Headlight Kit VS02

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
ah yes. my eyes are pleased. the bike looks proper now. you can ride it safely. the clamps that hold the handlebar can be repainted, the triple tree is a bit more difficult to do tho as you have to remove the whole front end plus the ignition, which is held by 2 safety bolts that have to be drilled out.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
ah yes. my eyes are pleased. the bike looks proper now. you can ride it safely. the clamps that hold the handlebar can be repainted, the triple tree is a bit more difficult to do tho as you have to remove the whole front end plus the ignition, which is held by 2 safety bolts that have to be drilled out.

Thanks for the guidance. I am not sure what I will do. I still need to go to the doctor because I probably tore some ligaments in my index finger on my right hand. I am holding off until after my motorcycle training course, which is this weekend! Finally! :rockon:

The previous owner completely took out the relay switch. We can't find it anywhere. Luckily that is an easy fix, because I am not riding this thing until those damn blinkers work!

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Vishnu, if you're reading this I've been trying to PM you for the last few days.

Regarding the kit, yes, Vishnu's customer service is quite good. There were some issues with my VS1 kit however. The windscreen fit too loosely on the posts. Either the posts were too long or the grommets were too small. I made it work by slicing a second set of grommets Vishnu sent and putting them on the posts first. Also, the main bracket was causing a really bad vibrational noise which took me a while to track down. It was making contact with the forks so I just wedged a piece of rubber in between and it's been fine since. You may also want to consider a headlight bulb mod as with the new setup your low beam will be next to useless at night and running your high beam all the time will blind everyone. Vishnu sells a relay for this which is what I'm trying to contact him about. I really liked the look of the smaller turn signal so I ordered an extra set and put them on the rear. Oh, you'll probably have a "fast blink" issue with your new setup which requires a simple and cheap electronic signal relay.

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
So I received my VS02 kit yesterday (5/1/2013) And got most of it put together. I'm really happy about the way it looks.
Unfortunately I too did not receive the turn signals in my kit. I re-installed the stock turn signals, which was nice since it didn't require an wiring. I hope to change these out with what should have come with the kit.
Also, some hardware parts were missing. I did not get a pair of spacers for mounting the headlight to the headlight stay which run through the deeper gaskets. I just installed without them.
Finally the two 40mm bolts to mount the headlight stay at the bottom were seemingly too long. They would screw all the way though and the headlight stay would still be loose, and yes i had the 20mm spacers behind there. Simple fix: I just added a couple washers.
All in all the kit looks great, was a little finicky to get together, but not too bad. 4 hours total. Shipping was super fast and packaged well. Just wish i had the missing pieces from the start because now, I'll have to take it apart. At least I know what I'm doing now.

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
I also forgot to mention with the headlight wiring: I followed the instructions exactly to wire the single naked kit bulb, and no the high beam indicator is always on. Interestingly, when i switch the high beam on, the little blue indicator becomes brighter. Not that big a deal because I'll certainly know when my brights are on or off (since the low beam is notoriously dim).

Also, pictures to come!

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my VS01 kit in the mail looks like I'm also missing the turn signals which kinda sucks because the guy I bought the bike from did some slight modding of his own. You can see in the pic the flashers are now flush with the fairing, so I'll probably need to go out and buy some new mounts anyway. But he also put a projector headlight in the fairing so I'm thinking I may just pop that out of the fairing and into the kit. I've also heard that I'll need to take out the reflective bit in the actual headlight housing if I'm using a project/halogen headlight, how tough is that in anyone's experience?

Really good delivery time and Vishnu has been pretty great at getting back to me with any questions I had. The rest is up to me, which unfortunately won't be until tomorrow. But got tomorrow off so if everything goes smoothly I'll have some pics up of the completed product.

Last edited:

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I wont be able to work on it much today unfortunately, (raining and not enough dang room in the garage) but I'd feel better if I had my brother who knows all about bikes there with me to make sure I don't frig up the wiring anyway. I'm certain I could piece apart the fairing, but the wiring is pretty daunting, plus I was hoping someone may have had some experience with swapping the regular lamp with projectors may have advice. And now I'm almost positive I'll need to take the reflective backing out of the VS01 kit so any advice on that would be much appreciated.

So hopefully this weekend I can get down to business, and until then I can get all the little dirty parts I was OCDing over while I was deep inspecting the innards of the fairing. I'll post more as I progress.

Edit: Or I could use the search function durrrr.... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/48140-i-had-dream-will-naked.html

Last edited:

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
You'd probably be better off selling your current headlights (to me!) and getting a new projector/ballast.

That way you can find one that better matches your new headlight (and you'll want to get one that is dual beam in one headlight).

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha I might do that. I'm gonna work on it this evening after I get out of work. I have know idea on the pricing of these things so I'll need to do a little more research too make sure neither of us gets a crappy deal. Pretty sure you're correct on needing a new projector with high/low beams in one.

That thread I referenced earlier has some really good info, though it gets a little greek here and there and kinda nil on a good place to buy from. So if you know of any reputable dealers I might get a new one from, let me know. I'll hop back on later tonight to post progress.

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Made some progress today. Got the fairing off easy enough though we have our wiring work cut out for us. The instructions for the wiring are clear enough so that shouldn't be too difficult. Sorry for the crappy low light pic but, the 12 pack bribe paid to my brother and buddy kinda cut into productivity.

Need to do some more research on the throttle cable since the kill switch/horn assembly isn't fitting together just right anymore, and I need to be sure I've hooked them back up correctly. Gonna do some more work tomorrow and hopefully get some more finished.

Last edited:

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it finished this weekend. Actually got done on Friday night with the wiring/hiding and mounting, had a few beers to celebrate and had to wait til Saturday to fix the throttle. We had to take off the throttle/kill switch/ blinker/caution switch assemblies to slip on the mirrors. Bar end mirrors would have been much more convenient but I like the look of these a bit more.

Huge props to my brother for having a ton more technical knowledge than me. Vishnu's wiring directions helped out a lot since the guy did a bit of a goofy wiring job, so we followed the nest you see in the pic back to the standard yellow, green and black wires. Got those hooked up and found a harness for each of the blinker connections, so I thank the previous owner for that much, and the sweet looking after market flashers. Kind of astonishing he needed all that extra wiring for a couple of HID projectors :eek:. But we were able to pull out the wiring and ballast/relays intact and snipping only the power and ground wires heading into the battery. The only other hiccup was wondering where to mount the horn, I doubt it's noticeable but maybe a little later I'll try to find a better place to hide it. That and maybe a HID lamp that will actually fit into the headlight housing. That will depend on how possible it is to keep the wiring to minimum and and hiding the ballast, so something to think about for now (I agree with some other posts I've seen about the running light being really dim for this kit). One other thing I've noticed is that my high beam indicator is always on now. Not too big a deal but it'll be something I work on.

All in all I love this kit, like having a brand new bike. Assembling the thing was super easy and once we got over the wiring hurdle it was just about hiding them. Again Vishnu has been great with any questions I had and the shipping time was super quick. Thanks for this thread too, tons of useful knowledge just littering this thing. :rockon::thumbup:. And I guess I have some HID lamps for sale.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin good! How is the wind at freeway speeds with that tiny excuse for a windscreen lol?

On a side note, what did the kit cost shipped?

Stevo592

Reaction score
Visit site
The kit is $325 dollars and comes with everything needed to mount the light.

Has anyone put a projector bulb in one? I'm interested to see how that would look!

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin good! How is the wind at freeway speeds with that tiny excuse for a windscreen lol?

On a side note, what did the kit cost shipped?

Yep as said, 325 shipping included. I was expecting a big difference in terms of wind, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

And if anyone knows how I might be able to figure out the brand of lights and those ballast/relays I'm looking to sell them at a fair price. Just want to be sure I'm not over/under charging, they're used and I've had them for about a year, I believe the guy that had the bike before me (who installed the lights) also had them for a year.

And lawlberg that would be awesome if you posted some pics. I'm also looking to use a projector as the light but don't know where to start.

Thanks again everybody for the thread and help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Like so.... And pardon, I do hope this is helpful... If you have a drill that switch is out in no time!

Here is good way to hold the triple for drilling it. Takes just one person.

Bottom line; Remove the bars, Remove the nut (1-1/16" socket works fine), loosen the top pinch bolts, remove the cable holder once the triple is loose and WALLA - Flip it over and secure it too the fork leg. It is now stable for drilling or grinding or punching. Pick your battle. I didn't want sparks flying or I would have slotted it. There is ample room to slot and NOT cut into the triple. Also the harness is long enough to flip and secure it.

Fork Stanchion Holding Triple for drilling process:
attachment.php

DRILL IT! NOTE: there are vent holes in the bottom of the switch. I covered them with tape before drilling the second bolt out. Those chips don't belong in the switch!
attachment.php

DONE! Notice Magnet in the paper bag collecting chips!
attachment.php

Now to powder coat.. .. ..

Snip it...
IMG_20130329_183711_363WEB_zps5ec574df.jpg

zupy46

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I am new on the forum and i would like to ask if someone give me the link where can I order this VS02 kit?

Thx!!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I wont be able to work on it much today unfortunately, (raining and not enough dang room in the garage) but I'd feel better if I had my brother who knows all about bikes there with me to make sure I don't frig up the wiring anyway. I'm certain I could piece apart the fairing, but the wiring is pretty daunting, plus I was hoping someone may have had some experience with swapping the regular lamp with projectors may have advice. And now I'm almost positive I'll need to take the reflective backing out of the VS01 kit so any advice on that would be much appreciated.

So hopefully this weekend I can get down to business, and until then I can get all the little dirty parts I was OCDing over while I was deep inspecting the innards of the fairing. I'll post more as I progress.

Edit: Or I could use the search function durrrr.... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/48140-i-had-dream-will-naked.html

If you need some info on retrofitting a Bi-xenon projector into a naked headlight, take a look at my FZ6N projector retrofit thread.
It has a VERY detailed step-by-step tutorial :)
If you need any other info regarding HIDs or retrofitting, just let me know :)

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

kbfzr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I am new on the forum and i would like to ask if someone give me the link where can I order this VS02 kit?

Thx!!

Welcome to the forum. :welcome: I'm relatively new as well. I just installed the vs02 kit and it looks great. You can purchase them from dev_usc, a member of this forum. Just send him a pm. He is very responsive and stands behind his product. My kit was at my door within about a week from when I purchased it. All the parts needed for this install are in the kit, and he pm'd the instructions. Any questions I had, he answered within a day or so.

During the install, I noticed the top fairing in the kit had one of the tabs broken off. I was not 100% sure whether I did this accidentally or it was delivered that way. I explained this to Vishnu (dev_usc) and offered to pay, since I wasn't sure of the cause. Within a week I had a new fairing in my mailbox, free of charge. Classy. :thumbup:

Anyway, here are some pics of my bike with the kit installed. Good luck.

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
If you need some info on retrofitting a Bi-xenon projector into a naked headlight, take a look at my FZ6N projector retrofit thread.
It has a VERY detailed step-by-step tutorial :)
If you need any other info regarding HIDs or retrofitting, just let me know :)

Grtz,

Degake

Sweet, thanks! Forum member Lawlberg also has a pretty good write up on how he did his. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/49157-naked-hid-projectors.html

I still have yet to take the plunge and pop one of them out of my original headlights and see if it fits into my VS01 kit. But when I do I'll add a write up to your's and Lawlberg's thread. Just need to find the time. Thanks again, the more info and references the better.