Here we go!!!

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Have you thought about adding the headlight guard from an XB9SX ?

lg+2005_buell_xb9sx_city_x+headlamp.jpg

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, it did go quickly. It was like I got started and I just didn't want to stop until it was done! And I'm hoping to get it out for a quick ride today and I expect it to be completely different (in a good way, obviously).

Mexi, I've thought about the little grille, but I think I'll wait. I would assume that's just a cosmetic thing and doesn't serve any real purpose?

Clay, you'll get to see it at the Gap! Whoo hoo...I can't wait!

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I've also never heard anyone say how darn bright it is. I love it. I don't do a lot of night riding, but this is WAY brighter than the stock FZ6 headlight.

I must have forgotten to mention :eek: my gf describes it as "blindingly bright" in her rear view mirror when I have both beams on. I feel like that provides great visibility coming to intersections and stuff during the day too..:rockon:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha, David! We don't have a lot of buffaloes around Kentucky (a few, and yes, I realize you were kidding...lol), but we DO have tons of deer. You think it would help dissuade a buck from running out in front of me? LMAO! :D

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, I love this front. Thanks for all the photos and information, now I just have to wait for the tax returns :)
I love that grill, just looks mean. It's supposed to help in case it gets whacked, though I doubt it would serve any real-world practicality.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
True, even though it would most likely save your headlight in case of a direct hit with a dog and/or grandma :rof:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
You're welcome, abacall. I just wanted to document my experience so that it might help someone else that wants to do this conversion. I've found so much great information on this site from all the wonderful members and I wanted to contribute!

Here's a breakdown of the total cost:

Headlight, mount, and windscreen from Surdyke: $185 shipped
Assorted nuts, bolts, and washers from Home Depot: $4
1 piece of flat stock aluminum from Lowes: $8
Assorted wiring connectors for connecting headlight to stock harness: $4

And as for the mirrors that I've got waiting on the bar ends to mount them:

CRG Hindsight LS mirrors from vendor on eBay: $146 shipped
Bar ends from RhinoMoto that are made to accept the CRG's: $60 shipped

Total: $407

If anyone has any questions that I haven't answered or needs the part numbers on the headlight, mount, and windscreen from Surdyke, feel free to let me know! I'm here to help!

:thumbup:

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
You're welcome, abacall. I just wanted to document my experience so that it might help someone else that wants to do this conversion. I've found so much great information on this site from all the wonderful members and I wanted to contribute!

Here's a breakdown of the total cost:

Headlight, mount, and windscreen from Surdyke: $185 shipped
Assorted nuts, bolts, and washers from Home Depot: $4
1 piece of flat stock aluminum from Lowes: $8
Assorted wiring connectors for connecting headlight to stock harness: $4

And as for the mirrors that I've got waiting on the bar ends to mount them:

CRG Hindsight LS mirrors from vendor on eBay: $146 shipped
Bar ends from RhinoMoto that are made to accept the CRG's: $60 shipped

Total: $407

If anyone has any questions that I haven't answered or needs the part numbers on the headlight, mount, and windscreen from Surdyke, feel free to let me know! I'm here to help!

:thumbup:

I work for Surdyke's (surdyke motorsports - Yamaha KTM Polaris) and they do have a really good mail order deal. You get 20% off retail on web orders. Good deal!

The website for Buell stuff is Festus, Missouri, Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason, I like CCHOUSEKY's blue bike so much that I want to go on a ride with ya lol Take that as a compliment I suppose.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got the bar ends in yesterday, so the mirrors were able to go on. While there's still some tinkering to be done, this is basically the final incarnation.

photo31.jpg

photo32.jpg

photo33.jpg

photo34.jpg

photo35.jpg

photo36.jpg

I've gotta do a little wiring work on the headlight, find a spot for the horn, and try and relocate the flasher relay (why couldn't they put it inside the frame in the first place???), but overall, it's done. The wiring work on the headlight is easy...I've gotta reverse the wiring as I mistakenly wired it so the highbeam is on when it should be lowbeam and vice versa...and I need to run the wiring from the little running light inside the headlight to one of the turn signal wires so it comes on when the key is on. Other than that, though, she's ready for the road.

I took her out on a country road just down from my office today and man, did it feel good!!! I'm LOVING the feel of the bike without the fairing there and the wind is so much smoother coming over the little windscreen. It's much quieter and I can actually hear what the engine sounds like.

Oh, and the mirrors...WOW. These things are a VAST improvement over the stock mirrors where I had to move my elbows in to see behind me. They're a convex mirror, so I have a much wider field of view. So much so, that I can even see the tail of the bike while still seeing a much wider field. And they and the bar ends are rock solid. Not a hint of vibration. I'm very impressed.

What's next? Well, at some point I'm gonna get a blue front fender from a FZ6R (it's the same fender as the '04-'06 FZ6), so that should make the front pop a bit more. After that, who knows? I'm pretty darn happy with it now and feel like I've got a brand new bike! Man, now I just need riding season to get here!!!

:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!!! Looks sick Cory!

Oh, and the mirrors...WOW. These things are a VAST improvement over the stock mirrors

:BLAA: you must be one of the only ppl who think bar-ends are better than stock :D I got used to the CRGs, but they're far from great imo...

In any case, your bike kicks some serious A**!!! Well done :rockon:

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great work mate, i love the look of the headlights and screen. The only thing i would change is maybe some clear indicators, they might blend in a bit better.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!!!! Looks sick Cory!

:BLAA: you must be one of the only ppl who think bar-ends are better than stock :D I got used to the CRGs, but they're far from great imo...

In any case, your bike kicks some serious A**!!! Well done :rockon:

I love my Bar end mirrors...only mirrors i have found which allow me to see what the hell is going on behind me, and plus, they lower the profile of the bike, and give the bike a much more aggressive look IMHO!

:rockon:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm really happy with the results, for sure.

David, I can't remember, but did you have the Hindsight or the Hindsight LS mirrors? I'm just thinking with the elbow and rubber mounts on the LS that maybe it's a bit more stable? Heck, I have no clue...just thinking out loud...lol.

And it's funny, because I always HATED the stock mirrors on the FZ6. I completely agree with Wolfman that I think they lower the profile and give the bike a much more aggressive look. But it wasn't the "antennae" look of the stock mirrors that I didn't like (I actually liked that the fairing on the FZ looked like a wasp's head), but rather the usability of the mirrors. It seemed I could never really see behind me without catching a huge look at my elbows (although I always do a head-check anyway).

Prebstar, I'm actually going to change the stock signals eventually and go with some Rizomas. I'm just a bit tapped-out on cash after doing the conversion, but as soon as I can come up with the $$$, I'll be changing them out. The stockers do overpower the front end a bit (and I actually liked them on the fairing), but they'll be going soon enough. :thumbup: