Helmet with rear view mirror

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the idea. If the helmet meets SNELL and / or ECE, I wouldn't mind owning one.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eyes in the back of your head.

I can't help wondering what effect this will have on the safety of the helmet :eek:
I was thinking the same thing, if there are extra bits built in, is there one more bit that could knock the old noggin in the event of a crash?
+ 1 had to giggle when they casually say @ $700.00 its reasonable. Half the vehicles I have owned have not cost $700.00.
Neil

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm "REEVU RV MSX1 has already passed most of the Worlds most stringent safety standards it has already proved itself on and off the Track and is currently homologated to ECE 22.05. INMETRO DOT AS/NZS 1698. 2006 S.A.B. K.S."

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Neat idea, however I fear it might be a bigger distraction than safety measure. Time will tell! Ill be waiting for reviews

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty wild. I would imagine it would take some getting used to... head checks would throw the mirror in the wrong direction so if you were going to incorporate it in lane changes...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have tried one on at the Melbourne bike expo last year, they salesman reckons they take about two weeks to get used to.
personally I found it confusing the mirror runs at the top of the visor in a strip that is adjustable up and down for best viewing angle by the wearer.
Not sure if it was just the confusing expo background but I couldnt really guage what I was seeing. The other thing was I tried on a large which floated on my head (I usually wear a"S") so not sure if it will be as good as the current lid
Its an interesting concept and when my Shoei is due for relacement I'll certainly look again but how it fits is the real key. Looking to see how many other manufacturers jump on the bandwagon and bring out something similar.

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like this idea.

1. What will happen when you lie down on the tank? You will see the sky...
2. What about a passenger? You will see his or her helmet...Finally, you will find out what these guys are doing behind your back during riding)))) You will see their eyes full of fear)))
3. They mentioned mirror vibration. This stuff will vibrate too...
4. What about a helmet weight? Definetely, it will be heavier...

I can't find any advantage in this solution. From my point of view, correctly adjusted side mirrors make this invention useless. It seems to me that some try to turn a motorcycle into a car, but this never gonna happen. They try to bring "car ideas" to riding. Some of them are useful, like abs for instance, but some are useless like automatic gear or this rear mirror in a helmet.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried one of these on at a bike show last year. It works reasonably well but the helmet itself felt a bit cheap compared to other decent quality ones.

I'll stick with my regular helmet for now and just keep checking my mirrors and turning my head.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like this idea.

1. What will happen when you lie down on the tank? You will see the sky...
2. What about a passenger? You will see his or her helmet...Finally, you will find out what these guys are doing behind your back during riding)))) You will see their eyes full of fear)))
3. They mentioned mirror vibration. This stuff will vibrate too...
4. What about a helmet weight? Definetely, it will be heavier...

I can't find any advantage in this solution. From my point of view, correctly adjusted side mirrors make this invention useless. It seems to me that some try to turn a motorcycle into a car, but this never gonna happen. They try to bring "car ideas" to riding. Some of them are useful, like abs for instance, but some are useless like automatic gear or this rear mirror in a helmet.

I want my helmet to have the rear view mirror AND a windscreen wiper!

Eicma-2011-Helmet-Visor-Wiper-1.jpg

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just think of riding along at night, and some d!ckhead cager has his high-beam on behind you, with 5 spotties etc.

Even if you divert your head away, so it doesn't shine in your eyes, the increased light in the helmet will ruin your night vision.

Better to use the side mirrors, and the old fashioned shoulder-check methinks.....

Cheers,
Rick

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do half my riding at night as I come home from work, we have a big problem over here with people not dipping their headlights when behind you.
Is there a quick way you can close the mirror or change the angle? I suppose if you have to do that it renders the idea useless?

Neil

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
... ...
Is there a quick way you can close the mirror or change the angle? ... ...
Neil

ducttape.jpg
:BLAA:

When i first saw this thread I was thinking of external mirrors like our pedal friends use. Then thinking how wonderful that would be with the air noise and snapping your neck in a wreck!

I can't imagine the distraction but hopefully this NEW idea can be adjusted such that you really have to glance up to see it. As for the bright lights, photo-chromic materials and light sensing photo cells have come a long ways. It could auto dim for those bright lights. My cage's rear view mirror does it automatically.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here s a link to the website here in Oz for these rearvision equipped helmets, just read an ad in a bike mag and thought Id have a look and share, Not sure If I like the talking head????
Reevu :: Home

MichaelInVenice

Reaction score
Visit site
Ultimately the solution to seeing what's behind you is a tiny camera facing back and a small LCD screen mounted in front of you where you won't have to do any more than glance down quickly. The technology is at the point where it's really not that expensive and I'm kind of surprised nobody's done it yet.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Ultimately the solution to seeing what's behind you is a tiny camera facing back and a small LCD screen mounted in front of you where you won't have to do any more than glance down quickly. The technology is at the point where it's really not that expensive and I'm kind of surprised nobody's done it yet.
Start it up! Get on one of those websites that people can donate money to your project.

MichaelInVenice

Reaction score
Visit site
Start it up! Get on one of those websites that people can donate money to your project.

Thinking about it. Would be tough to protect the idea though, since it's already become pretty common in cars for backup purposes and is soon going to be mandatory. Often uses a small LCD built in to the rear view mirror.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about it. Would be tough to protect the idea though, since it's already become pretty common in cars for backup purposes and is soon going to be mandatory. Often uses a small LCD built in to the rear view mirror.

Unless you would use a really good LCD display that would work even in glaring sun, it would be a practical idea.

However, until we incorporate this technology into Google Glass type of a thing or HUD on the visor of the helmet, I will stick with simply turning my head and checking for traffic.