How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. that's actually one of the few not-so-bad things about NJ. Free full service FTW!

I would consider it a benefit if it's cold and I'm driving a work vehicle or my beater but would not want some punk kid filling up my nice car and slamming the nozzle into my car or leaking fuel on my paint. If he tried to stick the nozzle in my bike's tank I'd stick that nozzle up...nevermind.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All these condescending remarks because something is DIFFERENT.

In this country... yes, the whole country... it is strictly customer hands off. You roll to a stop, flip open the cap and say "fill her up!"

That is how I fill up.

And... the majority of fuel attendants are pretty careful with bikes, they will lower the nozzle to the ground and empty any residual fuel then hold their hand over the end until it is over the tank filler. Same hand guard when removing after delivering the fuel.

Last edited:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer pulling up to the pump with it on my left (to make it easier to fill up from the left), but I'll pull up to whatever's open - even if the pump is on the right side of my bike I'll still stand on the left to fill.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Last Summer, I watched an older guy on a Harley perform the operation without dismounting the bike - yea I know it's not the safest thing to do but it sure looked easier than putting down the center jack. I haven't dismounted since! BTW, I'm left handed and fill from the center left I guess.

Ken's MKV

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the first time I filled I automatically filled from the right with my right. I guess its a habit since my cars filler is on the right too. My scooter tank was in the back so I could fill it from pretty much anywhere....not to mention it was only 1.5 gallons.

Cheers
Ken

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Righty on the Left. Mine is on the side-stand, so it's tilted toward me: easier to access, and easier to peer into the tank and see when the gas is just up to the perforated plate.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
All these condescending remarks because something is DIFFERENT.

In this country... yes, the whole country... it is strictly customer hands off. You roll to a stop, flip open the cap and say "fill her up!"

That is how I fill up.

And... the majority of fuel attendants are pretty careful with bikes, they will lower the nozzle to the ground and empty any residual fuel then hold their hand over the end until it is over the tank filler. Same hand guard when removing after delivering the fuel.

Keep in mind, that's not the norm in most places, so to us it seems bizarre, or even ridiculous. Nobody means any offense with their comments, it's just really different is all. I view at as : what, we can't even pump our own fuel now?! The remarks made weren't meant to be condescending I'm sure, but rather to display disdain with the situation. I view it as condescending for any form of our(USA, not yours, since I don't live there;)) government to dictate what we can and cannot do, especially with something as simple as pumping gas. :thumbup:

I prefer to have the pump to my left, and I stand to the left of the moto, and fill it that way. I'm right handed, but for some reason I use my left hand to fill, and use my right hand to catch any fuel that might try to drip out when I remove the nozzle(wow the ways that can be misinterpreted! lol). But, I'll fill up however I have to, so if I can't fill up using my preferred method, no biggie.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind, that's not the norm in most places, so to us it seems bizarre, or even ridiculous. Nobody means any offense with their comments, it's just really different is all. I view at as : what, we can't even pump our own fuel now?! The remarks made weren't meant to be condescending I'm sure, but rather to display disdain with the situation. I view it as condescending for any form of our (USA, not yours, since I don't live there;)) government to dictate what we can and cannot do, especially with something as simple as pumping gas. :thumbup:

I think in this country it happens for two reasons: Historical, and quite frankly, job creation. When you fill your car there will be one guy at the fuel nozzle and one or even two cleaning the windows. If the petrol attendants go on strike, the petrol stations close. Now, how bizarre is that???

Oh, and our government is no less ridiculous than most others :spank:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
As many others mentioned, I too pull up with the pump on the left so I can put it on the side stand and easily fill it up. I always get off the bike, as it just makes everything much easier, especially digging my wallet out of my riding pants with my gloves on.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I fill up one cool refreshing Keystone at a time just like Keith Stone.

No really I'm like a lot of the earlire posts I go with either side I do tend to go with the right side a little more but I can go to the left just a easy

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill sat on the bike, does anyone else do this?

In South Australia, the service station cashier will not activate the pump for you until you are off the bike, and have removed your helmet...unless the cashier knows you well, then they let you fill tank without getting off, etc...

The main reasons for this is that filling the tank whilst on the bike is considered dangerous, and because of "drive/ride off's", which is a bit of a problem apparently.

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
In South Australia, the service station cashier will not activate the pump for you until you are off the bike, and have removed your helmet...unless the cashier knows you well, then they let you fill tank without getting off, etc...

The main reasons for this is that filling the tank whilst on the bike is considered dangerous, and because of "drive/ride off's", which is a bit of a problem apparently.

I seem to remember the same thing from some training or other I've had either her or in the UK. You have to get off your bike in case you slip while you're filling up or something and the bike goes down. They probably think that will ignite the fuel in the forecourt or something.

Also, you have to take the helmet off for the same reason they want you to take your helmet off when you go into a bank.

I think the next time I go to fill up I'm going to keep my helmet on, sit on the bike, fill up with one hand while I'm texting with the other and make sure to keep my lit cigarette hanging over the open tank...... :rockon:

los211

Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to fill from the left even though I'm a righty. Most of the time I stand with the bike wedged between my thighs so i can get as much full in as possible. Right side filling feels weird but has happened. My two other cars both have the filler on the left so that may have some thing to do with it. I have only had one car in my life that filled on the right and 2 that had the flip down rear license plate. Maybe because most vehicles fuel from the left it creates a habit for us and that makes left more dominant for filling with gas. Maybe????
We are creatures of habit you know

I live in cali and have to pump my own. its kinda nice until you need assistance and there is no one around. then you go inside the "store" but the guy cant understand you!

I grew up in Oregon so having some one fill the tank was normal and my first job. Back then '89-91 in I was making $8hr to pump gas that was $0.84 a gallon.

:BLAA:

Last edited: