How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
I always fill from the left side if possible, right side just feels wrong, otherwise I'll sit on my bike and then fill up.

But I always thought that the assistant that fills up for you, was because some politicians watch too many Youtube videos :rolleyes:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufcQd1qoDAs"]Gas Station fire - Youtube[/ame]

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill up on the bike, or with the bike on the center-stand. I don't take my helmet off, and I'll take whatever pump is open/available at the time. Where I am, the majority of the pumps are pre-paid, so it really cuts down on drive offs...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In South Australia, the service station cashier will not activate the pump for you until you are off the bike, and have removed your helmet...unless the cashier knows you well, then they let you fill tank without getting off, etc...

The main reasons for this is that filling the tank whilst on the bike is considered dangerous, and because of "drive/ride off's", which is a bit of a problem apparently.

Not that our water cooled beasts get this hot, but it makes sense to be off the bike in-case she bursts into flames from spills too. Should a fire occur while straddled and no kickstand, the flaming bike goes over as you jump and MORE fuel is added to the fire. . . :thumbdown:

Again, not likely on these bikes but a hot air cooled engine could scare some as the smoke rises.

I dismount and fill on the side stand side.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oregon - they tend the transaction and fill autos. They will hand you the nozzle most often for bikes tho.

A recent law change (early 2010??) says you can not top off Motor Vehicles. Once the pump stops, its done filling. Stations caught topping off can have their trade license revoked. (Don't quote me on that, just what they tell us)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Always safest to stay mounted on your bike with legs extended on both sides when filling. Should a 7.5+ earthquake (with epicenter closer than 15 miles with depth of less than 10 miles) hit there is a risk of bike falling over, spilling gasoline all over the place and possibly ignition from the clown burning in front of you a cigarette and, in shock, letting it fall out of mouth. There is probably more risk of this happening (earthquake) than risk of gasoline exploding while doing a a fill up (joke?)

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will always dismount my motorcycle to fill up. Why? Gives me a reason to do a visual check on my motorcycle, especially the tires. Take advantage of the stops, it might just pay off and save your life one day.

About the no self serve in Oregon and New Jersey, as someone mentioned, it creates jobs. But it is kind of strange that you get the riot act when you try to pump you own fuel when you are in these two states, but when it comes to motorcycles, they hand you the nozzle. Why?

And the video of that women pumping her fuel, and the nozzle catching fire. What an idiot! First thing she should have done was hit the cut off switch once she pulled the nozzle out of the tank.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys/gals. This all spawned from a conversation regarding left (correct:D) hand drive vs right (wrong:D) hand drive cars while watching TopGear on BBC. I'm glad you all seemed to have fun with it!

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys/gals. This all spawned from a conversation regarding left (correct:D) hand drive vs right (wrong:D) hand drive cars while watching TopGear on BBC. I'm glad you all seemed to have fun with it!

Left is correct? Bahaha. So when you're fat arming it with your left (and generally non dominant hand) you think 'this is the best way they could've set up a vehicle.' gotta wind down your window with your LEFT hand. Yanks!

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Left is correct? Bahaha. So when you're fat arming it with your left (and generally non dominant hand) you think 'this is the best way they could've set up a vehicle.' gotta wind down your window with your LEFT hand. Yanks!

Yup left is correct. That puts your dominate hand right on the shifter, where it can do the most good. Leave all the thoughtless tasks to the left. I'd rater fumble for a window control or door lock than mess up a quick shift cause its in the wrong hand :BLAA:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup left is correct. That puts your dominate hand right on the shifter, where it can do the most good. Leave all the thoughtless tasks to the left. I'd rater fumble for a window control or door lock than mess up a quick shift cause its in the wrong hand :BLAA:

Thoughtless tasks like feeling you wheel around a corner while dropping down a gear? Maybe it's just me, and I turn corners not drag, but I find steering to require more active input than shifting. Nonetheless, in reasonably sure we're hijacking.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Always safest to stay mounted on your bike with legs extended on both sides when filling. Should a 7.5+ earthquake (with epicenter closer than 15 miles with depth of less than 10 miles) hit there is a risk of bike falling over, spilling gasoline all over the place and possibly ignition from the clown burning in front of you a cigarette and, in shock, letting it fall out of mouth. There is probably more risk of this happening (earthquake) than risk of gasoline exploding while doing a a fill up (joke?)

Funny this is that if I straddle the bike with both legs extended, I've gotta pick which one I want to be flat footed. Mostly torso :)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
It's like riding a horse: You rarely see someone mount up from the right side.
(Maybe that's in the owner's manual somewhere??? ; )

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stand about 4 feet away from the tank and try to arc it in. Yeah, it costs me quite a bit more than it should to fill up a tank, but that's a small price to pay for style and a bit of class.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I stand about 4 feet away from the tank and try to arc it in. Yeah, it costs me quite a bit more than it should to fill up a tank, but that's a small price to pay for style and a bit of class.

Hey, no scratches!! A wee bit messy, but no scratches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd really hate to be your doctor at annual physical time.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Only four feet away? Come on lone. Now I, what I do is insert the nozzle in tank, engage the auto shut-off feature with gasoline flowing in at the highest possible rate, stand back a few feet, light and smoke a cigarette and B.S. with any other bikers if they're doing it too.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
pump side doesnt matter, whatever is open. i prefer the pump on the left side even though im right handed. thats the side my wallet is on, and its closer to the card swiper!

i also sit on the bike to fill up. just dont day dream and youll be fine!