Guilt Ridden and Severely Bummed out

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion... You're not in any way responsible. You could not have known that your stupid drunken friend was going to jump on your bike without your permission. If it was me in your position and one of my friends acted like that, I'd wait until he got out of hospital and then personally put the twunt straight back in there again. And I'd make damn sure he paid in full for the damage, and he'd definitely be off my party list.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
So sorry this happened. Hopefully your friend will heal well. Between three bikes I've put 15,000 miles on in under 2 years. The FZ6 has been heaven. But every story like this that I hear or read seems to be telling me to sell the bike before something bad happens. There's no two ways about it. They are dangerous. Don't be too hard on yourself.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He clearly didn't have a clue about how to ride.

OKAY! Enough said about the drinking as everyone agrees that any amounts of alchohol usually results in some sort of disaster.

The point also made by Fred is that you have to make sure if you intend to let anyone ride your bike, you have to KNOW that they can ride! Just getting gear is not sufficient. I have let others ride my Fizzer, but I know for a fact that they have the knowlege, skills and ability to ride.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OKAY! Enough said about the drinking as everyone agrees that any amounts of alchohol usually results in some sort of disaster.

The point also made by Fred is that you have to make sure if you intend to let anyone ride your bike, you have to KNOW that they can ride! Just getting gear is not sufficient. I have let others ride my Fizzer, but I know for a fact that they have the knowlege, skills and ability to ride.

I NEVER let anyone ride my bike. Just because they have skills and knowledge about their bike, doesn't mean mine will not react differently with them on it. Every bike reacts differently under certain circumstances.

Now, I *might* let another FZ6 rider on my FZ6 because they are accustomed to how the FZ6 reacts. But, only if I know they're skilled and even more importantly, *responsible* as well as respectful of my property.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I NEVER let anyone ride my bike. Just because they have skills and knowledge about their bike, doesn't mean mine will not react differently with them on it. Every bike reacts differently under certain circumstances.

I'm exactly the same way. Glad to hear your buddy is going to be ok, and I'm happy to see you're being honest with yourself regarding this crash. One thing to keep in mind is that booze and motor vehicles are not a good combination. Booze and motorcycles should NEVER mix.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Now, I *might* let another FZ6 rider on my FZ6 because they are accustomed to how the FZ6 reacts. But, only if I know they're skilled and even more importantly, *responsible* as well as respectful of my property.

I let Fred ride my bike, what does that say about me???

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear what has happened dude. Hope your mate mends real quick and you get the bike back up and running real soon.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer to hear about your mates injuries & the damage to your bike :(

In this instance you cannot beat yourself up. Your friend is resposible for his actions. If his skills were affected by the drink then he should drink less or stay off motorcycles when he has had a few, or even one.

As far as the $$$ is concerned. A good mate of mine lent his bike to a friend at the track last week. 2nd lap & down he goes :eek:

The poor guy limped back into the pits apologising to no end. The owner had a simple response. You always treat someone elses bike like a prostitute. If you (insert expletive) it you are gonna pay for it.

Chin up & Merry Xmas

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have a rule too: if they can pay for it - cash - and have a motorcycle license, they can ride it. I have friends with m/c licenses that couldn't pay to replace my bike who I wouldn't let ride just because spit happens and I don't want to have to go down that road. I also know people that have the money to pay for it but lack experience and I wouldn't want to see them get hurt.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know what mistakes you made, and im assuming you will have to remind your buddy what mistakes he made. I am against drinking and driving 100%, however that doesn't change anything. I think he should replace your bike! You made a few mistakes but the majority part of the blame is on your friend. As far as the insurance company I wish you the best on that one. Alcohol was involved so......

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Does this mean you won't let anyone drive your car or truck? Because we know that your vehicle will behave and react differently than what others are use to.

A rider must be proficient in three areas to operate a motorcycle safely. They must have the knowledge, skills and ability to ride. So you either know how to ride or you dont!

+ 1 on being responsible.

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the support given and the various perspectives offered. You guys/gals are great, even the ones beating up on me;) I really appreciate being able to share, and "heal". There's not a lot of folks I can talk to here in Bangkok. Family are a long way off and good friends are few an far between. I am glad I can get some stuff off my chest without burdening my wife. Thank you all for your comments, I think it helps a lot.

I agree that my friend is to blame too. But had he asked for permission would I have denied it in my stupid state? Probably not. I guess that's my point about preparing in advance by checking the keys in with someone responsible. You know what they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

A couple of points to add:

1) My friend does know how to drive a bike, but obviously not when intoxicated, and obviously he had no idea of the power of this particular bike. Too, much throttle a little too quick on the clutch is all it took. I truly believe had no idea how the bike was going to respond.

2) The insurance has agreed to cover some of his medical expenses and also the bike. They are not giving me any hassle.

3) My friend has no memory, and no idea of the whole incident. I don't think all the pieces have fallen into place for him. I believe he suffers the physical pain, but will never fully understand the wider impact emotional trauma shared by those affected. I believe that is best. There has been more than enough emotional pain to pass around for all adding emotional trauma to his physical only makes more suffering, and there's been enough of that. My wife wakes with nightmares over the last couple of nights.

4) There's a god-awful dent in the center of tank. So anyone suggesting that he deserves a kick in the N*ts can rest easy knowing the bike has already sought it's own revenge. I'll try to post up the pics later.

5) I did not first buy the bike to covet it. Quite the contrary. I dreamed of riding with some of my buddies. Sharing the "joy of riding". I have no qualms about sharing my bike, it most definitely does not come remotely close to the status of my wife. I won't kill you for riding my bike, the converse is not true. But I have learned that a rider must familiarize themselves with the bike. I did this instinctively, practicing clutching, throttle, accelerating and braking around side streets. Just because my buddy had a license, does not mean he's knows this bike nor is he prepared to jump on and ride (sober or drunk). This is definitely a revelation to me. Bikes and rider must form a "bond" and respect for the "hidden beast" cannot be accomplished by looking at the bike, it must be from experience in a controlled environment.

Finally: Here's a little anecdote to help ease the gravity of the situation: The following day my 4 year old daughter and I were walking the dog. My foot hit something and the sound of plastic jingled along the pavement. It was a piece of the fairing. "Pick it up, daddy" she said. "Why?" I asked. "You can fix it" was the reply. I answered "No honey, it too badly broken". "But you have super glue!" she retorted, picking up the plastic and handing it to me. Cute kid. :) Sure helps cheer up her ol dad.

Last edited:

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing beats being a Dad. The choice is either; rise to the occasion or try to explain ... better get the super glue out.

Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad everyone gets a second chance.

Mistakes compound. The curve is very steep. You have to catch it quickly, very close to the beginning to have any chance of stopping it.

This wasn't your fault, next time will be different for all of us.

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Fred summed this up best and I totally agree.

I hope your friend gets back to 100% but I also hope he takes 100% of the responsibility for fixing or replacing the bike. Technically, he should also be arrested for drunk driving and face those charges as well. Expect your insurance to resist so you may have to seek restitution from his insurance.

If this had happened to the friend you INTENDED to let use the bike, then I'd say you are 100% responsible but you had no idea this guy was going to jump on and rocket out.

Regardless, BECAUSE of the alcohol, the keys should have never made an appearance. Better said would have been, "Sure, maybe tomorrow when we're all sober!" Like Fred said, you had more to drink thus you're the last person to judge who is or is not sober.

You can't change what happened but you can never let it happen again. Lesson learned!

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
OOps sorry about that previous post

Just to add some law enforcement logic to the previous statements:

I hope your friend gets back to 100% but I also hope he takes 100% of the responsibility for fixing or replacing the bike. Technically, he should also be arrested for drunk driving and face those charges as well. Expect your insurance to resist so you may have to seek restitution from his insurance.

If this had happened to the friend you INTENDED to let use the bike, then I'd say you are 100% responsible but you had no idea this guy was going to jump on and rocket out.

Regardless, BECAUSE of the alcohol, the keys should have never made an appearance. Better said would have been, "Sure, maybe tomorrow when we're all sober!" Like Fred said, you had more to drink thus you're the last person to judge who is or is not sober.

If your guilt doesn't help you out you can have this arguement in your back pocket...in New York of USA; inserting the keys in the ignition is considered "Operating" a motor vehicle. If you are drunk at the time(0.8 blood alcohol content) you are "operating a motor vehicle while under the influence". So then the keys shouldn't come out at all. :)

PS. I have had my share of 'DOH' moments, even w/o alcohol. I feel your, and your friends pain. (see my profile pic). Yeah, that happened on the FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
.in New York of USA; inserting the keys in the ignition is considered \"Operating\" a motor vehicle. If you are drunk at the time(0.8 blood alcohol content) you are \"operating a motor vehicle while under the influence\".

DUI is Driving under the influence. So in New York, is it called OUI? I don't know how putting the keys in the ignition can be considered operating a vehicle. If the motor ain't running, really can't say that it is operating. You could be listening to the radio. Sounds kind of ridiculous.

Now in my opinion, it should be illegal to drive with any amounts of alcohol in your system. In other words, you have a beer, you can't drive. Period!
This would eliminate so much of the gray areas, whether you are considered impaired, intoxicated, etc.

I'm waiting for the first state to implement this law. I think there are several countries that already have a similar law.