the race track is built, you're all welcome to join.

Last edited:

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm right handed and fill from the left - oddly enough I always pull up so that the pump is on my right - I suspect because my cars all have the door on that side, so it's become a real habit.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine how people start fires at the pump, it's pretty easy to ground yourself to get rid of any static sparks (the girl in that video could have saved herself alot of trouble by touching the metal on the pump or not moving her arms so much in what looks to be a wool sweater).

What the F#%*¥£!?!? How have I never heard of this? I really like wool sweaters! (In our semi-winter here.) And I always thought non-self-pump gas was complete BS. I didn't know you had to dress for the occasion of pumping gas? One more bit of knowledge I have to thank this forum for. I'm glad that girl in the video didn't get burned or anything. I was worried watching it...

This...

...is the most retarded thing I've read all year. SERIOUSLY? That has got to be biggest the load of sheeit any law has ever produced. 10k to the station, fire an employee making $10-15 an hour, THEN rob him for 5 grand???!

That type of plan might be a lot better (or more equitably) served by an annual or quarterly bonus escrow account that he loses if he fails at stopping self-servers. And/or a severance or retirement package that is reduced or vaporized if he's (or she is) demonstrated to let gassers gas themselves.

While you're at it, why don't you kick the kid in the balls?

I agree with this sentiment. Jeopardizing the livelihood of a class of worker to ensure the safety of the general populace is a very poorly thought through means to an end. And that's polite wording.

How is this retributive justice for pumping gas yourself? And what the F does the guy who pumped the gas himself get, you know... the person who actually committed the "crime?" I'll tell you what he gets... one full tank of unprofessionally pumped gasoline. That'll teach 'em!

Exactly. I think this problem would be better solved with technology. Perhaps a hand sized grounding button that must be pressed for 2 seconds before the pump is pulled or placed back. It's not fool-proof, which is the goal, but since the pumper is the most likely burn victim, a sign, for non-YouTube addicts like me, plus the 2-second grounding button probably would stop 90% of fires. I really had no idea of this issue.

We have a law here that says that we can't use a cell phone at a gas station. There are signs on all the pumps. It is widely ridiculed. Do cell phones start fires, or cause explosions? After learning about the wool sweater fire, I'm concerned...

Jersey is weird.

Don't get me wrong. Jersey is still weird.

I'm moving to the moon. Once the race track is built, you're all welcome to join.

I'm gonna go start working on that track. See you there.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you guys are talking about stands! I never put a stand down at all.
I guess I should explain that in NJ, we are not allowed to operate pumps on our own. The attendant will run your card for you and select the grade and will then hand you the nozzle (if you're in a car, you can't touch the nozzle either.. it's strictly full service).
So.. no sense for me to get off the bike and makes very little difference what side the pump is on since my bike isn't leaning to one side when I fill up.

Are you allowed to operate the flush handle after use? Or, does the attendant have to do that, also?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
We have a law here that says that we can't use a cell phone at a gas station. There are signs on all the pumps. It is widely ridiculed. Do cell phones start fires, or cause explosions? After learning about the wool sweater fire, I'm concerned...

Mythbusters busted the cellphone thing.

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
Around here, we consider full service gas stations antiquated. I only know of one in the Metro Grand Rapids area, and it's a small mom & pop service station that still does everything a full service gas station used to do (check the oil, wash your windows, pump gas, fix cars, etc.)

A question for those in states where full-service is mandatory: are gas stations open 24/7 or could you possibly get stuck out of gas overnight? What about filling a gas can to bring home for your gas powered tools (lawn mower, weed whacker, power washer, etc)?

As far as the thread question goes, I'm not sure yet how I'll fill up. Just bought a new to me bike two weeks ago, and I haven't ridden enough to use up the gas the previous owner put in. (I have been delaying the riding until I take my MSF class...classroom portion starts tonight!)

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I rarely fill up....that's the hubby's job (pre-nup - car & bike). He hasn't done any laundry in almost 25 years.

But when I ride w/o him, I use my right hand (even though I'm left handed) and from either side - usually right.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
A question for those in states where full-service is mandatory: are gas stations open 24/7 or could you possibly get stuck out of gas overnight? What about filling a gas can to bring home for your gas powered tools (lawn mower, weed whacker, power washer, etc)?

Not sure about the 24/7 part or gas powered tools, but when we were riding in Oregon (full-service mandatory) last summer, the transfer technician would just hand my hubby the gas nozzle and hang out and talk with us. The first one we came across said that he wouldn't want anyone putting gas in his bike, so he gives bikers the option. So, we just took the option for the rest of our fill-ups in Oregon.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Way to resurrect an old thread Monica :rockon:

Incidentally, apart from the no self service here it is also now prohibited to sit on the bike while the attendant fills it.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm filled up on too much holiday goodies

my FZ6 is moving along like Santa's sled with broke reindeer and an overload of lump's 'o coal holding it back :(

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in our full service country I would say more than 95% of stations are 24/7 and getting a 5 litre can filled to take home is no problem.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Way to resurrect an old thread Monica :rockon:

Incidentally, apart from the no self service here it is also now prohibited to sit on the bike while the attendant fills it.

Thanks! heehee

In Nevada, you can't take off you helmet now while filling up. I don't get why, but it is the law.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! heehee

In Nevada, you can't take off you helmet now while filling up. I don't get why, but it is the law.

Get out of here. Please. I don't believe it. Some scooter riders don't even have to wear a helmet. How do they gas up? Are your sure? Even CALIFORNIA doesn't require riders to keep helmet on when gas filling. California: where Prop 65 stickers are everywhere (ridiculous law).

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I fill up on the bike. Pull up close enough w pump on left. Kickstand down and gloves off. Swipe card fill up and roll out.