getting another bike :)

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
In a few hours I'm going to leave towards my second bike :cheer:

I decided to get a dr650se to prepare for an Africa tour that I want to plan in a couple of years. I decided to go for a cheap bike, able to handle the rough terrain there, simple tech so I can fix most stuff that could go wrong. It is air cooled, so no water pumps or fragile radiator. I found a good deal on a '97 model for about 1000$ and has about 30k km on board. Looks decent. No upgrades, full stock. I like this model as it is the last update from Suzuki. Electric starter added to this version. I am thinking of stripping it all and clean/check everything. Also replace all bearings, sandblasting / repainting the frame. I also plan on reinforcing the frame here and there as I will travel heavy. The main idea is that if anything should happen to this bike on the way, it is not the end of the world for me.
Any tips on checking that everything is all right?
I have to travel 600 km to the bike :) got some driving to do tonight.
added the seller's pics

file_442397_phpqB5dou.jpg

file_442397_phpwtXXt1.jpg

file_442397_phpkmSaiI.jpg

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it! :) it sits in my back yard at the moment. I
Tomorow I will strip everything. Has been abused but engine seems in good condition and frame is ok

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
apparently i test rode new Dr650. There was suzuki demo truck at dealership near my place. not much power(obvious) but Very fun bike , light weight. Good luck with your tour. post trip report.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Cool bike. Although it is air cooled it is also oiled cooled and has a radiator that is in a place that seems more vulnerable then most water-cooled bikes.

Are you planning on using this bike for the tour or using this bike to prepare you for the the tour. I'd be nervous depending on such a old bike for what sound like a ride of a lifetime even if you replace most of the bad parts.

Last edited:

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I have several reasons for chosing this bike. First of all, it is a cheap bike. If anything should happen to it I can go home in peace :) The technology is simple and proved, and after I take it apart and rebuild everything then I will know the bike, and anything that could go wrong I will be able to fix it in those remore places. As I don't have enough money I can build it over time so I won't feel the money going away that bad :))
There are bikes like this that have over 150k km on board and still running great. Again, this will stretch over a period of about 2 years, only for prepping the bike. Another good candidate would be the Tenere but it is more expensive, and I would hurt if she would fall, even on grass! Today I'm starting with stripping the bike. I will try to document the whole process, and post updates into a sepparate thread.