Headlight question

mike62858

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I dont know if this is a silly question, but when my headlights are on, only the left one is on and the other goes on with the high beams.The dealer says this is the way its made. I cant imagine that being the case.
Its a 2007.

If this is stock I would like to do something so that both are on and a set of high beams are brighter.
Thanks
Mike

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a "feature" not a "flaw."

But seriously, it's designed into the bike and it's a mystery why they did it.

Use the search function to find a wealth of info on modifying your lights to work like you'd expect them to. Search for "headlight mod"

Good luck and welcome!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
many people do the dual low beam mod as it is very simple, but long story short, they do the single side on purpose.

The theory behind this is that oncoming cars think that dual headlight bikes are further away because the lights look close together (just like a car in the distance) so it is technically a safety feature.

Did i explain that well enough?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
many people do the dual low beam mod as it is very simple, but long story short, they do the single side on purpose.

The theory behind this is that oncoming cars think that dual headlight bikes are further away because the lights look close together (just like a car in the distance) so it is technically a safety feature.

Did i explain that well enough?

Cool. I had no idea. Thanks!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. I had no idea. Thanks!

I am not sure how much it actually helps, but thats the reasoning that is out there for it. I personally think that one headlight would seem further away (as in when the lights merge into one because they are so far away...)

Yamamer

Reaction score
Visit site
You would have to get a set of Hi/low H4 bulbs, one will need to be modified, as originally one is an H7, to fit inside the housing. I have been looking into this as of late also.

I believe if you put a relay(NC) inline the switched 12VDc for the low and run the highbeam line from the switch to the relay this should solve all the problems and less wiring. Can anyone advise? See Diagram below.

Last edited:

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I was told by a Yamaha mechanic the single bulb was because this bike was made up from the sport catagory the electrical system "rectifyer"(sp) could not handle the extra bulb - all the time - I was told not to run on the High's for extended amount of time hmmmm?
Instead I installed a headlight modulator switched on by high an stops when it gets too dark; like it a lot. It bugs most but that's the point you stand out specially with cars these days having their light on people have become numb. The modulator is a little something new. Have rear brake also.
I've noticed ... when splitting lanes cars further up tend to move over - they see sooner! A bit pricey but I'm real happy.

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive done the mod and its as easy as installing 1 wire

no rectifier probs

no extra bulbs to buy as the hi/lo beam light is already fitted

requires 2 feet of cable and a large spade connector and a scotch connector[i think thats what its called abut basically its a block that connects a wire to another without the need to cut it]

on the right hand light connect to the spare spade and run cable through the headstock and connect to green wire in block directly behing headstock and under tank

time to do once u know what ur doing 15 mins

u can also run the wire up to the left handlebar and connect it there but that seemed harder to me

I feel the bike may have looked sportier with the one light as a most sports bike have this type now but personally I hated the one light on and its much brighter at night once its done

have fun