Getting the Bike back on the road

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I finally settled with the insurance. They totaled the bike because of the small scrape on the frame.:eek: Even the adjuster who rides said it doesn't make sense but because of liability they had to.

My choices were basically take the value of $5400 for the bike or buy it back for salvage value which left me with $3200 to fix the bike. So I took the bike and the $3200 and will fix the bike myself. They will also be paying something for my damaged gear also, should be 80% since I did not have the receipts.

Ordered the parts that I needed yesterday and will have them on Friday. So far I plan on spending about $1200 on parts which will include Motivation Sliders and the FE kit from SBN. I will make out pretty well on the deal. With the extra money I decided to by some good gear. The shop I went to had just gotten in a shipment of First Gear Riding gear. I picked up the new Rainier Jacket and pants. Seems like good stuff, it's vented, waterproof etc. Might be a little hot for the extreme days. I got the outer jacket in Black which has gray reflective stripes.

Can't wait to ride.:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that sounds about perfect to me.

That jacket looks sweet!

It will be even sweeter when the other guys insurance coughs up my $500 deductible that my insurance kept. Which would mean getting $3700, I now have to decide on some more mods. Thinking about LED blinkers.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a tough way to come about the funding but I'm glad it all worked out in the end for you. Does this mean the bike will have a salvage title though?

Here's where you can be as creative as you want! It will be interesting to see what changes you make... planned any or going back to stock?

Ride safe!

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you will be up and running again soon :)

Have fun re-creating the masterpiece.

Deb

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a tough way to come about the funding but I'm glad it all worked out in the end for you. Does this mean the bike will have a salvage title though?

Here's where you can be as creative as you want! It will be interesting to see what changes you make... planned any or going back to stock?

Ride safe!

What was interseting is that the adjuster had mention that I would need to report it to the DMV and get a salvage title, but in the same sentence he also mentioned that the insurance company would never pick up on this one way or the other and that the insurance coverage would continue without doing anything. I am thinking about possibly just forgetting to do it. I need to research the ramifications of this.

I just couldn't let it be totalled with the minimal damage. 10 seconds with the dremel tool and some factory paint and the damage to the frame is never to be seen again.

I was thinking about going naked, I looked into the FZ1N headlight but when I saw over $700 for just the light and then still had to do adapting I decided to stay with the fairings. I am installing the FE kit and sliders now. Maybe the bellypan soon.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you will be up and running again soon :)

Have fun re-creating the masterpiece.

Deb

Thanks, I can't wait toget the parts, I already fixed the frame and grab bar. Also just changed the oil and filter, nothing else to do but sit in the garage and look at it.:(

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I can't wait toget the parts, I already fixed the frame and grab bar. Also just changed the oil and filter, nothing else to do but sit in the garage and look at it.:(

while you wait... :iconbeer: Friday will be here in no time. ;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you should be taking before and after pics of the progress, glad that it is all working out for you, maybe an exhaust now?

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
you should be taking before and after pics of the progress, glad that it is all working out for you, maybe an exhaust now?

I can handle the picks, not sure if I like the exhuast, although I like the sound, the quiet stock one lets me hear my phone ring.

It makes my wife feel better while she worries when I am out riding if she can call me and find out that I am not road kill. Especially after the accident.