How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

Vertigo

Reaction score
Visit site
Left/Left for me. Never thought about it until now, but I guess I'm just following the habit of most cars I've owned had the gas cap on the left side.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Need to put #5 - the lazy way.

I like to pull up with the pump on my right. I don't get off the bike or take off my helmet, put the gas in and go. I know probably not the most orthodox way to do it. I saw some dude on a supersport do it once and thought I would try it. Works pretty well for me albeit not the safest way by any stretch of imagination

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you guys are talking about stands! I never put a stand down at all.
I guess I should explain that in NJ, we are not allowed to operate pumps on our own. The attendant will run your card for you and select the grade and will then hand you the nozzle (if you're in a car, you can't touch the nozzle either.. it's strictly full service).
So.. no sense for me to get off the bike and makes very little difference what side the pump is on since my bike isn't leaning to one side when I fill up.

I was just down your way this week, Wednesday through Saturday and filled my bike up myself every time. :confused:

I knew NJ had that rule, but didn't really think it would apply to a motorcycle. I just pulled up, shoved my card in, selected "credit" and pumped away. Didn't even have the attendant come up to me.

Pagerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I fill from the right as I'm right handed and since I use a modular helmet I do not remove it. So far I've only filled from gas cans in my garage that I buy for my work truck. Soon as we get some nice days I may get to do a station fill.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Whichever side the pump is on, I pull up. Usually I don't even get off the bike, I just pull up close, use the card, pump and go. Doesn't matter if its left or right.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do right-right, but honestly I've never considered the issue. I pretty much always fill up while on the bike, just so I can hold the bike upright and get optimally full. It would be easier to have the pump on my left, so there's less travel for the hose and chance of scratching. So from now on, I'll have the pump on my left. For the record, I voted right-right, consistent with my past fill-up habits.

Jersey is weird.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I pull up with the pump on my left, deploy the sidestand (except on long trips I put on centerstand to shove a little extra fuel in), dismount w/ helmet on & gloves off, turn the handlebar to the right for better access, and pump slowly with my right hand (uhhh, that didn't sound good! :spank: ).

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you get off the bike at all? I never have filled any of my bikes up while not on. I saw someone said it was dangerous- how?

Edit - did not answer poll, there isn't an option for either side, doesn't matter.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you get off the bike at all? I never have filled any of my bikes up while not on. I saw someone said it was dangerous- how?

Edit - did not answer poll, there isn't an option for either side, doesn't matter.

Sometimes I stay on the bike, but on longer rides I like to stretch my legs a little. I sometimes check my oil level while stopped, especially on longer trips. It's also easier to access wallet, screw with keypad & gawk at hot women at other pumps when off bike (or should that be: access keypad, gawk at wallet & screw with hot women? I don't know! :D ).

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Right handed and always fuel up on the left. It's the way the bike leans and every vehicle I've driven has had the fuel door on the drivers side. So mostly just out of habit that I fill on the left.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Step one- pull up to open pump (either side)

Step two- turn bike off and pull key to put in pocket

Step three- remove helmet and gloves

Step four- walk inside gas station

Step five- go to open register or wait in line (if register is open proceed to step 8)

Step six- find shortest line or line with cute girl at end (if no cute girl proceed to step 8)

Step 7- talk to cute girl and try to get her number

Step 8- pay for gas with cash

Step 9- return to bike pulling key out of pocket

Step 10- put key in gas tank lid and unlock to open

Step 11- pull pump handle out and place gently in tank

Step 12- select grade of fuel

Step 13- begin fueling

Step 14- explain to person next to you why you go ATGATT

Step 15- top off tank

Step 16- slowly pull nozzle out of tank and rotate 180* to not drip fuel on tank

Step 17- return handle to pump

Step 18- close tank lid and latch

Step 19- pick up helmet, walk over to window washer and clean visor of big guts

Step 19- remove key from tank and place in ignition

Step 20- start bike

Step 21- put helmet back on along with gloves

Step 22- get back on bike and reset trip odo

Step 23- ride off

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Step 7- talk to cute girl and try to get her number

Amendment:

Step 7- talk to cute girl and try to get her number (if you get her number, proceed to step 22 a

Step 22 a- Rev the engine to 5-7k 2 times because you're a badass alpha male, and you wanna let everyone know it.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Amendment:

Step 7- talk to cute girl and try to get her number (if you get her number, proceed to step 22 a

Step 22 a- Rev the engine to 5-7k 2 times because you're a badass alpha male, and you wanna let everyone know it.

I just choked on some coffee laughing at that!!!