Gonna turn my bike into a Cafe racer...of sorts!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i am bored, and i feel like a change....

I have decidedd that tomorrow, i am going to begin transforming my bike again...

Just about all the riding i do these days is recreational, and there are no long touring trips coming up, so for now, i am going to turn my bike into a Cafe Racer of sorts...more than anything to see what it feels like in Sports riding mode...cause i am thinking of taking the black beast to the track soon...

All of this coupled with the fact, that my dodgy shoulder has been very good of late, and i reckon i can deal with the more aggresively forward pitched riding position for shortish rides at least, without too much physical pain and distress afterwards..

I have the Clip-on handlebar's to do the conversion to a sports riding position, Woodcraft Clip-ons from the Pink FZ6 cup bike...and i already have the rearset backset plates on the rearsets on the bike, so i am half way there in regards to the riding position.

Apart from this, there aint much to be done, other than to put some new sticky tyres on, and ride!!!

But i am going to do a few more mods whilst i am there....

Rizoma Bar end mirrors...black
View attachment 25946

Rizoma Sportline grips...black
View attachment 25947

These are on order, and are still not here...

This is what the "****pit" will look like with clip-on's in place....only difference, is, there will be bar end mirror's attached to the bars! and the bike has a black tank, not the old orange tank!

View attachment 25948

View attachment 25949

Will still keep standard headlight, rather than the twin headlight look...

I am also going to get my Two Brothers exhaust end caps ceramic coated in black onyx while i am there....they are looking a bit shabby, and need a bit of a freshen up, and the black onyx, will match the frame & swingarm clour...

Once all this is done, i will go for a few rides, and see what i think, and if i hate it, i will change things back, which is easy, cause no cable, etc, will need to be cut, shortened, or lengthened...

Will start tomorrow, and take photo's of it as i go....

And for those that will ask, yes, i will still be doing the big bore kit in the motor, and yes, i am in the process of sorting out titanium headers for the exhaust...

Oh yeah, i will also be putting a new 520 chain & new 520 sprockets on this weekend (-2, +1), and a new set of Bridgestone BT003rs tyres next week.

:rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i am bored, and i feel like a change....

I have decidedd that tomorrow, i am going to begin transforming my bike again...

Just about all the riding i do these days is recreational, and there are no long touring trips coming up, so for now, i am going to turn my bike into a Cafe Racer of sorts...more than anything to see what it feels like in Sports riding mode...cause i am thinking of taking the black beast to the track soon...

All of this coupled with the fact, that my dodgy shoulder has been very good of late, and i reckon i can deal with the more aggresively forward pitched riding position for shortish rides at least, without too much physical pain and distress afterwards..

I have the Clip-on handlebar's to do the conversion to a sports riding position, Woodcraft Clip-ons from the Pink FZ6 cup bike...and i already have the rearset backset plates on the rearsets on the bike, so i am half way there in regards to the riding position.

Apart from this, there aint much to be done, other than to put some new sticky tyres on, and ride!!!

But i am going to do a few more mods whilst i am there....

Rizoma Bar end mirrors...black
View attachment 25946

Rizoma Sportline grips...black
View attachment 25947

These are on order, and are still not here...

This is what the "****pit" will look like with clip-on's in place....only difference, is, there will be bar end mirror's attached to the bars! and the bike has a black tank, not the old orange tank!

View attachment 25948

View attachment 25949

Will still keep standard headlight, rather than the twin headlight look...

I am also going to get my Two Brothers exhaust end caps ceramic coated in black onyx while i am there....they are looking a bit shabby, and need a bit of a freshen up, and the black onyx, will match the frame & swingarm clour...

Once all this is done, i will go for a few rides, and see what i think, and if i hate it, i will change things back, which is easy, cause no cable, etc, will need to be cut, shortened, or lengthened...

Will start tomorrow, and take photo's of it as i go....

And for those that will ask, yes, i will still be doing the big bore kit in the motor, and yes, i am in the process of sorting out titanium headers for the exhaust...

Oh yeah, i will also be putting a new 520 chain & new 520 sprockets on this weekend (-2, +1), and a new set of Bridgestone BT003rs tyres next week.

You should get your parts soon. Mike got his beginning of last week - very happy with them. :D

Looking forward to see the transformation. :thumbup:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
how much are the clipons? wont it hit the tank?

do give a review of the bt003rs as well. :) contemplating between that and diablo dragon supercorsa..

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much are the clipons? wont it hit the tank?

do give a review of the bt003rs as well. :) contemplating between that and diablo dragon supercorsa..

There is a steel plate that bolts onto the bottom triple clamp, this acts as a stopper, limiting steering lock, and preventing the bars from hitting the tank.

Makes turning the bike while at a stop a pain! Definitely not a set up foe everyday riding duties!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
That is going to be sweet :thumbup:

My trouble is I always have plans for the bike,but because I ride it everyday,I never have the time to carry them out!
Doesn't help not having a garage and it being dark when I get in from work.Still summers here soon ;)

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wolfman,
Cafe was my choice as well... I have most all the same mods you are looking for... here are some pics and a listing of mods so far.. I have ordered the Ottimotto rearsets which I will alter slightly and match the passenger pegs to. The storage tail cowl really finishes the look of my bike.. the write up is here... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29032-seat-cowl-storage-fz6.html I had the idea of a triumph speed triple when starting this bike but really liked the FZ6 body over the brit, so I started making my own... As far as the tail, I love the "bulby" Ducati tails so I decided to make one with storage...pics are a bit grainy if wanted I can get better ones...

Rizoma handle grips, rizoma bar ends, rizoma reverse retro mirrors, rizoma oil cap, rizoma bake brake fluid res., black clubman handle bars, custom gauge bracket with my insignia in it!, european gauge case, Aztec8 dual 5 3/4" headlights, custom LED flush mounts, Two Brothers Exhaust, custom LED license plate light, custom LED tail light with integrated signals, and custom LED tail signals...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wolfman,
Cafe was my choice as well... I have most all the same mods you are looking for... here are some pics and a listing of mods so far.. I have ordered the Ottimotto rearsets which I will alter slightly and match the passenger pegs to. The storage tail cowl really finishes the look of my bike.. the write up is here... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29032-seat-cowl-storage-fz6.html I had the idea of a triumph speed triple when starting this bike but really liked the FZ6 body over the brit, so I started making my own... As far as the tail, I love the "bulby" Ducati tails so I decided to make one with storage...pics are a bit grainy if wanted I can get better ones...

Rizoma handle grips, rizoma bar ends, rizoma reverse retro mirrors, rizoma oil cap, rizoma bake brake fluid res., black clubman handle bars, custom gauge bracket with my insignia in it!, european gauge case, Aztec8 dual 5 3/4" headlights, custom LED flush mounts, Two Brothers Exhaust, custom LED license plate light, custom LED tail light with integrated signals, and custom LED tail signals...

Very nice....Yours will be slightly different to mine, in that i will be retaining (in my case, the bike started life as an FZ6N) the stock headlight, regardless of the fact that i have a dual headlight available to use, and that i will be using clip-on bars, which i also already have...

I dunno if mine will stay with the Cafe look, but i have always been a fan of the sports riding position a cafe racer style bike presents....i rode a Ducati 500 pantah for 15 years, and that thing is definitely, head down , bum up!!!

Only reason i changed to a more upright bike, is beacause i have had a lot of trouble with a dodgy back and shoulder in the past, and sorta needed to go "soft" on the riding position, hence the FZ6!

The Rizoma stuff has always been on the agenda too...but have been waiting for US dollar to fall against Aussie dollar, which it has, so now i get to buy the rizoma stuff from the States for the right price, not the Australian price!

I already have Valtermoto rearsets, & pazzo levers, which i think will contribute well to the cafe racer theme...as will the TCP seat cowl, and Puig bellypan, i have on the bike.

Part of my ongoing mods to my bike is to continue to lighten the thing up, next will be to replace the OEM exhaust headers with a set of custom titanium headers....R6 headers, with a custom mid pipe to make them work with the FZ6 underseat exhaust...have been quietly researching this for quite some time, and am close to assembling the bits i need, and the right welder to fabricate...

Whoops, i am rambling again!

:D

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
We should start our own group called the FZ6 cafe racers. It could be a sub-category of StreetFighter LOL.. Y'alls bikes look good. Nice to see others with the clip-on aggressive riding style on an FZ6.

Wolfman. I too shortened my throttle and clutch cables so that I could put my front mask on. It was amazing how much extra you have when you drop the distance from the handle bar to the clip-ons. I went the whole nine as I grinded my risers off and filled them with aluminum weld. Keep us updated. If you got any question, shoot me a PM.

Later,
Jeremy

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol you could have titled the thread: "adding clipons to my FZ6"... would have been a bit more accurate :)

Was the engine mod completed btw? did I miss your review?

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice....Yours will be slightly different to mine, in that i will be retaining (in my case, the bike started life as an FZ6N) the stock headlight, regardless of the fact that i have a dual headlight available to use, and that i will be using clip-on bars, which i also already have...

FYI.... you may have problems using clip-ons with the original FZ6N headlight. I initially planned on doing clip-on with the FZ1N headlight, but I ran into a problem with not having enough room to attach the mounting bracket to the forks as the clip-ons were mounted directly under the top triple tree clamp. Not sure if that will be your case but that was definitely my challenge which is why I went with the Ripper Mask.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI.... you may have problems using clip-ons with the original FZ6N headlight. I initially planned on doing clip-on with the FZ1N headlight, but I ran into a problem with not having enough room to attach the mounting bracket to the forks as the clip-ons were mounted directly under the top triple tree clamp. Not sure if that will be your case but that was definitely my challenge which is why I went with the Ripper Mask.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes i have prepared myself for this, i reckon i may be ok with the woodcraft clip-ons, but if i am not, then i will use the dual headlight i used when i turned my other FZ6 (FZ6Cup bike) into a road bike...but it would bemuch easier to retain the OEM headlight, if it all fits.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol you could have titled the thread: "adding clipons to my FZ6"... would have been a bit more accurate :)

Was the engine mod completed btw? did I miss your review?

Aw, c'mon, and ruin a good headline! Sheesh!

As for the engine mod, i think i have written this about 6 times now! I ran out of time & money late last year, when i originally was planning to do it, as i was busy putting all my time & resources into building the shop!!!

It's still happening, and very soon, just as soon as it gets cold & wet around these parts...the bike is going to undergo quite a large transformation this winter....

Yep, your right, OEM headlight stops me from using Clip-ons, so, i have decided to do something i have resisted for a very long time...go full streetfighter on the headlight!!!!

I have a twin headlight i can use, but i dont think it suits the rest of the bike, so now i am going to get something else...and i am in a quandery as to what to get...here are a few i found last night that i like...

View attachment 26003

HesaHeadlightFireBlack_resized.jpg

View attachment 26005

View attachment 26006

View attachment 26007

View attachment 26008

Am pretty keen on the minimalist looking stacked headlights, less a fan of the Fighter masks...

If anyone has any other idea's, post em up, i am keen to get people's opinions!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE we have similar taste! Those are some of the same ones I considered. As a matter of fact, I got the 4th one down on your list.

Yeah, out of all the tons of fighter masks that are out there, that one seems to be the right sorta size & profile for the FZ6....

It also looks to come with decent quality lights in it...are they?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

I dunno if mine will stay with the Cafe look, but i have always been a fan of the sports riding position a cafe racer style bike presents....i rode a Ducati 500 pantah for 15 years, and that thing is definitely, head down , bum up!!!

Only reason i changed to a more upright bike, is beacause i have had a lot of trouble with a dodgy back and shoulder in the past, and sorta needed to go "soft" on the riding position, hence the FZ6!

The Rizoma stuff has always been on the agenda too...but have been waiting for US dollar to fall against Aussie dollar, which it has, so now i get to buy the rizoma stuff from the States for the right price, not the Australian price!

I already have Valtermoto rearsets, & pazzo levers, which i think will contribute well to the cafe racer theme...as will the TCP seat cowl, and Puig bellypan, i have on the bike.

Part of my ongoing mods to my bike is to continue to lighten the thing up, next will be to replace the OEM exhaust headers with a set of custom titanium headers....R6 headers, with a custom mid pipe to make them work with the FZ6 underseat exhaust...have been quietly researching this for quite some time, and am close to assembling the bits i need, and the right welder to fabricate...

Whoops, i am rambling again!

:D

Good luck with the mods! Trust me, I understand the back issues. (This is largely why I ended up with the Fazer in the first place) BTW: We love it when you "ramble". (Don't ever worry about it, it's not rambling)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She looks Awesome stripped down to her birthday suit!! LOL I you could get it as close to this with the wiring hidden and as little plastic covers as possible that would be truly different maybe polish or paint the frame to make it stand out more too would realy bring out damiens character !! :sinister: :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She looks Awesome stripped down to her birthday suit!! LOL I you could get it as close to this with the wiring hidden and as little plastic covers as possible that would be truly different maybe polish or paint the frame to make it stand out more too would realy bring out damiens character !! :sinister: :rockon:

After spending the last 12 months, or so, in the company of my polished wheels, and the insane amount of work needed to keep them looking decent, i aint poilshing anything else...especially the frame....man, that's a lot of elbow grease!!!!

But it would look cool.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After spending the last 12 months, or so, in the company of my polished wheels, and the insane amount of work needed to keep them looking decent, i aint poilshing anything else...especially the frame....man, that's a lot of elbow grease!!!!

But it would look cool.

Dude look at this...... :drool:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Aw, c'mon, and ruin a good headline! Sheesh!

As for the engine mod, i think i have written this about 6 times now! I ran out of time & money late last year, when i originally was planning to do it, as i was busy putting all my time & resources into building the shop!!!

It's still happening, and very soon, just as soon as it gets cold & wet around these parts...the bike is going to undergo quite a large transformation this winter....

lol sorry bro...

Hurry up already, we're all waiting to hear from you about the engine :rockon: