Gutted stock exhaust

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I decided to gut my stock exhaust out (like others have done) and holy **** was that a tough job! After alot of grinding, cutting & welding I've got it back together and I think this might be the "deeper" sound I was looking for. It's not too loud, or high pitched. I realize now I did things the "hard" way, mainly because of the tools i have. Instead of using a plasma cutter, i used a angle grinder to cut the muffler open, which made the removal of the pipes & fasteners inside the already tight space even worse. Didn't really cost me anything tho, just alittle time & energy. :thumbup:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUcol2cLEEw]YouTube - gutted out fz6 exhaust (low idle)[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bW_vSKO6Jk]YouTube - gutted/cleaned out fz6 (high idle)[/ame]

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good, I just got the biggest drill bit that fit inside the outlet hole and drilled out the metal baffle, took 20 min.

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing (drilling the exhaust) before I gutted the muffler out, and used a 7/8" inch cutter, and it did sound better/Louder than stock. But i wanted "a little" bit more sound out of it, and I think I might have got it, just need some warmer weather up here to hear what it sounds like on the road!:BLAA:

Last edited:

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
Left it wide open. I removed everything inside, except for about 5" of the outlet pipes & the inlet. Kinda shows how quiet the stock muffler really is!! Because its still not very loud, even with an empty can. :thumbup:

Last edited:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
It would have been louder if you would have removed the 2 exit pipes that extend into the muffler. I did that with my yamaha kodiak muffler when I removed the spark arrestor and it made a big difference in sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just been wondering :rolleyes:
what it would sound like if you would have replaced
the 2 pipes that extend out of the muffler with two bigger pipes:confused:

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to find out, I didn't have the tools or the know how, to pull that off (the right way). I haven't seen pics or video of anyone who has done that job yet. I'm sure it would sound mean!!:rockon:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
If your like me I'm after deeeper not to much louder
On an other thread 3 days ago I drilled just one side just 3 holes 3/8 bit and thats all I need.
Now deeper would be cool but try this first if you haven't already.
Just my $.02

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love a set but there $700 or $800 :eek:
Pay that and then they want $100 to quiet them down.:(
In this economy I'd rather us the money for a long trip.:thumbup: