Had a blow-out!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding on a plug in the rear tire for a little over 7500 miles. I bought the bike with the plug in so it has been in for even longer. Took a 2000 mile road trip with it and did some very aggressive riding with no problems. Whenever I would check tire pressure it never lost a lot of pressure (1-3psi maybe). Actually, the front would more frequently be low. The plug is off-center in the tread. The tire is now at the end of its life and on the wear bars and I'm gettin ready to mount a new set of bt-023's! :rockon:
Here is a link to the syle of plug.
Tire Repair Kit - Tire Repair - Automotive Exterior - 1ELA3 : Grainger Industrial Supply

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, those be the plugs. They still get cemented in but the pressure in the tire actually helps the plug to seal better. Well, I am sure it doesn't hurt!:rolleyes:

As long as you get good adhesion (like a bike tube) it won't leak and it definitly WON'T come out.

The above post, with the sting plugs is what we used in my friends FJR. He was going to buy a new tire so we practiced on it. Went it fairly easily, (no glue as they ARE STICKY) and NEVER leaked. He left it in until he sold the bike.. I had the package (under a different name) apart and re-packed it to fit under the seat for emergency/on the road repairs...

I currently keep a "Dyna Plug" under the seat of both of my bikes, very small and easier to install than the string:

Welcome to Dynaplug.com! Home of The World's Best Tire Repair Tool!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After using the dynaplug, how long did you ride on the tire? Did it hold up and hold air well?

I carry the Dyna plug, I haven't used it except for practicing on a junk tire... My friend used it and didn't have any problems, actually he recommended it to me...

My tire repair was a Steelman patch/plug as the tire went flat over night at home.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently fixed my BT016 rear (nail) with one of those string rubber plugs. I used the rasp tool to ream the hole, roughed it, and, as added insurance, applied cement to the rubber string/strip before inserting it into the tire 2/3 of the way. It was relatively quick and easy. I recommend carrrying around one of those $8.00-$10.00 kits if don't want to use the more expensive mushroom kits (I also have the Stop 'n Go kit underneath my seat). Hopefully, I can get another 5,000 miles or so on the plugged tire!

Last edited: