Honda releases the 2010 VFR1200

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
the overall look of the bike isn't bad.

However, who the hell let the guy who who designed the fz1 exhaust up to the drawing board?

I agree that is one ugly exhaust. Shouldn't they be getting nicer and not uglier?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished reading 6 different test reviews of this bike from a Honda presser in Sugo, Japan last Friday. Every single review concurred on 4 points:

1- The DCT (auto transmission) works flawlessly. It has two auto-shift modes, and a manual paddle operated interface. This feature has been engineered to perfection, and every review raved about it without reservation.

2- The motor is strong and smooth, plenty of real world power down as low as 4000 RPM. The exhaust/intake sound signature was a unique tone and several reviews said it sounded like a radial aircraft engine.

3- The event was held at a race track, kind of unusual for a sport-touring bike debut. However, all of the accounts I read claimed that the bike felt great at track speed, with the 600 lbs weight having less influence on handling than expected. The shaft drive system did not display the usual "jacking" effect of other bikes using this type of final drive.

4- Styling opinions aside, every journalist noted the quality, fit and finish of the final product. I know that some individuals don't care for the large exhaust can or the layered fairing application, but that is to argued elsewhere. The estimates I read say a MSRP around $18,000 USD is pretty accurate, with a March 2010 release.

The only issue I want to resolve is the riding range from the 4.9 gallon tank. If the VFR1200 can get at least 40 MPG during highway use I will buy this bike.

Thanks John for the summary review... I hope you buy it so you can let me try it :D See you at lunch...

FZ6_Tengu

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to com in late.

That is a nice looking bike. Having riden both a Concourse 1400 and a slighlty older K1200 Bimmer this summer over 750 miles I can appreciate the improved wind protection and comfort that comes in this class. What I didnt see mentioned was cruise control or other nifty options like the BMWs have, but that my come out closer to the relase date. Never knew I wanted those things till I had them...

By the way, that curb weight is right in line with the other big sport tourers. The Yamaha is still better looking though.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, pricing for the UK was released today according to MCN.
Quoting from the article "£11,596 on the road when it goes on sale on Valentine's weekend next February. "

That is $19344.49 in US dollars as of this afternoon. You have got to be kidding me. Really? Wow....

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the FZ6 is like £6500 in the UK which is almost $11k, so I don't think the US price will be that high for the VFR... let's see...

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
....or a K1300S with bags and all options. Seriously my guess is that in the US it's got to list for something close to the Beemer which is about the closest bike to it - which means a base price in the neighbourhood of 15k-16k - still not cheap.