Gear storage?

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering how everyone stores their gear when not in use, whether for the off season or just between rides. I'd be especially interested in the city folk who don't have a garage or the ability to build/buy a shed, as that's my situation.

The reason I ask is that we have limited closet space, and my 3 jackets, 2 helmets, boots, gloves, tankbag and mesh pants are starting to take over (and my collection is likely to grow, not shrink). I'm thinking of getting a big, airtight tub (from Target or Kohl's or what have you) and just throwing my stuff in there. Then I can either tuck it in a corner or even leave it out on the balcony. I'm mostly worried about the gear itself or the padding within it losing its form from not being hung up. In addition, there are all sorts of loose bits (parts of zippers, extra visors, etc) that I'd prefer keeping all together in a single place, rather than sort of spread out as they are now.

Anyone have any other space-saving solutions? What do you use?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my jacket hung up by the door. I'm down to one right now, an Alter Ego, so I don't need a separate mesh and 'normal' jacket. :D My helmet, gloves, and random other stuff sits on a shelf by the door.

You got room to hang a 2'ish shelf from Lowe's or something? I'd make sure to hang the shelf real good if you were going to hang all 3 jackets, though!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I snagged one of these from Craigslist and put it in the garage. I have my 2 mesh jackets, 1 heavy textile jacket, and 1 helmet/gloves with tons of room to spare. Once I add some plywood shelves it would easily store 2 helmets or a helmet/ couple pairs of boots near the bottom. Mine is about 22 inches deep and the door just closes comfortably with my jackets on hangers, I would not go slimmer than that if you use hangers.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thankfully, I have a garage now. I hang my jackets and pants on hangers on the bottom rail of the garage door track. Helmets and boots go on a 3 level shelf, and gloves etc. go in a 3 drawer rubbermaid cabinet.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like we have the same issue - limited space. Gloves in the helmet, gear on hangers in the closet (jackets X2) w/boots. Winter I hang the leather pants over a barred hanger so as not to stress the zipped sections Jacket -2- pants.

It really stores well in one place when in use it protecting ME tho! :BLAA:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to treat and store your gear like camping gear, essentially make sure it is well aired and dry before storing.
I had a Hein Gericke textile jacket which I stored after the winter in a trunk.
I had aired it on the washing line but after 3 months of being in trunk mildew had grown on it.
Now I remove any liners and hang the gear separately on hangers in the shed/garage.

Neil:thumbup: