Had a blow-out!

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so maybe it wasn't so much an official "blow out" as it was an "instant deflation". I was riding back from Lake Hill Motors in Corinth, MS, the Yamaha dealer 60 miles from home that I purchased my FZ6 new from last year when all of a sudden the back end felt "wiggley". I was right in from of a GM dealership that I knew several guys that worked in so I flopped on in the service dept. The rear tire had 3.5 lbs of air pressure & a nail sticking out an inch. We pulled the nail out & it was so long that it touched the inside of the wheel! I called Lake Hill Motors to see if they had a rear Bridgestone Battlax B-020 to match the front OEM tire. They didn't, so I inquired about a set of matching tires of any brand because I don't like to mix-and-match M/C tires. The only thing they had in the correct sizes was a set of Conti Attacks. They wanted $350 for the tires plus $60 each to mount/balance. I thought that was high but was stuck so I agreed & asked to talk to Service to get put on. It was 3:00 PM & they didn't close until 5:30, but they said they didn't have time to install the tires. Working in automotive service, I understand about making appointments, but I was stuck 60 miles from home with a flat tire! Plus, I had just bought this bike 6 months prior FROM THEM & was willing to pay their absorbant prices to replace tires with only 3k miles on them. So much for service after the sale! They still refused to work me in, so I had my buddies at the GM dealer plug the tire, air it up & pray for me on the way home. I eased it 60 miles home with no problems & called my friend, Tim at my local Kawasaki dealer the next morning, whom I've done business with for 15 years on many different brands of bikes (none of which I've ever bought from them, but they've always gone above & beyond to help me).I ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2's after reading how many of you on this forum like them. Tim sold them to me for $285 plus only $17.50 each for mount/balance. What a deal! My next bike may have to be a Kawi just for the local service!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, you should call the other dealership and thank them. Not only did they saved you money, you found out where you can get good customer service where you can continue to do business in the future.

Stealership/Service centers have to understand that a stranded bike/or a bike down due to unscheduled maintenance during the middle of a roadtrip should take priority. That's kind of like the unwritten code.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it all worked out for you bro. Where in the tire was the nail? If it was in the meat of the tire, you could also have done one of those mushroom plugs from the inside of the tire and patch it. I did that on my OEM's when I had my FZ6 as I got a nail within 600 miles of owning the bike due to some construction on my street. It lasted me a full 8k miles without a single issue until the tread was low enough to just warrant replacing it.

Good choice in the Road IIs. I had them on my FZ and now have them on my Triumph. Great all around tire.

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it all worked out for you bro. Where in the tire was the nail? If it was in the meat of the tire, you could also have done one of those mushroom plugs from the inside of the tire and patch it. I did that on my OEM's when I had my FZ6 as I got a nail within 600 miles of owning the bike due to some construction on my street. It lasted me a full 8k miles without a single issue until the tread was low enough to just warrant replacing it.

Good choice in the Road IIs. I had them on my FZ and now have them on my Triumph. Great all around tire.

The nail was in the center of the tire, in the "meat" of the tread. The only thing was that the nail looked like it had been moving around, wallowing in the hole. I think what happened is that one end was against the inside of the wheel & the head was sticking out an inch from the tread, so when the tire spun around & the nail hit the ground, it kind of stretched the hole & let the air come out suddenly. I considered installing a plug/patch or mushroom plug, but the tread was 1/2 worn anyway & the front was scalloping so I just decided to go ahead & replace both of them. I was also kind of afraid that the tire belt may have been damaged. I never really liked the Bridgestones anyway. I have yet to ride on the new Michelins, but I have Michelin Pilots on my car & had Michelin Commanders on my Road Star & have been very happy with them. (I work for Goodyear, so don't tell my boss about all the Michelins! :D )

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer…sorry to read about this bad experience. If my bike was next in line for service and someone rolled in with an emergency I’d expect the emergency to move to the front of the line. I think we all would. So this service department that sent you packing is just a bunch of boneheads.

I have a Slime air compressor and one of their tire plug kits. The compressor is mainly for airing up tires after soft terrain adjustments, but on group or solo rides of any distance I toss them in one of my cases. Ya never know.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my fz with about 4,800 miles on it from the original owner. It had the original bridgestones on it. I knew they were to the end of their life so on a Thursday I ordered a new set of PR2's online. Went for a ride on Saturday with a buddy and the same exact thing happened...sudden rear tire deflation! It appeared that the PO had gotten a nail at some point and had the tire plugged. It was the plug that was leaking. There was still some good tread left on it too...so I'm not so sure really why it went bad.

Either way...I was thankful I had ordered the new tires! They came Monday, and by the next weekend the bike was back on the road. Too bad it was the last official ride day of the season.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used lots of those string type plugs over the years and never had a problem with them even on long tours. I usually have a set of plug tools some of the string tools and a small portable compressor with me. It's saved me and other guys on the side of the road more than once. And I usually used the plugged tires to the end of their lives.

Darth Fazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Either way...I was thankful I had ordered the new tires! They came Monday, and by the next weekend the bike was back on the road. Too bad it was the last official ride day of the season.

Good thing about living down here in Mississippi; no "last official ride day of the season". It's going to be 67F today, I'm off work & going riding! :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I read the the title I was like :eek: but pleased to hear it got sorted in the end :thumbup:

BTW I have been riding on PR's since 2008 and they're greeeaat :rockon:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
That is the nice thing about solid rims. You can just plug a tire and go. Can't do that with spokes. You gotta pull the whole wheel off, use spoons to remove the tire. Yank out the tube and put a new one in. You can patch them sometimes though. Then you gotta get the tube back in the tire back without pinching the tube or twisting it.

A mushroom plug is best for roadside repairs though. If you can do the job at home, there is a plug that uses a large round patch on the end. It plugs from the inside. Those are the ultimate.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used lots of those string type plugs over the years and never had a problem with them even on long tours. I usually have a set of plug tools some of the string tools and a small portable compressor with me. It's saved me and other guys on the side of the road more than once. And I usually used the plugged tires to the end of their lives.

Thank you! We've heard lots of speculation about the safety (or rather, danger) of plugs, but not much real-world experience. I rode on a plug for thousands of miles without problems too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the nice thing about solid rims. You can just plug a tire and go. Can't do that with spokes. You gotta pull the whole wheel off, use spoons to remove the tire. Yank out the tube and put a new one in. You can patch them sometimes though. Then you gotta get the tube back in the tire back without pinching the tube or twisting it.

A mushroom plug is best for roadside repairs though. If you can do the job at home, there is a plug that uses a large round patch on the end. It plugs from the inside. Those are the ultimate.

I used that style plug/patch on my FJR with the rear Brigestone. Works great!! I did have to bring the wheel to the shop and have them remove the tire from the rim. Smoothed out the inner surface and attached like a regular patch but with a plug sticking out. I made sure it was well adhered.. Re-mounted/balanced, no problems... The hole was dead center and pretty small.

BTW, on both bikes I carry a plug kit (not the same as above) but not an air compressor for around town. I can limp to an automotive shop for air, pop in a plug, air up and your on your way home. There's plenty of room under the seat for a kit,,,, For road trips, the 12 volt air compressor comes along too..

As a side note, we used one of those sticky ropes in a friends FJR rear tire. Very easy to install, no leaks. He left it in until he got another bike...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I used that style plug/patch on my FJR with the rear Brigestone. Works great!! I did have to bring the wheel to the shop and have them remove the tire from the rim. Smoothed out the inner surface and attached like a regular patch but with a plug sticking out. I made sure it was well adhered.. Re-mounted/balanced, no problems... The hole was dead center and pretty small.

Say, can you provide a link or a brand name of the plug/patch system?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Say, can you provide a link or a brand name of the plug/patch system?

This is the kit (not sure of the company as its been awhile, located in either Arizona or LV?) I have and used :

Steelman 1/8" Patch/Plug Combo Kit - STL-JSG381 - STANDARD

Box of 25, goes on like patching a bicycle tube glue/vulcanize, etc (the inner tire must be smooth).

I have had the bike over 140MPH (on the interstate, no one around), no problems...

They also make 1/4 plugs which I believe Walmart and most tire shops use for a permanent fix, same brand, style, just larger...

For a temporary repair that you can carry on the bike easily under the seat: http://www.dynaplug.com/

Last edited:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, those be the plugs. They still get cemented in but the pressure in the tire actually helps the plug to seal better. Well, I am sure it doesn't hurt!:rolleyes: