Gear Selection Problems

Tim Askew

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I went out for a ride a couple of days ago & started losing gears until eventually I only had 4th gear (I think).
I pulled off the selector housing & checked the fork & drum etc & found nothing wrong, put it all back together & it works perfect again.The problem is I have'nt done anything to fix it so I guess it's going to happen again.
Anyone got any ideas ?????

I've had this with mine a couple of times when downshifting comming up on a set of lights etc. I dont really understand it but It seems to be linked to chain tension as I have only had it when the chain was a bit too slack.
I could always get the gears eventually when it happened to me.

Thank you for that but what I experienced seemed a bit more serious than that.(had to ride home stuck in one gear for last 5 miles)
I've just spoken to my local Yamaha dealer & he says the only thing that ever goes wrong on them is the selector drum return spring but I checked that & it was OK.

Man my bike is acting up also! It started yesterday so far its only had issues getting it into first even when stopped and even slipped into neutral twice from first. What the heck is going on?

Not sure mechanically what the problem might be, but always make sure to shift "with authority" and fully depress the clutch on downshifts. That might help with the false neutrals. It apparently happens in 1st and 2nd to some folks, I've never had it though.

Another thing I do is just really kick it when going into 1st. Sometimes I used to get stuck in neutral at a light. I shifted harder, and I do it about 90% less now.

Not sure about the question the OP has though...?

Never happened on this gear box but I've had it happen on Honda's. The fact that it works now means something. Internally at the shift drum when things go wrong they don't fix themselves. Out at the shift shaft where the springs and levers mate to the drum, I've seen those pins fall out even tho the weren't broke and plate never came off.

In this manual, top of page 268, inspect those pins real closely for fractures and worn or broken material.

You might even take shifter assembly to the machine shop and have them do a stress crack check using die. They spot things you can't see with the naked eye. Like you, I would be concerned it would happen again.

You take any pictures?

Did you change the oil and what did it look like? You might pull the filter and cut it open. Spread out the pleats and look for metal fragments to see if something broke off.

Thank you for that but what I experienced seemed a bit more serious than that.(had to ride home stuck in one gear for last 5 miles)
I've just spoken to my local Yamaha dealer & he says the only thing that ever goes wrong on them is the selector drum return spring but I checked that & it was OK.

My suspicion would be that the seal on the shifter shaft is drying out, and becoming sticky.

The shifter return spring is supposed to pull the shifter back to the neutral spot between gears. If it 'hangs' and does not return all the way, you are locked out of making another shift.

Try spraying lithium grease on the shaft where it passes into the cases. Do the same with every pivoting point in the shifter linkage. Wiggle it up and down as you spray to work the lube in.

Have you checked the clutch cable recently? It may seem trivial, but I had some issues(mostly rider error though, lol), and the clutch cable had a bit too much slack. I tightened it up at the lever, and haven't had a problem since.

Don't our trans' have gear selector dogs, or something along those lines? I know on other Yamahas, those can become stripped, and when that happens, you'll start having problems that get worse and worse.

That exact same thing happened to me, I lubricated all the shifter joints and worked perfect. I used the same chain lubricant.

Hope this helps.

There are 3 shifter forks with the pin(dogs) that ride on the shifter drum...

As stated above, I would clean and adjust the clutch cable, to eliminate that and clean lubricate all the shifter linkages as there have been numerous previous posts of that sticking.

I suspect the problem may be deeper but until it locks up, or gets worse tearing into the transmission would have to wait..

I however would try putting the bike on the center stand and gently rotate the rear wheel (bike off) while shifting thru the gears. The op may find if something is hanging up linkage wise, etc...

Thanks for all your input guys,went out yesterday & thashed the bollocks off it for quite a lot of miles & it was just as if it had never gone wrong,watch this space !!!!

**Also, as a side note, if you adjust the shifter (linkage) too low, it will hit the shifter support side plate (rubber mounted) and NOT DOWN SHIFT.

I tried lowering mine a little more and it struck the plate not allowing a downshift, had to adjust it up just a little....

Last edited:
Hi Mate

My monies with RJ2112 (junior member) - I bought a 2007 FZ6 earlier this year which had been pressure washed Nov 2010 and stood in the showroom until I bought it some 4 months later. When I took it out for a spin it was fine, however on route home I lost the first three gears (inc nuetral). This problem continued for several more weeks until I took it back to the showroom operating on 4th gear only. They stripped back the gear selector shaft oil seal and removed a semi seized dry rusted (colapsed) needle bearing assembley. They changed the bearring no problems !
Your intermitent problem sounds very much like mine, examine and lubricate the needle bearing - hope his helps !

My bike started doing the same thing with 1st gear. I noticed that when the bike was cool I was fine but after the bike warmed up I was unable to down shift into first gear.
Last night I cleaned the shifter shaft and applied lithium grease to the shaft and linkage points. My shifting was as smooth as butter this morning coming into work!

I think I am going to add this to my monthly maintenance.

Thanks all! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi Mate

My monies with RJ2112 (junior member) - I bought a 2007 FZ6 earlier this year which had been pressure washed Nov 2010 and stood in the showroom until I bought it some 4 months later. When I took it out for a spin it was fine, however on route home I lost the first three gears (inc nuetral). This problem continued for several more weeks until I took it back to the showroom operating on 4th gear only. They stripped back the gear selector shaft oil seal and removed a semi seized dry rusted (colapsed) needle bearing assembley. They changed the bearring no problems !
Your intermitent problem sounds very much like mine, examine and lubricate the needle bearing - hope his helps !

I think you are bang on with your diagnosis doctor,I have lubed the seal & all seems O.K(sorry it's taken so long to reply)
Hope you enjoying your bike as much as me.

During the last part of my ride yesterday, the bike would not shift down. Was like the shifter was hanging up. Made it quite difficult to get to first at a stop. Wound up riding the last bit in 2nd (30mph speed limit) so would be able to start if necessary.

At home checked it out and the shifter was binding. Took it off and found the shaft - which the leaver rotates on (not the one which goes into the engine) had old, dry and stiff grease in it. Cleaned and lubed and all is well. Seems to make the shifting better as well. Like keef will add to routine maintenance.

Back