HELP! Took off the calipers, can't put them back on!

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, i'm feeling pretty bad right now. I really hope i dont have to go to dealer with the bike on a truck. Don't have the money...

So i took off the calipers...

Steps i took:

Unbolted the two bolts that let loose the calipers. Then unbolted the brake line. Liquid came out and i stopped the liquid with a rag and some tape.

I realized after taking off the three calipers that i was way over my head and should have just left them on.

So i put them back on just as i took them off. Tighten everything to my max.

I sat on the bike to test the brakes... and Nothing.. both rear and front brakes arent working. i pulled/ pressed both brake levers and there was no resistance. It was as if i was just pushing a piece of paper...

If anyone has the time and patience to help a fellow fizzer.. lol.. Please PM me and i will PM you back my cell number... Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS and srry for the long post..

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you need to bleed more brake fluid back into the brake lines (assuming there is no more dripping). Do some searching for how to bleed the brake both on this site and on google....or take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

What were you trying to accomplish in the first place?

BTW, I encourage you to do your own work, but make sure you do your homework first and take your time. Good luck.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
I was trying to paint the calipers with some VHT Red Caliper paint.. but i think i'll end up using the paint brush style caliper paint instead.

I really enjoy doing it myself type of work... it's a great learning experience and inexpensive. I know, i should've done a little more h.w. first.. i was just anxious. I'll do that search for bleeding the brakes.. hopefully that'll help..

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
*edit*... nevermind, you answered before I posted...

Why did you unbolt the brake lines? Sounds like you got air in the system. If you needed to bleed the brake fluid there are bleeder valves on each caliper, no need to unbolt the brake lines. A quick "google" seach will show you how to bleed the brake system properly... Don't panic, it's not difficult to bleed the air out of the lines...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so i've been reading around on bleeding the lines and getting the air out and everything..I was in a lil bit of a panic b4.. but i'm cool now...

Thanks you guys for the info and advice.. i'll be reading alot more before i head back out to do the dirty work..

One thing I read around was ; "this bike is at least a great bike to learn things on, fairly simple to get to things and overall an easy bike."

I was glad to read that... lol...

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
One more problem.. There's no where right now that i can purchase motorcycle Brake fluid...LoL... why did i do this on a sunday...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more problem.. There's no where right now that i can purchase motorcycle Brake fluid...LoL... why did i do this on a sunday...

No Walmart? Gas Station? Auto parts store open on Sunday? Gotta be something open...

GlockDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
When bleeding your brakes, don't hurry and keep an eye on fluid levels. If you don't pay attention you can run low on brake fluid and suck air though the master cylinder. Good rule of thumb is to never let it get below half.

Also, don't get any fluid on your brake pads. They are usually toast if you do and you'll need new ones.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great you jumped right in! Okay your feet are wet and you're on a forum with a lot of folks that have "Jumped In" at some place in life.

A can of Brake Kleen wouldn't hurt. If you've contaminated the pads with brake fluid I would take them off wash them with Brake Kleen or like product. Try to keep the pads located back to the same rotor on the same side of each rotor. If you've mixed them up already don't go real hard on the brakes for 100 or so miles. You want the pads to massage back in to the rotors.

Edit: Also Wipe off the rotors with Brake Kleen.

One more thing!

We want to see those Caliper when you're done painting them...

Cliff

Last edited:

GlockDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
That's great you jumped right in! Okay your feet are wet and you're on a forum with a lot of folks that have "Jumped In" at some place in life.

A can of Brake Kleen wouldn't hurt. If you've contaminated the pads with brake fluid I would take them off wash them with Brake Kleen or like product. Try to keep the pads located back to the same rotor on the same side of each rotor. If you've mixed them up already don't go real hard on the brakes for 100 or so miles. You want the pads to massage back in to the rotors.

One more thing!

We want to see those Caliper when you're done painting them...

Cliff

Yeah, what nccoder said. We want to see the end result.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Srry you guys...i was thinking to myself that i needed a specific motorcycle brake fluid.. got a call from a fellow member and told me i could use the stuff from autozone as long as it's dot4... So i just finished picking that up... but now i just read something about the fluid leaking onto the pads.. i'm pretty sure that happened..so now i gotta go out and pick up something called brake kleen i guess..lol..hope i find it...but what do you guys reccomend.. should i first clean the brake pads then bleed the brakes..or it doesnt matter..

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do your work first then clean it up.

Do you have any tubing to fit over the bleed nipple? If not pick up a couple of feet, this will keep the fluid off your bike. Also when you add fluid to the master cylinder ensure you don't get any on your gas tank, it will stain it. Place an old towel over the tank to catch the spills but don't let it sit there too long if you have spilled on the towel.

A helper will make the job much easier too.

If you find you can't bleed the system, it never pumps up, try wrapping a little bit of plumber tape around the threads of the nipple so the air doesn't suck back in.

Good luck, before you know it you'll be syncing your throttle bodies!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Srry you guys...i was thinking to myself that i needed a specific motorcycle brake fluid.. got a call from a fellow member and told me i could use the stuff from autozone as long as it's dot4... So i just finished picking that up... but now i just read something about the fluid leaking onto the pads.. i'm pretty sure that happened..so now i gotta go out and pick up something called brake kleen i guess..lol..hope i find it...but what do you guys reccomend.. should i first clean the brake pads then bleed the brakes..or it doesnt matter..

Get a little hose to put on the end of bleeder so the fluid drains into a jar when your picking up the cleaner. Do Not hit the brake levers when you have the brakes disassembled. Try to put the pads back where they came from. Clean pads, rotors, re-assemble, and then bleed. On the front, bleed the left caliper first, then bleed the right caliper. You've got this!

Another important thing is BEER!:noworries::iconbeer::beer::rof:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a little hose to put on the end of bleeder so the fluid drains into a jar when your picking up the cleaner. Do Not hit the brake levers when you have the brakes disassembled. Try to put the pads back where they came from. Clean pads, rotors, re-assemble, and then bleed. On the front, bleed the left caliper first, then bleed the right caliper. You've got this!

Another important thing is BEER!:noworries::iconbeer::beer::rof:
Got to have cold beer in your hand or it's a lost cause!! LMAO :rof::Im With Stupid::iconbeer:

GlockDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking back on it, the time I "oiled up" my front brake pads was from blowing a fork seal. I never did get those pads to work again, ruined them. Tried Brake kleen, B-12, Fire. lol Nothing would get the pads clean enough to "grip". Maybe brake fluid can be cleaned from the pads. I would sure try first before I buy new pads. Just test you brakes in at very low speed in the driveway before you try them on the road. Nothing say's "oh chit" like no brakes. :eek:

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys...but no beer today... just some water... also, why is it important to do the front left caliper first.. vs the front right.. just curious