High Mileage FZ6?

jimothy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting an 2004 FZ6 but it has relatively high miles(~24K) and I wanted to see if anyone could shed light on the reliability of the bike at high mileage. Of course the guy said its been well cared for with oil changes and what not but does anyone have experience with this. Thanks.

I don't know about the FZ6 specifically, but Yamaha bikes have a good rep for running a good long time. 24 K doesn't sound too high, but it does sound like it was the primary transportation for the previous owner. Or, he made a lot of road trips. If it was road trips rather than a bunch of city driving, the bike should be great ... less wear on the transmission, brakes, etc. Highway miles are good miles. Even at that, 24K of city miles isn't too high. I'd base my decision on the condition of the bike. If it looks like it was well taken care of, it probably was; especially if he has maintenance records. Trust your instincts, and happy hunting!

I'm looking at getting an 2004 FZ6 but it has relatively high miles(~24K) and I wanted to see if anyone could shed light on the reliability of the bike at high mileage. Of course the guy said its been well cared for with oil changes and what not but does anyone have experience with this. Thanks.

I'm 9K under that but to date the bike has been flawless. At 26K that bike will be due for valve lash check and adjustment which it may not even need. Had a friend with an R1 that was 10K over the check point and it was still within spec. Yamaha builds a rock solid product for sure.

FWIW, I can remember at least 3 riders on that other forum having over 100K miles. But these were guys that were using the bike as their only means of transportation and putting over 30K on their bike each year.

An 04 with 24,000 ain't high mileage (at least not to me) I just went over 47,000 on my 06 today.:rockon:

I know its not a fz6, but I have heard of r1,s going 60,000 miles and still running. My r1 has 32,000 miles and still runs strong, but does use a little oil. But r1's are known to use oil.

How much do they want OTD? May not be a good buy if the price is too high. Some members are getting brand new '07's OTD for $6,000-$6,500.

I don't think that's too much mileage. I put 14K on my '07 last year and don't have any problems. I'll echo everyone else by saying if the bike is in good shape and a good price, go for it.
Just look the seller dead in the eyes before you commit and ask him two questions:

Why are you selling it?

Is there anything wrong with it?

If he displays fidgeting, averting his eyes, or talking-around your questions I would view that as a huge red flag. But if he's sincere you'll know. He might just honestly want to get rid of the bike. You'll know by his answers if this is the bike for you, just use your best judgement. I hope it all works out for you!

Back