Hands go numb

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ease off on that death grip. All you need is palm friction to move the throttle and steer. You really don't need to hold tightly on the grips. Also, try resting fingers on the levers and switching which fingers will be resting on the levers during long trips. Pretend you're giving the Teaser, Pleaser, Splitter, Shocker and Show Stopper hand gestures keeping your hands on the bars.... It works and you get to practice hand jobs... hehehe

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My hands are fine on the FZ (grip puppies) but definitely fall asleep on the Daytona as my body position is more driven forward into the front end - really need to concentrate on using knees and abs on that bike. One thing I noticed was the vibration coming from the levers. I usually cover the brake and clutch with two fingers (shorty pazzos) all the time and if I take my fingers off them and wiggle around a bit, the blood returns.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:popcorn: let me know works best...I have the same problem. I have changed my grips, tried to 'relax' my hold, and have bought a crampbuster. But my right hand still goes numb.
And I thought I read somewhere that a bar snake wouldn't work for on the FZ, I must be wrong?!?!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ease off on that death grip. All you need is palm friction to move the throttle and steer. You really don't need to hold tightly on the grips. Also, try resting fingers on the levers and switching which fingers will be resting on the levers during long trips. Pretend you're giving the Teaser, Pleaser, Splitter, Shocker and Show Stopper hand gestures keeping your hands on the bars.... It works and you get to practice hand jobs... hehehe

Ok I'm dying of curiosity here......can you explain the second to last statement? Please!!!!!!!!!

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get numb hands too - but should specify that it is my thumb and first finger. A shake of the hand will bring back blood flow and make it feel better for a while, but then it comes back. That makes me wonder if I am just putting too much pressure on that hand or maybe have a death grip on the throttle.

I have grip puppies on order, but am waiting since the website says backordered for two weeks. I think I might look for gloves with more padding on the palm as well.

Maybe I just need to break-in my body to the bike. :Flash:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My hand's go numb too.....I don't really know a good way to prevent it from happening.......but I do know that holding a few ice cold beer bottles once you get home is the best way to make it go away!!! :D :rockon: :iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I get numb hands too - but should specify that it is my thumb and first finger. A shake of the hand will bring back blood flow and make it feel better for a while, but then it comes back.

That's actually more specific...
For those two fingers to be affected it points to your median nerve... Some people hyperextend their wrist while leaning on the bars... This could squeeze your carpal tunnel and your median nerve... Try to keep your wrist as "neutral " as possible... :thumbup:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
My right hand and my feet go numb after extended rides on the highway. I think it has a lot to do with clenching the bar. My left hand is fine, but it becomes difficult not to squeeze the bar on your throttle hand, when your holding the throttle at a consistent rpm.

I just try to keep my wrist level with the bar, not above (don't want to go over a bump and slam the throttle). And I try to not push down on the pegs with my feet.

Clenching your muscles and squeezing the bars seems to intensify the vibration. When I loosen myself up and ride the bike, not hold on for dear life - it seems to help (ME at least).

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'm dying of curiosity here......can you explain the second to last statement? Please!!!!!!!!!

YAH...what's that statement about....:rof::don'tknow::popcorn:

My bad, it's supposed to be Teaser, Pleaser, Shocker, Spocker, Rocker and Show Stopper....:ban:

Last edited:

fxclm5

Reaction score
Visit site
loosen your "death grip" learn to stabilize your bodyweight on the bike through your lower body - that includes EVERYTHING below your belly button, hips, thighs, ankles, feet, i mean everything. Your hands should never hold any portion of your body weight, I could move my entire upperbody/ arms and hands mid apex in a corner on the fz6 - thats how loose i was in my upperbody

Voila - you can now ride 400 miles in 1 day and not have any numbness in your hands.

dellis14

Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem here.. I bought the Break-away and it works great. easy to release and i relax my hand more.. But i always keep it on the grip.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
i got to admint, i cant belive that many people get numb :confused: i have never felt it, ever, have done distance of 150 miles with one break, and still nothing :confused: didnt know it affected so many, but got to say on the dont grip bars so tight, get a much better feel, when you are loosy goosy :p

aalleexx5

Reaction score
Visit site
I get numb hands too - but should specify that it is my thumb and first finger. A shake of the hand will bring back blood flow and make it feel better for a while, but then it comes back. That makes me wonder if I am just putting too much pressure on that hand or maybe have a death grip on the throttle.

I have grip puppies on order, but am waiting since the website says backordered for two weeks. I think I might look for gloves with more padding on the palm as well.

Maybe I just need to break-in my body to the bike. :Flash:

Thumb and first finger are signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. Get it checked out. Doesn't hurt to be safe

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
On my 30 min trip to work, I notice my hands go numb.. does anyone else go thru this?

I can contribute it to..

1. gloves are too tight, Ive ordered fingerless gloves to see if they help.
2. OEM grips are too thin, and vibration is causing it?

I've heard of changing grips, any suggestions?

Some ideas...

install grip puppies - rubber sleeves on the throttle.
wear thicker gloves with enhanced protection in the palms.
don't grip so tight.
try throttlerockers to take pressure off the hand.
try vista throttle lock and stretch hands when you safety allows.
change the angle of the handlebar - try small increments and mark on the side so you have a reference point...just a few mm can really change the ergonomic alignment.
try some bar risers to change the wrist pressure.
try excercising your hands/wrist at work with a soft rubber ball and or small dumb bell. etc.

Fred

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bad, it's supposed to be Teaser, Pleaser, Shocker, Spocker, Rocker and Show Stopper....:ban:

Wow... thats pretty inventive! I gotta admit I have never heard of these but I might have to try one or two out when I go for a ride next time;):rockon::cheer: